Microsoft Xbox digital events [E3 2020 Replacements]

I must be missing what you guys are seeing negative in halo. Game runs really nice at a stable high frame rate and at 4k. Its a cross gen game with a ton of content (more than double the last two games combined)

MS already said that there is more to come. As some of these titles come closer to release we will see more and more game play

I thought it was a shame that Halo was the most clearcut gameplay sequence. I don't really have any idea what to really expect from XSX exclusive games.

As a Gamepass showcase it was fantastic. They could have reiterated "this is coming to Gamepass" a few more time for my money. Which they have.

I thought it was a good show & I thought Halo looked good too. Come here & the sky is falling? There was no way Halo could have lived up to the hype. After going slow-mo & pausing I can see some places that might be a little rough, but I suspect they have 4 months to put some polish on it. I don't know about you, but I'm going 90 to nothing when playing a Halo game & I don't have a lot of time to go all DF on the game. Remember this is a cross-gen game that will run at 60fps. I will not be surprised if there will be a few sacrifices made. That's just being realistic.

Tommy McClain

There won’t be another Infinite so, in many ways it’s possible that you guys are right. Big lift to start from scratch and develop it into an on-going platform however that is defined.

Thinking about in terms of something like that. I do wonder if Infinite implies that this is the last Halo game you get. And it'll follow a Warframe model where the world just constantly grows and story missions get added through time. Perhaps in a Destiny 2 expansion like manner.

So instead of a new Halo every few years, we get constant content drops and every few years you buy a new major "Story pack."

Likewise similar to Warframe you get periodic engine updates and graphics updates. Despite Warframe coming out in 2013 (2012 for me since I started in closed BETA) it's still using cutting edge graphics and technologies. Not only that but textures and world assets are periodically updated. For example, PBR wasn't really a thing when Warframe Launched but they've since updated all textures in game to support PBR as well as being higher resolution with more detail than the originals. I could see Halo: Infinite doing something similar with the engine and assets constantly being updated to keep up with the latest graphical advances.

Regards,
SB

It was a decent show but my expectations after the hyping and pr talk were sky high. I was expecting something of a bombshell reveal that would make me very angry and feel like i had to get back into xboxs ecosystem or be left out cold. There were some decent looking games but like most of this gen nothing that compelled me to stand up and say "i gotta have that"

Thata just my own personal standard though. Like i said there were nice games shown. The biggesf thing of relevance for me is that dq11 s is coming to ps4. Hopefully they can future proof the game for ps5 and series x with a 4k 60 patch. The checkerboard rendering on pro on the og release sucked and ruined the image

I thought it was a good show & I thought Halo looked good too. Come here & the sky is falling? There was no way Halo could have lived up to the hype. After going slow-mo & pausing I can see some places that might be a little rough, but I suspect they have 4 months to put some polish on it. I don't know about you, but I'm going 90 to nothing when playing a Halo game & I don't have a lot of time to go all DF on the game. Remember this is a cross-gen game that will run at 60fps. I will not be surprised if there will be a few sacrifices made. That's just being realistic.

Tommy McClain

Can agree with you there. It depends on what you expected to see, Infinite is going to be a huge openworld MP oriented title. Visuals where underwhelming if you expected true next gen there. On the other hand, Forza did impress with that next gen feel, so did many others i think, and Fable was just out of this world (but we don't know if it will look like that, probably not).

Again, i feel the same for this show as i did with Sony's. Many non-ingame visual showcases that are amazing, and when there was finally gameplay, it was abit 'meh' or worse.
I'm sure both systems will deliver though.

I think it's the crossgenerational thing that's killing innovation in a lot of these games. They're almost inadvertantly underselling the capabilities of the XSX.

There were some genuinely good games on show. I'm really loving the style of Medium and Forza looks like it's just gonna blow people away.

I'm liking the idea of open world Halo. Despite a few oddities (looks way better in 4k) I noticed the lighting appear in the environment after switching back from the map. Could break immersion a bit.

Fundamentally Microsoft have a really powerful machine that's got huge potential, it just feels undersold atm. I'd like to see a first party game without last gen baggage attached to it.

It was a decent show but my expectations after the hyping and pr talk were sky high. I was expecting something of a bombshell reveal that would make me very angry and feel like i had to get back into xboxs ecosystem or be left out cold. There were some decent looking games but like most of this gen nothing that compelled me to stand up and say "i gotta have that"

Thata just my own personal standard though. Like i said there were nice games shown. The biggesf thing of relevance for me is that dq11 s is coming to ps4. Hopefully they can future proof the game for ps5 and series x with a 4k 60 patch. The checkerboard rendering on pro on the og release sucked and ruined the image
I'm with you on it, the games I'm interested in are available on all platforms, so yea I'm with you on that. Xbox team hyped up next gen graphics more than Sony did. They failed to deliver on their own promise here.

Was the state of their 1st parties(new & old) at a point where they could deliver next-gen exclusive experiences in 2020? I can understand that 343 shouldn't have much of an excuse, but sounds like Halo Infinite was designed from the beginning to be cross-gen game. I don't buy the latest revelation that it was targetted for Series X first. Sounds like it might be better for Microsoft to just wait another year if it's as bad as you guys think it is.

Tommy McClain

Was the state of their 1st parties(new & old) at a point where they could deliver next-gen exclusive experiences in 2020? I can understand that 343 shouldn't have much of an excuse, but sounds like Halo Infinite was designed from the beginning to be cross-gen game. I don't buy the latest revelation that it was targetted for Series X first. Sounds like it might be better for Microsoft to just wait another year if it's as bad as you guys think it is.

Tommy McClain
I would say that upon reviewing the game, frame by frame; it's either super far from complete, or they left all the settings on low. Because it's not reflective at all of what it should be. The original engine trailer of 2018 did not exhibit any of these issues.

ie this trailer in 4K shows 4K textures for instance at a far distance, you can see immaculate detail all the way out into the distance. This is like a hallmark of 4K texture resolution. This is typically what I look for in a 4K game, a very high degree of refinement on textures and details. Then the next step for next generation is to find shadows and lighting. Once again, these are completely missing once the game begins. So they are there during cutscenes, but just go missing once the gameplay starts. Like when you watch this trailer, you look back at the 4K game demo, and none of these textures are present at all. None of this clarity (at least resolve clarity issues), no shadows and lighting that we see here. So I know the engine supports these features, but they just weren't shown. And I find that confusing.

Last edited:
I'm with you on it, the games I'm interested in are available on all platforms
I think it's more than that. The game must run on every platform - fine with that. But also: It must be liked by everybody, devs have to be nice and happy people, critique must be ignored because it's just hate speech, innovation is dead anyways but we can still praise our achievements with reboots/remasters, and to praise each other helps even more to look good.

Meh. I've not seen a single game i want to play, although i'm constantly looking for one. It's cartoons for families, power fantasies for teens, character centric story telling with heart and tears, but no game i could take serious as a grown up. Why? Isn't the average gamer a 35 yo male? Has this changed?
I was optimistic recently, but i fall back to pessimism after Sony and MS show. The next reboot might not be about PacMan but the whole industry maybe. Hope i'm wrong. :|

Yep. None of the big first party stuff had gameplay except Halo, and fucking hell it's the same game 20 years later. The rest is indie games and timed console exclusives which is fine, but it's not why you buy a $600 console.

Yep. Everything is a rehashed sequel or a weird quirky indie game. And I have no idea how I'm supposed to watch TV or Skype with the Series X after having watched this.

I would say that upon reviewing the game, frame by frame; it's either super far from complete, or they left all the settings on low. Because it's not reflective at all of what it should be. The original engine trailer of 2018 did not exhibit any of these issues.

ie this trailer in 4K shows 4K textures for instance at a far distance, you can see immaculate detail all the way out into the distance. This is like hallmark 4K resolution. This is typically what I look for in a 4K game, a very high degree of refinement on textures and details. Then the next step for next generation is to find shadows and lighting. Once again, these are completely missing once the game begins. So they are there during cutscenes, but just go missing once the gameplay starts. Like when you watch this trailer, you look back at the 4K game demo, and none of these textures are present at all. None of this clarity (at least resolve clarity issues), no shadows and lighting that we see here. So I know the engine supports these features, but they just weren't shown. And I find that confusing.

Wasn't the 2018 reveal reportedly running on high-end PC hardware, rather than XB1/X SDKs? Maybe the cross-platform transitioning to XSX SDKs didn't happen until recently, say Jan-March of this year (hence, the glaring issues).

And I have no idea how I'm supposed to watch TV or Skype with the Series X after having watched this.

Switch to a streaming platform like Hulu with Live-TV, YouTubeTV, or Sling or FuboTV. *shrug*

I'm just gonna watch E3 2003 trailers and try to relive those times when jumps in graphics did exist and forget next generation consoles for now, they have been underwhelming so far.
e3 2003 ? What systems were those ?

I mean xbox 360 to xbox one was 8 years and people still complained it was a half step and as I've said before everyone shut up when gears was shown off. This generation gap is 3 years

Wasn't the 2018 reveal reportedly running on high-end PC hardware, rather than XB1/X SDKs? Maybe the cross-platform transitioning to XSX SDKs didn't happen until recently, say Jan-March of this year (hence, the glaring issues).
Not sure. Probably.
I will say this, confidently, this is the most ambitious XBO title I’ve seen. There were absolutely 0 control taken away from the player at any time. It was seemless, uncut, from beginning to end. No QTE no squeezing through spaces, no doors. There was only one massive elevator which still allowed you to do stuff while going up and look around the playable halo map.

Back