How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

So now that we've had a few more July digital events, initially I wasn't overly impressed with anything done so far.

To see if my expectations were completely out of touch, I watched every single Sony and Microsoft E3 and Gamescom presentation since 2013. None of them were ever great. What we have seen in 2020 from both Sony and Microsoft far exceeds any previous events. So much of those previous conferences were spent talking. Then there were entire sections spent on what amounted to total failures. So much time spent on entirely dead hardware like PSVita and Kinect or other concepts like Playroom or TV integration. Even more time spent on entertainment show tie-ins like Sony's Powers or Quantum Break that are entirely dead.

With review of what we had previously, I have to say that so far in 2020 both Sony and Microsoft are absolutely nailing it and providing exceptional improvements with their next-gen marketing.

I highly recommend everyone to at least browse through the E3 and Gamescom presentations since 2013 to regain realistic perspectives*.

*But not really, because it's just a bad experience all around.

So now that we've had a few more July digital events, initially I wasn't overly impressed with anything done so far.

To see if my expectations were completely out of touch, I watched every single Sony and Microsoft E3 and Gamescom presentation since 2013. None of them were ever great. What we have seen in 2020 from both Sony and Microsoft far exceeds any previous events. So much of those previous conferences were spent talking. Then there were entire sections spent on what amounted to total failures. So much time spent on entirely dead hardware like PSVita and Kinect or other concepts like Playroom or TV integration. Even more time spent on entertainment show tie-ins like Sony's Powers or Quantum Break that are entirely dead.

With review of what we had previously, I have to say that so far in 2020 both Sony and Microsoft are absolutely nailing it and providing exceptional improvements with their next-gen marketing.

I highly recommend everyone to at least browse through the E3 and Gamescom presentations since 2013 to regain realistic perspectives*.

*But not really, because it's just a bad experience all around.

I shall take you at your word. :)

I don't think MS presentations were that great. Today's was solid, the gameplay reveal from two months ago was a complete disaster with very negative reactions.

I have the feeling MS though a lot about the hardware and last year they realized they were missing the software and Sony was the other way around, it had a lot of studios already developing games for PS5 even if that meant PS4 would only get a couple of goof titles by the end of the gen. MS had legendary shows (even longer and with more boring parts) in the early days of the 360, still needs to match that.

I don't think MS presentations were that great. Today's was solid, the gameplay reveal from two months ago was a complete disaster with very negative reactions.

I have the feeling MS though a lot about the hardware and last year they realized they were missing the software and Sony was the other way around, it had a lot of studios already developing games for PS5 even if that meant PS4 would only get a couple of goof titles by the end of the gen. MS had legendary shows (even longer and with more boring parts) in the early days of the 360, still needs to match that.

I'm not sure where that is coming from. In all honesty MS has been buying studios to expand the games in development. As I said in the other thread this is the most diverse games line up first party they may have ever had and they haven't even shown us all the games they have in development. There are going to be many titles each year coming to the xbox and pc from microsoft this generation. I wouldn't have expected them to show 2024 or 2025 games today. These games should all be 2020 to 2022 with maybe one or two slipping into 2023.

The other thing to keep in mind is all of MS is working from home and in the united states cases of covid is ramping up again so while things closer to launch like halo might be ready to go some things further out may be reshuffled or pushed back due to this.

They also haven't talked about new service features and all the xcloud features yet or griffin.

For me as a game pass subscriber who is just going pc next gen this Microsoft show was extremely impressive. The game pass stuff will complement my other purchases well.

I'm not sure where that is coming from. In all honesty MS has been buying studios to expand the games in development. As I said in the other thread this is the most diverse games line up first party they may have ever had and they haven't even shown us all the games they have in development. There are going to be many titles each year coming to the xbox and pc from microsoft this generation. I wouldn't have expected them to show 2024 or 2025 games today. These games should all be 2020 to 2022 with maybe one or two slipping into 2023.

The other thing to keep in mind is all of MS is working from home and in the united states cases of covid is ramping up again so while things closer to launch like halo might be ready to go some things further out may be reshuffled or pushed back due to this.

They also haven't talked about new service features and all the xcloud features yet or griffin.

For me as a game pass subscriber who is just going pc next gen this Microsoft show was extremely impressive. The game pass stuff will complement my other purchases well.

I don't think showing games that are 2-3 years away is smart. IMO it was pretty stupid to announce TLOU Part 2 so early. My guess is that they didn't have enough content and they had to fill the show with games that are probably in preproduction or early development. This tells me they were not ready from the software side to launch a brand new console. It's understandable, MS has been riding on Halo,GoW and Forza for years and they need time to build up a library.

My other issue with their presentations is that their messaging is a bit flawed. They show the specs, talk marvel about the graphical capabilities of the console, the only true RDNA2, VRS, RTX, ML, velocity architecture, bla, bla, bla and.... then they show Halo Infinite, which, based on some screenshots, looks worse than a lot of last gen titles. My gosh, why didn't Phil just gathered a team from their DX department and told them "produce me the most amazing tech demo this console can produce" and show that.

My question here is, can XBSX produce anything that has the wow factor like the UE5 demo had? If not, the messaging about the most powerful console in the history of humanity is worthless.

My question here is, can XBSX produce anything that has the wow factor like the UE5 demo had?.

Yes. It can do the UE5 demo. :LOL:

There was the Forza Motorsport 8, but it said captured in-engine, whatever exactly that means.

Yes. It can do the UE5 demo. :LOL:

There was the Forza Motorsport 8, but it said captured in-engine, whatever exactly that means.

Probably means photomode, same as GT7. Racing games already look very good.

The Medium was the one for me that had some of that.

Yes. Nearly all the racing games look so similar now. I'm not interested in most of them unless it allows me to drive like I want, meaning off road and through mailboxes and fences and across yards. :cool:

I don't think showing games that are 2-3 years away is smart. IMO it was pretty stupid to announce TLOU Part 2 so early. My guess is that they didn't have enough content and they had to fill the show with games that are probably in preproduction or early development. This tells me they were not ready from the software side to launch a brand new console. It's understandable, MS has been riding on Halo,GoW and Forza for years and they need time to build up a library.

My other issue with their presentations is that their messaging is a bit flawed. They show the specs, talk marvel about the graphical capabilities of the console, the only true RDNA2, VRS, RTX, ML, velocity architecture, bla, bla, bla and.... then they show Halo Infinite, which, based on some screenshots, looks worse than a lot of last gen titles. My gosh, why didn't Phil just gathered a team from their DX department and told them "produce me the most amazing tech demo this console can produce" and show that.

My question here is, can XBSX produce anything that has the wow factor like the UE5 demo had? If not, the messaging about the most powerful console in the history of humanity is worthless.

Do you believe the games shown at the sony conference are all out in one year ?

I think your not hearing their messaging. Their messaging is here are these awesome experiences and thanks to game pass you can play them on your xbox one , xbox one s , xbox one x , xbox series x , pc and xcloud. Buy into our ecco system and you decide where on xbox you want to play.

You a casual gamer who buys a system for a few games then the xbox one will still play the big games for the next couple of years so that investment can still be worth while. Want the best graphics a console can give you then the xbox series x is that platform. Want to tinker with settings and spend money chasing the newest tech , highest frame rates and resolutions ? You can play on the pc. On the go ? Take out that phone whip out that xbox controller or don't i dunno do what your happy with. But guess what ? Do it all on our platform. Give us your money. That is their messaging.

Also yes Xbox series X can do UE5 but thats just a demo. It remains to be seen when a game with that graphical fidelity comes to the new platforms. I haven't seen a trailer from either company that looks like that.

The last of us 2 was announced in dec of 2016 so it was almost 4 years ago. A 2 year lead time isn't a long time. I believe the majority of the games will be out 2022/23 but with the current pandemic who knows

Do you believe the games shown at the sony conference are all out in one year ?

Their biggest ones are coming either in 2020 (Spiderman) or in 2021 (Horizon,Ratchet). And they look well into development.

Spiderman Miles Morales is coming this year, it has over 20M views on youtube, looks good and somewhat next-gen. Probably will be a hit and it's exclusive. Can't start a next-gen much better than that.

I think your not hearing their messaging. Their messaging is here are these awesome experiences and thanks to game pass you can play them on your xbox one , xbox one s , xbox one x , xbox series x , pc and xcloud. Buy into our ecco system and you decide where on xbox you want to play.

You a casual gamer who buys a system for a few games then the xbox one will still play the big games for the next couple of years so that investment can still be worth while. Want the best graphics a console can give you then the xbox series x is that platform.

Again, I still haven't seen that graphical superiority anywhere. Maybe pixel and frame counters will find differences but so far the overwhelming graphical superiority is just not there.

Want to tinker with settings and spend money chasing the newest tech , highest frame rates and resolutions ? You can play on the pc. On the go ? Take out that phone whip out that xbox controller or don't i dunno do what your happy with. But guess what ? Do it all on our platform. Give us your money. That is their messaging.

Also yes Xbox series X can do UE5 but thats just a demo. It remains to be seen when a game with that graphical fidelity comes to the new platforms. I haven't seen a trailer from either company that looks like that.

The last of us 2 was announced in dec of 2016 so it was almost 4 years ago. A 2 year lead time isn't a long time. I believe the majority of the games will be out 2022/23 but with the current pandemic who knows

I agree the strategy forward is to be a content provider. Sony is shifting to that as well and Nintendo may be forced eventually, although they really like their Apple-like ecosystem.

Their biggest ones are coming either in 2020 (Spiderman) or in 2021 (Horizon,Ratchet). And they look well into development.
They showed no game play for Horizon so i doubt its a 2021 game . To me the biggest game of the show is demo souls and that may not even be a 2022 game either

Spiderman Miles Morales is coming this year, it has over 20M views on youtube, looks good and somewhat next-gen. Probably will be a hit and it's exclusive. Can't start a next-gen much better than that.
Good numbers for Spiderman. Halo has millions of views across its original trailer from E3 and the new demo footage is over 1.6m on the halo channel itself

Again, I still haven't seen that graphical superiority anywhere. Maybe pixel and frame counters will find differences but so far the overwhelming graphical superiority is just not there.
system isn't there. I'd wait to actually see the games running vs teaser trailers of unfinished games

I agree the strategy forward is to be a content provider. Sony is shifting to that as well and Nintendo may be forced eventually, although they really like their Apple-like ecosystem.
and microsoft is way out ahead in terms of getting to that future.

For one monthly cost I can play the biggest xbox games on my phone , tablet , laptop , desktop or xbox.

To me the biggest game of the show is demo souls and that may not even be a 2022 game either

Wait what? A remake made by a small third party studio.

I love souls games but to think the Demon Souls remake was the biggest game at the Sony conference is strange.
The biggest games were in my opinion Spiderman, Ratchet and Clank, Resident evil 8 and Horizon Forbidden West.

Not having an exclusive next gen game on series x at launch is going to cost it and kind of diminishes the wow factor of being the most powerful console.

Wait what? A remake made by a small third party studio.

I love souls games but to think the Demon Souls remake was the biggest game at the Sony conference is strange.
The biggest games were in my opinion Spiderman, Ratchet and Clank, Resident evil 8 and Horizon Forbidden West.

Not having an exclusive next gen game on series x at launch is going to cost it and kind of diminishes the wow factor of being the most powerful console.

We all have different tastes. I don't care for spiderman and don't really care if there is an expansion for it. Ratchet and clank doesn't do much for me as I haven't been into platformers for a very long time. I've also soured on Resident evil at this point. I fell off the boat with part 4 and part 4 and code name veronica were my favorite. Its hard to enjoy a franchise over what 8 main line games or is it 9 ?. Horizon can be good , might pick up the original on sale for the pc.

Like i said the biggest game to me is Demon souls and it doesn't seem like it will be out for years , i don't even think horizon will be out for a few more years also.

Well they respect people that invested on One and specially One-X.

This is ok.

Back