Whoa! You guys should try using managed DirectX in C#

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
You should see how quick it is to setup. Performance is really nice as well. :)

How many of you guys are coding in managed DirectX using a .NET language? (C++, C#, VB.NET)

I can setup an entire scenario in like 20 minutes. I'm not joking, it's much quicker using managed DX than unmanaged GL.

If anyone here is using managed DX, can I see your work please?

I played around with it once. Yes, the API is cleaner and more OO than the C++ APIs, but the documentation seems bad, and I've had lots of function calls like Lock() silently fail when they worked in an identical C++ app.

Hey K.I.L.E.R. do you have any good reference links you'd like to share? I just got my student edition of Visual Studio.Net the other day and I'd definitly like to mess around with this stuff a little. Of course I know I could just google it myself, but I thought I'd ask just incase you had any really good references.

You may like to have a look at Jason Olson's ongoing "Writing A 2D Game In C# With Managed DirectX" (here)... It's not (yet?) very complete, but it looks like a good way to start.

Edit: There's also this but I'm not sure there's lots of code in there...

Check out the open source engine Axiom...

The Axiom Engine Project is a fully object oriented game engine development effort using C# and the Microsoft.Net platform to create an easy to use, flexible, extendable, and powerful engine that allows for rapid development of games for various genres. By using the .Net framework as the target platform, developers can focus more on core functionality and logic, rather than dealing with the complexities of languages like C++.
The core of Axiom is a port of the very popular OGRE graphics engine, which was chosen based on its clean object-oriented design, powerful features, and flexibilty.

Back