That RDNA 1.8 Consoles Rumor *spawn*

People are not stupid. If the XSX is cheaper but more powerful than the PS5 then many buyers will go for the XSX. And that's exactly what happened in 2005 in US when PS2 owners upgraded to the 360 in numbers.

There are lots of gamers that just want play the latest COD/NHL/FIFA/MADDEN etc. and do not care about typical Sony/MS exclusives besides Halo/Gears.

It's delusional to think that people don't care about the price or the performance when it comes to gaming. PS4 won because it was cheaper and more powerful than XO, Sony exclusive lineup was pretty bad when current generation launched so it didn't matter. Price mattered. Performance mattered.

If Lockhart is a thing, and comes with a price tag on roughly $249, then my prediction is that during first two years it will outsell both the the XSX and the PS5 combined (in the US).
This post is not entirely accurate tho, performance does matter but only to a certain degree. PS4 was quite substantially faster at around 40% and the resolution gate was especially prevalent at the time when temporal reprojection was non existent. This time around the power difference is much smaller at around 18%, not to mention a 2.2x SSD advantage to PS5, both machines should easily do 4k, raytracing, 60fps. With the smart usage of dynamic res and temporal reprojection, the difference would be further smaller especially when talking about 2000p vs 2160p. Price is somewhat more influencing tho, but hell even if PS5 is $50-$100 more expensive the SeriesX it would still be the much faster selling console, the brand alone and the exclusives are just that much more popular these days. Perhaps things would change after tonight's showing but for now I stand by my points.

If flops was the deciding factor there would only be pc master race left. Sony very well could have vrs as implemented by amd. Isn't the whole beef in microsoft implementing some sort of better vrs similar to how sampler feedback makes streaming potentially more efficient.

For sampler feedback one big question is that is collecting the misses and fetching pages after the fact only possible solution? What if the missed pages are not needed anymore once they have been fetched? What if some other heuristics or even machine learning could be implemented to similar effect without sampler feedback and avoid the misses to begin with? In this case running something like sampler feedback would help on training ml algorithm but the actual runtime network would not need sampler feedback.

edit. What I'm trying to say that proof will be in the pudding or in this case games. It's not wise to predict doom&gloom based on paper specs. My suspicion is that it will all come down to art and not to flops. i.e. who has most talented development teams and most money/time to allow those teams to achieve their vision.

Last edited:
This post is not entirely accurate tho, performance does matter but only to a certain degree. PS4 was quite substantially faster at around 40% and the resolution gate was especially prevalent at the time when temporal reprojection was non existent. This time around the power difference is much smaller at around 18%, not to mention a 2.2x SSD advantage to PS5, both machines should easily do 4k, raytracing, 60fps. With the smart usage of dynamic res and temporal reprojection, the difference would be further smaller especially when talking about 2000p vs 2160p. Price is somewhat more influencing tho, but hell even if PS5 is $50-$100 more expensive the SeriesX it would still be the much faster selling console, the brand alone and the exclusives are just that much more popular these days. Perhaps things would change after tonight's showing but for now I stand by my points.
The proof will be in the pudding as they say.

We have yet to see the differences between consoles in games. One console can still hold an obvious advantage over the other. Or most people wont be able to notice.

We will have to see when we get the boxes in our hands. But to the point of console transitions. Its not hard to go on psn or xbox live and tell your friends hey this is my name on the other platform lets all move to that with the new consoles because this game series we have been playing for years will run better on it.

I think long term multiplayer games have better lock in. Think sea of theives. THere are people who have played it since it came out and enjoy the regular content up dates. It will be a lot harder to convince someone to switch platforms with that , then someone who might have liked a single player game and could be waiting years for a sequel. I heard that ghost game on ps4 that just came out is great. but if you want to play the sequel on ps5 how many years do you have to wait ? 2 ? 3 ? In the mean time what if the other games you play are cod or destiny or some other big multiplatform game. If one console offers a higher resolution or better frame rates you might go for that. It becomes more interesting when you add in mid cycle refreshes. IF you know that single player sequel wont be out till around the mid gen refresh would you buy the more powerful console and then wait for the refresh and that single player game to grab it.

Lets also not forget to factor in the cost of tvs. Vizio has a new line up of tvs that start at $230 and have hdr at 40 inches. Its going to be cheaper to get a 4k tv than it will be the console at launch. even slight frame rate advantages could push people over the edge as freesync is coming to more and more tvs also

This time around the power difference is much smaller at around 18%, not to mention a 2.2x SSD advantage to PS5.

Really? 20 % more GPUflops plus Variable Rate Shading easily = 50-60% difference in real term. And the RDNA2 Ray-tracing method use the CUs. More CU = more RT power, Xbox has 36 + 16, PS only 28 + 8 = 100% advantage. Theoretically, maybe more.

People are not stupid. If the XSX is cheaper but more powerful than the PS5 then many buyers will go for the XSX. And that's exactly what happened in 2005 in US when PS2 owners upgraded to the 360 in numbers.

There are lots of gamers that just want play the latest COD/NHL/FIFA/MADDEN etc. and do not care about typical Sony/MS exclusives besides Halo/Gears.

It's delusional to think that people don't care about the price or the performance when it comes to gaming. PS4 won because it was cheaper and more powerful than XO, Sony exclusive lineup was pretty bad when current generation launched so it didn't matter. Price mattered. Performance mattered.

If Lockhart is a thing, and comes with a price tag on roughly $249, then my prediction is that during first two years it will outsell both the the XSX and the PS5 combined (in the US).

Not just that the post doesn’t even consider one was out before the other and was significantly cheaper (core/arcade) and had a tonne of great exclusives vs a floundering expensive opponent.

Also launch line up is not the be all, you know with each company what you will get roughly (exclusives wise) you don’t buy based on the launch line up.

That's going to be bad bad for Sony...
but MS may play hard on this

Really? 20 % more GPUflops plus Variable Rate Shading easily = 50-60% difference in real term. And the RDNA2 Ray-tracing method use the CUs. More CU = more RT power, Xbox has 36 + 16, PS only 28 + 8 = 100% advantage. Theoretically, maybe more.

50-60% difference... ?
That's a lot
Do someone else has the same opinion ?

20 % more GPUflops plus Variable Rate Shading easily = 50-60% difference in real term.

No. VRS won't ever be that much of a multiplicative impact the first couple years. If it's ever to increase beyond an additional boost range of 10-20% (forget exact increase from the Gears Tactics Articles), it will require more research and development into new algorithms and procedures, where VRS would be applied outside just the final shading pass.

Maybe on Lockhart VRS can have a bigger impact. If this console is going to be sold on huge numbers developers will try to use each trick to let it run as better as possible whatever runs on Ps5 & XSX.

So the XBSX will be 160%+ faster than PS5 in ray traced games ?? Sounds like Sony is doomed and should get out now before they embarrass themselves.
Silly Sony :nope:

A 12TF+ TF gpu, faster clocked CPU, much more bandwith to the GDDR ram. Aside from that SSD tech will be close, MS does efficiency sony goes for raw speed.

No. VRS won't ever be that much of a multiplicative impact the first couple years. If it's ever to increase beyond an additional boost range of 10-20% (forget exact increase from the Gears Tactics Articles), it will require more research and development into new algorithms and procedures, where VRS would be applied outside just the final shading pass.

Gears Tactics was only tier 1 - tier 2 in RDNA2/DX12U should be a lot better.

Plus, QPlayer was stacking the TFLOPs advantage with VRS. Even if it’s only 20%, those stack to more than 40% combined. I think it could be close to 50% at the end of the day.

umm. VRS 2.0 is max 15% boost lol.

Last edited:
there should be a "lol" button next to the like button, would be useful !

I realize it’s an over simplification, but in principal a performance advantage would stack with an efficiency improvement.

1.18 (raw performance advantage) x 1.2 (reasonable estimate for VRS efficiency improvement) = 1.42

Back