Ghost of Tsushima [PS4], Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut [PS4, PS5]

Actually, I'll continue enjoying GoT too. Never said the game wasn't good. Just won't pretend its the holy grail of graphics and technology. And won't diss other games/devs because its the cool thing to do (not talking about you in particular, just a trend I see happening all the time).

This, well said.

Ubisoft could have published this game and called it Assassin’s Creed: Japan and it would fit right in. There’s nothing revolutionary gameplay wise in it, you go clearing icons in your map, collecting resources, leveling up and upgrading your character, doing banal side quests on the way. And I’m not saying that as a bad thing, it’s good fun and I like the last two Assassins creed games, Origins more so than Odyssey. Whether it looks better is debatable.

As for nothing in the market close to TLOU2, I disagree. I prefer RDR2’s visuals way more.
Ubisoft has had how many AC games to develop a good/compelling battle system?.And still is a no. So no, it couldnt be AC Japan.

This looks way better visually than any ac imo. Combat system is more in depth and it works a lot easier without silly animus and assasins templar nonsense that lost relevance about a decade ago.

GOT feels to me like an AC game if it wasnt an legacy ongoing brand ubisoft just farted out every other year from their factory with slight differences.

If you are still into AC thats fine but i have huge issues with ubisofts way of doing things in more ways than one

Owned both games at one point and couldn't stomach more than 5 hours of each, it's a shame, I used to love AC franchise. Not saying both of those two are ugly by any means, but just nothing special with a lack of a distinct, appealing visual style or technique if you will.
Ghost not only does foliage, particle very well, the volumetric lighting, SS shadow, use of color, model details are all very impressive. Just the rendering and interaction of its foliage alone makes it stand out so much more than any recent AC game.

I'd like to add even more so the last two AC games were severely lacking in sidequest structure.
In the end it turned into clearing the same camp built in a different area like 50 times.
In Odyssey they even made it possible for you to clear the same camp over and over again by the camp switching sides. Ugh.

That's coming from somebody that has played
AC1(first of it's kind so ok)
AC2 trilogy (well done)
AC3 (meh)
Black flag (probably best?)
Unity (soso)
Origin (new direction is acceptable I suppose)
Odyssey (extensive sidequests grinded out my patience)

in Ghosts there is probably around 15 run of the mill camps and then you had the huge ones that require different objectives.

Assassins Creed is a well done game but it really lacks a "signature art style" that GoT nailed.
Not to mention AC games were horrible on the stability department.

Last edited:
The grass and pebbles shadows are just not as strong because they don't have as many of those actually modeled with geometry.
RDR2 doesnt have proper shadows with the grass, it just looks like they use simple ambient occlusion (some of the bushes etc though have proper shadows) sure it looks very good due to the quality of the artists
download.png

I assume its cause RDR2 doesnt really do individual blades of grass like Ghost of Tsushima or what I do below so its much harder for them to get it looking right

Heres something I done about 20 years ago with proper shadows on the grass (on hardware less that 1 Gflop now hardware is measured in the Tflops! )
A43.jpg

Better shot to see its just flat polygons with grass textures on it with incorrect shadows in RDR2
https://guides4gamers.com/sites/12/screenshots/2019/09/1920/the-gilded-cage-2.jpg

It's astonishing how that almost anywhere you go, just walking along looks absolutely dramatic. It feels like there is always an AI lightning director controlling the wind and weather Io make it look like a classic Japanese movie all of the time.

Been checking this out. Where there are things about it that bother me, it is now the 3rd and probably last PS4 exclusive that I wish I could play but can't. Bloodborne and Persona 5 are the other two. Of course, being an open world game, it's also likely that I would never finish it, but like the Witcher Series, the game is amazing enough that I wouldn't mind owning it and playing it even if I didn't finish it.

Kudos to Sucker Punch for an amazing game with amazing visuals.

Regards,
SB

Been checking this out. Where there are things about it that bother me, it is now the 3rd and probably last PS4 exclusive that I wish I could play but can't. Bloodborne and Persona 5 are the other two. Of course, being an open world game, it's also likely that I would never finish it, but like the Witcher Series, the game is amazing enough that I wouldn't mind owning it and playing it even if I didn't finish it.

Ghost of Tsushima's open world is definitely less dense and distracting than The Witcher 3 and this is a good thing. I also found it very difficult to progress the core story in W3 because of all the distractions which at times felt Red Dead Redemption-level absurd where somebody would try to scam/rob every 30 seconds of riding.

The game looks spectacular and lets you ride around and enjoy it. Sometimes, less is more. :yep2:

It's astonishing how that almost anywhere you go, just walking along looks absolutely dramatic. It feels like there is always an AI lightning director controlling the wind and weather Io make it look like a classic Japanese movie all of the time.
So good ?
Wow

Its really nice to see GOT gaining some mainstream and consumer recognition for its graphics, both artistically and technically. Keep in mind that this is an open world game and not linear like Resident Evil remake series or TLOU series when taking into account texture and animation budget. Some say its best ever this gen...

(sick screen shot here)
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...e-most-beautiful-game-ever-made/#3f075e5470e4

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/ghost-of-tsushima-review

https://games.avclub.com/ghost-of-tsushima-is-one-of-the-most-beautiful-games-ev-1844380552

Last edited:
I'm getting a Heavenly Sword vibe from some of the fights I've been having. Shame that'll never see re-make wand.

Back