That Cross-Generation Games Thread [2020] *spawn*

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
1:08:45 in you will get your answer from Jason Ronald aka MR Baird Guy, although i guess there's more than one single view out there.

Also let's not pretend that there is only one business case that makes sense,
If that was the case Sony would be following suit with twice the figures you give for users. Doesn't that make their case stronger going by your reasoning.

Therefore there are good and bad reasons for both approaches, and it's not as black and white as it may seem. We'll see in 2-3 years which was the best/successful way forward.

Let's just hope they do better than the x360 to xo where they was convinved people in their ecosystem would not jump ship, every year they kept talking about telemetry and the upgrade is about to happen.

When did I said there was only one business case that makes sense ? I specifically said it was nuanced because it is.

The xbox one had its own set of problems. It was more expensive , did not perform as well as the competition and at launch did not have bc.

I think if day one you could take your xbox 360 games and play them on the xbox one things would have gone a bit differently. The pricing would still be an issue however . This time MS has a more powerful system , BC with xbox /xbox 360/ xbox one and while the jury is still out on pricing , it could be the same price or even less. They also have xcloud and the new upgrade program for software

So its not the same as last generations transition

So its not the same as last generations transition
Also when you say would you be happy if you bought an xbox last year or this, would you be happy with no games coming out for it.
Do you really think that without xbox studio games there's no games?
Also I don't remember reading anyone on here saying xbox shouldn't release any more games on XO.

So it's things like that, that makes your presentation of your point sound very extreme to me.

I never said x360 to XO was totally the same, I'm highlighting that at some point their going to want people to remain/upgrade when they are looking at a next gen machine, and staying in the same ecosystem isn't a given regardless of what their telemetry Is telling them, or to be more accurate how they are interpreting it.
Early launch exclusives don't sell consoles. Its the other way around. Most early buyers are buying on potential and these early launch titles help wet their appetite until big budget true next gen titles arrive.

Neither Sony nor MS want to pour 50-100 million into the development and marketing budget for these early titles. The ROI is lacking because the userbase is so small. And these type of titles tend to sell because of a dearth of competition.
Where do they get this view of the potential from? That's part of the point.

Being the biggest seller isn't necessarily the point of all games. Same for games that they put into gamepass, hope you're not expecting them all to be huge blockbusters.

From a smorgasbord of games in development. Games like the division and watchdog that were marketed at e3 presented a level of visuals that launch games could hardly demonstrate.

Pre-launch marketing of next gen consoles is hardly limited to launch titles.

Also there is a next gen game coming to a platform which seems to just be DLC of a previous game with perhaps better load times or lack of load times and a higher resolution. It seems a lot of people are hyped up about that game. Since its artificially only being released on the new platform is that a next gen game or just a cross gen game ?
Spider-man:MM started off as a ps4 game?

Spider-man:MM started off as a ps4 game?

This is news to me but perhaps we should wait for the game before judging. I think it's quite probable that Miles Morales was always intended for PS5 and it was the work done on enhancing the PS4 engine for PS5 that resulted in demo of Spider-Man running on PS5 dev hardware that was shown to Wired in early 2019. The one where they showed Spider-Man moving at impossible speeds for PS4 and 8.1 second loads becoming 0.8 second loads.

We know from the detailed GDC technology break of Insomniac's Spider-Man in 2018 that the PS4's 20mb/sec disk reads was a particular barrier and while they got good results they had to execute some design gymnastics to make it happen. Removing these issues will be a massive time saver when developing nextgen-only (i.e SSD-based) games.

From a smorgasbord of games in development. Games like the division and watchdog that were marketed at e3 presented a level of visuals that launch games could hardly demonstrate.

Pre-launch marketing of next gen consoles is hardly limited to launch titles.
The main problem with that is they are multi-platform.
For a 1P they can get out games that may not always be huge successes but definitely get eyes on the platform.
Sony have made some very graphically impressive games, which can go head to head with 3P.
In MS case they had couple decent early games that people felt would have done well with sequels. Ryse, sunset.

Me personally, don't think that either should just make next gen exclusives, but I can definitely see the positives in having a couple.

This crossover is going to be interesting for 1P and 3P because it's a lot easier to make and support a cross gen game.
Flip side of that is, easier to start on next gen exclusives, where before a lot of early work was just getting to know the system, api's, porting engines across etc

It seems theyt begin to understand crossgen is a problem.

For me there whole marketing thing about the cross gen for the next two years is a deflection because they have nothing ready.
After watching there conference thing yesterday it just cements that opinion for me. I couldn't believe that Forza wasn't ready to show gameplay and apparently the rare game didn't show gameplay because they still not sure about what gameplay they going to have.

I mean they only announced the location where Hellblade 2 takes place, that probably means it's 2-3 years away from being done.

It seems theyt begin to understand crossgen is a problem...
These may have been mistakes to begin with. They also had the Medium as XBO supported as well. And that was always a XSX exclusive.

Moving these onto the store, some people mess up. Anytime at the end of any video you see only 'XBOX' and no platforms mentioned. It probably means it's 3-4 years out still.

Last edited:
Rare's own web page still shows Xbox One & Windows 10, but it hasn't been updated since last December either. Their Games Showcase news page(updated yesterday) does say go to the Xbox.com site for the official game page.

Tommy McClain

Back