The Gunk [XO, XBSX|S, PC]

BRiT

(>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
Legend
Supporter
This has my interest.

From the creators of SteamWorld, embark on an all-new adventure in a vast and alien world where you’ll encounter terrifying enemies and challenging puzzles on your quest to unravel the mystery of a forgotten planet, while saving it in the process.

Interesting, they're finally moving away from using Robots for their characters and setting. I wonder if this means an entirely different universe or if it's a different part of the universe that will somehow tie in with the established Steamworld setting?

Regards,
SB

I absolutely love Steamworld games and am currently near the end of Hand of Gilgamech ! This looks very different but all the best to the team, I hope they keep the humour alive in this dark setting too.

Looks very good and well made, love the art style also. Deserves more sales than it prolly will get, just shows you marketing is everything

edit: actually reminds me of kena spirits (sony dropped the ball on the marketing with this) crossed with nomans sky, looking at gameplay trailer, it seemed to have some performance problems but they showed so little (worrying sign) so who knows if this is a major issue.

Last edited:
Well, that's disappointing, I was looking forward to playing this but the PC port is horrible. You can't rebind the movement keys so you're stuck with WASD which I can't use due to a broken pinkie finger that wasn't set correctly when I was a teen. Bleh.

Regards,
SB

Well, that's disappointing, I was looking forward to playing this but the PC port is horrible. You can't rebind the movement keys so you're stuck with WASD which I can't use due to a broken pinkie finger that wasn't set correctly when I was a teen. Bleh.

Regards,
SB
Doesn't really look like a game you'd want to play with K/M, designed for gamepad.

Doesn't really look like a game you'd want to play with K/M, designed for gamepad.

Any first or third person game is better played on KBM, IMO. I can't think of a single first or third person game that actually controls better with a console controller for me. I only use console controllers for racing games (well game, as I only play FH5) and side scrollers that don't require fine aim.

I absolutely hate using the analog stick to control the camera in first or third person perspective games.

Regards,
SB

Definitely one of the most basic console ports I've ever seen. There's literally zero graphics options other than setting graphics quality to low, medium high etc.

Also a fairly basic relaxation game which could definitely have an audience, but I found it just too boring.

I gave this a shot because of the dev (and I heard it’s short). Quick thoughts from a handful of hours on XCloud:
  • looks okay (via wifi)
  • good VA
  • boring writing
  • linear (vs. open world), so minimal traversal tedium
  • vacuuming the gunk takes too long even after upgrading your glove, which makes a big part of the game feel tedious (an unexpected criticism of a No Man’s Sky-lite from someone who somewhat enjoys NMS)
  • movement is stiff: can’t grab most ledges, need to jump to get off a vine ladder (annoying with small landing platforms)
  • it seems like it’s taking too long to get where it’s going
I was (perhaps unfairly) expecting some more combat in between story beats rather than just very light platforming puzzles. Seems like it’s geared toward a younger audience, so I may be too jaded for it.

Maybe it gets more interesting. I’ll probably give it a little more time before skipping to The Outer Wilds.

I enjoyed it so far, not quite finished it. Fairly laid back puzzle platforming on the tablet between other stuff. Looks really pleasant it think.

The facial animation was a real weak spot for some reason. Don't know why it's so jarring, given the design of the characters.

Any first or third person game is better played on KBM, IMO. I can't think of a single first or third person game that actually controls better with a console controller for me.
Personally, every single one. Particular games with a stealth element because with a controller you have absolutely precise control over how fast or slow a character us moving. Whilst you can do that with a mouse, the mouse is typically reserve to looking around with movement depending on whether you're pushing a key on a keyboard or not. Some games do offer a options to smooth movement but it always feels a poor cousin to the precision of a controller for moving a character around.

I remember the first time a PC diablo player friend of mine realized you could just control your character with the stick on Xbox One in Diablo 3. "You mean you don't have to keep clicking your mouse where you want to go?" LOL

I remember the first time a PC diablo player friend of mine realized you could just control your character with the stick on Xbox One in Diablo 3. "You mean you don't have to keep clicking your mouse where you want to go?" LOL

Yeesh, didn't your friend know he could just hold the mouse button down to move? He didn't have to keep clicking. :p

Personally, every single one. Particular games with a stealth element because with a controller you have absolutely precise control over how fast or slow a character us moving. Whilst you can do that with a mouse, the mouse is typically reserve to looking around with movement depending on whether you're pushing a key on a keyboard or not. Some games do offer a options to smooth movement but it always feels a poor cousin to the precision of a controller for moving a character around.

Yup, all personal preference. But I'll take more responsive and far superior and intuitive camera controls in a 3rd person over the shoulder game versus more nuanced movement. In games where sneaking is a major factor there's usually either a sneak/walk toggle or just crouching does the trick.

On an interesting side note. A Souls games speed runner who has at multiple times held the world record for speed running in all the From Software Souls games recently switched from controller to KBM. It took him a little bit to get used to it, but the switch alone has shaved off minutes on his speed runs allowing him to set new best times and now he can't imagine ever going back to using controllers in 3rd person games if KBM is an option (he loves not having to fight the analog stick when controlling the camera). And that's saying something since Souls games have a slightly odd KBM implementation due to how turning while moving works in the game. Since speed running requires not locking onto bosses, being able to easily control the camera makes boss fights less random due to imprecise analog stick control of the camera.

Regards,
SB

Yes, and stick shift is better control in a car, but most people won't bother.

Sure, but stick shift is generally more difficult to learn and use than automatic (especially in stop and go traffic). OTOH - using a mouse to control the camera is not only easier and less error prone, but also faster and more intuitive. :)

Regards,
SB

Sure, but stick shift is generally more difficult to learn and use than automatic (especially in stop and go traffic). OTOH - using a mouse to control the camera is not only easier and less error prone, but also faster and more intuitive. :)
Mouse movement controlling the cameras is definitely faster but the reason why many YouTubers and Twitch streamers use a controller outside of competitive events is because the cameras is all over the place and it makes for a very poor experience for anybody viewing. You can look left and right - like a 180 degree view - within a few frames. This works for the player who is instigating the movement and expecting the radical shift in view, but its shite for everybody else. The controller normalises movements.

YMMV on intuitiveness. I'm not sure why moving the mouse left to look left would be more (or less) intuitive than moving a controller stick left to look left.

Back