The Epic Games store for PC and Mac [2018-12]

https://www.pcgamer.com/steam-has-become-exhausting/

"Here’s what I want Steam to be: a place where I can easily and conveniently find games I wish to buy, buy them, and access them. I do not believe Valve and I’s outlook on this aligns.

Valve seem to have some small interest in Steam performing these functions, but a much greater excitement for layering endless experimental systems on top of each other. The act of buying and playing games must itself be gamified from every possible angle.

Over the years, it’s introduced trading cards, badges, and a marketplace for in-game items. It’s given us countless different kinds of fake money, earned by spending real money, usually to be spent on stickers, emotes, profile backgrounds, and other gew-gaws I couldn’t even be confident in the function of.

...And as these experiments rumble on and mutate into ever less necessary forms, Valve neglects the core experience. The store is less usable now than it’s ever been, utterly clogged with nonsense and shovelware with incredibly poor moderation. Efforts to tailor the experience algorithmically have created more problems than they’ve solved, making it increasingly difficult to get to the page you actually want, rather than the one Steam thinks you’d like."

Epic Games Store has officially integrated into GOG Galaxy 2.0
The idea behind GOG Galaxy 2.0 is simple. Smash down the walls between PC game store and create a launcher which can integrate all PC gaming storefronts into one centralized location. Today, GOG has announced that it has teamed up with Epic Games to deliver "official integration" for the Epic Games Store. Through this partnership, GOG and Epic Games are allowing GOG Galaxy to work more seamlessly and reliably with Epic Games Store titles, which is great news for those who want one launcher to rule them all.
Simply put, GOG Galaxy Epic Games Store integration connects the two platforms together and allows you to launch Epic Games Store games directly from the GOG Galaxy. Here’s how you do it:

Click the ‘Settings’ gear in GOG Galaxy.
Head over to ‘Add Games & Friends’.
Select: ‘Connect Platforms’.
Press the ‘Connect’ button next to Epic Games Store, and then enter your EGS login credentials.
Once you’re done, your GOG Galaxy Epic Games Store integration should be complete!

Tim always reminds me of this

anBn

Epic store inside the windows store is the most anti climatic announcement ever

Just one data point, no idea what the marketing was for this (though Thailand was obviously all in), but still interesting. Let’s Build a Zoo sold 32k units on launch week on Steam and Epic. 1% of sales were on Epic.

Just one data point, no idea what the marketing was for this (though Thailand was obviously all in), but still interesting. Let’s Build a Zoo sold 32k units on launch week on Steam and Epic. 1% of sales were on Epic.
I guess those millions of Fortnite kiddies aren't into little zoo building games lol

It's fairly representative from what I've heard. Even titles that release to limited timed exclusivity will generally sell more titles on Steam in the first month than the entirety of their time on EGS.

What I'm starting to see some developers do is use EGS for Early Access (basically BETA release) of their incomplete game as it serves a few purposes.
  • It reduces the number of people that play the game making early access more managable without the same flood of players
  • It prevents early access code from influcing user ratings of games since EGS doesn't allow users to rate the games.
    • Thus bad experiences with a given release of the game can't be reported by users to other users to warn them of a bad update that might not be representative of the final game.
    • And hopefully, when they finally release the game on Steam where users can leave reviews and ratings of them, the game will be in a more stable state.
  • The lower sales numbers during early access will be somewhat compensated for by EGS taking a smaller share of each sale.
The major drawback to using EGS is that there's no easy way for users to immediately leave the developer feedback as there's no store based forums directly linked to the game in the storefront for users to easily use. As well there's no easy way for the developer to notify users in the storefront itself of updates to the games or what those updates are changing/fixing or providing users news of what is being worked on for upcoming updates.

Of course, not having a forum also makes it more difficult for users to write about bad versions or updates to the game and thus help new buyers to either avoid bad updates or easily find workarounds if an update breaks the game. So it's not all good WRT removing the ability of consumers to easily help other consumers out.

But in general it seems like a decent way to release your Early Access game without having the wonkyness of constantly updated BETA builds influencing sales of your game or it leading to bad initial reviews of your game on Steam while also limiting how many players buy your Early Access game.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
What I'm starting to see some developers do is use EGS for Early Access (basically BETA release) of their incomplete game as it serves a few purposes.
Yeah Darkest Dungeon 2 is currently Early Access on EGS only. And that's fine with me. I have no inclination to play it until it's complete, when it will be released on Steam.

Back