Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

if past history is anything to go by expect to hear Chris adding ray tracing to everything and thats why.

I look forward to this fall to see how the new cards perform on it

But that would be something different than what was in the linked video.

But that would be something different than what was in the linked video.
it would be , however directly related to the question even next gen graphics cards will have issues with this depend on your resolution. A 2080ti will struggle to hit 4k at reasonable framerates.

You can check out the current telemetry data here.

This is the average performance level and city areas are hitting the performance much harder.

well if anyone has some ships and want to try playing together let me know. Its been a year since I last tried this

When 3.10 is stable enough we should test it if our time zones are similar. I forgot your username in Spectrum. You'd have to give it to me again.

Presumably the 1% of player with > 60fps just spend their time staring at a wall. I'm sure the backer effect means they're having an amazing, immersive, time. :smile:

On a serious note you are clearly GPU limited at 4K even with a Geforce GTX 2080 Ti. The average is pretty much the same whether you have a 4770K or 9900K.

They also recommend you have an Intel Optane 900p ssd.

Parts of it looked good but it doesnt look realistic at all, its like they are trying to brute force everything eg 8k textures with 4k resolution

How to make it better?

drop resolution to eg 720p and implement a better lighting model

Parts of it looked good but it doesnt look realistic at all, its like they are trying to brute force everything eg 8k textures with 4k resolution

How to make it better?

The lighting and especially the atmospheric scattering is well done and on the level of other very good games with dynamic day and night and weather changes. Because of the gigantic far sight and flying there are additional difficulties with shadows. That's where they still have to do the most. Before raytracing CI first needs to finish their Vulkan renderer and at the moment this is the topic where most of their graphic programmers are working on. The SSAO in the game is the best I know.

How to make it better?

From what I have seen, they are very conscious of texture resolution and waste.
A lot of work has gone to art pipeline so they wouldn't have to use gigantic textures everywhere and possibly show normal map compression artifacts etc.

They are been constantly been improving lighting and lighting model.

On a serious note you are clearly GPU limited at 4K even with a Geforce GTX 2080 Ti. The average is pretty much the same whether you have a 4770K or 9900K.

They also recommend you have an Intel Optane 900p ssd.

They had a marketing deal with intel. You got an exclusive ship if you bought the drive

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/promotions/intel-optane

The job i was at during that time got those drives in for a server to test. So i ended up getting a free ship. If you'd like to try it let me know

Back