nVnews

Like I said, people get painted with the same brush whether they are fanatical or not, just as you have me Kelrath.

It appears to me that when nVidia started to go off the rails and were having benchmarks published that were not on a level playing field it was right for some people to point this out in a vocal manner. Unfortunately they continued to vocalise long after nvidiots also wanted nvidia to level the playing field again. Squealer the pig in Animal Farm springs to mind, it went from being a fair point to being force fed.

Continuously.

So that is my explanation for what happened with John and Dave, in my opinion, I am not saying it is right but that is my view why it happened.

dizietsma said:
It appears to me that when nVidia started to go off the rails and were having benchmarks published that were not on a level playing field it was right for some people to point this out in a vocal manner. Unfortunately they continued to vocalise long after nvidiots also wanted nvidia to level the playing field again. Squealer the pig in Animal Farm springs to mind, it went from being a fair point to being force fed.

Continuously.
Fair point, but nVidia never changed their tactics or cheating....should we have just sat idly by and said nothing and assumed it was now part of the new status quo?

I don't accept that line of reasoning, I just can't. :(

Anybody else noticing these disturbing trends?

1 ) If nvidia cheats in a benchmark dont use it.

2 ) If your forum mod doesnt like people pointing out the fact that nvidia cheats Ban them.

As far as i see it nvidia are winning hands down - everybody in the industry must know by now they cheat - yet nobody(apart from an half arsed attempt by FM),seems to care anymore.
Its becoming a jaded ,sad fact that people will put up with anything a fraudulent company does and still stand by them.Im losing faith and people appear to be turning into amoebas with no independant thought processes.

dizietsma said:
So we had people like Hellbinder, Joe De Furious, Digitalwanderer and Doomtrooper

First, it's Joe DeFuria

Second....when's the last time I did any considerable posting at NVNews...and in what manner did I post?

Joe DeFuria said:
dizietsma said:
So we had people like Hellbinder, Joe De Furious, Digitalwanderer and Doomtrooper

First, it's Joe DeFuria
I kind of like Joe DeFurious, it has a nice evil ring to it like your an evil genius plotting to take over the world or something.

You wouldn't happen to be a doctor, would you Joe? Dr. DeFurious would ROCK! 8) (Sorry, silly mood...I'll stop.)

digitalwanderer said:
Dr. DeFurious would ROCK! 8)

Mwuhaahaaa!

evilpinky.jpg

One...Billion Cheats!

I haven't posted over @ NV in ages (not even sure if my accounts still active)... I expect to see some bias from a sites forum that is dedicated to one specific chipset. If you go over to Rage I'm sure its as bad if not worse (haven't been there in a spell either). I'm pretty much a lurker here too, but I like this forum quite a bit more! :LOL:
I felt pretty bad for John after reading that thread as he didn't say anything (IMO) that was inflammatory, and yet he got railed by a couple of posters over there (there were 2 in particular that had their heads wedged up their cracks). :? Well anyways, I don't think it was very smooth the way that thread went down. It could have been a good thread too. o_O

Joe DeFuria said:
digitalwanderer said:
Dr. DeFurious would ROCK! 8)

Mwuhaahaaa!

One...Billion Cheats!

lol...

This stuff sometimes seems to get blown out of proportion. Seems now though the tables have been turned on NVnews. Rage3D used to be washed out with ATi driver bashers. Now ever since the R300 was released NVnews has really got a dose of what Rage3D went through. I think as long as there are two major graphics companies for enthusiast this sort of trend will continue. There was a point in the past when financially speaking ATi though was on the verge of failing with 10+ consecutive quarters of negative earnings. I had used a number of ATi cards not extensively but never had any difficulties with them. I did however buy a geforce 256 (DDR)when it was first released and had massive driver problems.(games crashing etc.) I thought that nvidias driver reputation was overrated to a degree. These days I am running a Radeon 8500LE and I am quite happy with it for now. Anyhow things are considerably more balanced then they used to be even considering ATi still holds the high end.(only marginally though)

These days I do considerably less posting and more reading then I used to do. I think that the nature of fan sites will always bring someone with a vendetta. In short I don't see a reasonable solution to the dilemma at hand outside a simple dose of maturity on behalf of all parties. But that is unreasonable because: one... we are mostly all males. :devilish: two... the high end graphics card market is for gamers. :devilish: three.. expensive high end video and benchmarking lends too pissing contests on who has the fastest PC.

At any rate that is my simplified take on all this ongoing drama. Heh, sometimes it is even fun to discuss the drama itself. ;) I have mostly withdrawn from that and stick to reading posts like Dave Baumann, MuFu, Democoder… et al. (I started to list the names of people that post here and then realized that there are so many posters here that I read comments from that I might spend an exceedingly long time trying to list them.) I read certain fanboi posts as well, sometimes they have good info in spite of their disparaging tone.

Reasons I no longer post at nV News are IMO rather simple:
A) The quality of the forum has, IMO, gotten slightly down. But then, so has it here ;) Not to the same extent though. Here, it's just a few idiots which I've got idea why they weren't banned; there, it's an increasing bias for many people, little technical knowledge AND annoying new fanboys.
B) Increasing NV PR influence. Yes, I know you don't have a choice, so I can't complain about it. But if I feel it's not worth my time anymore...

As I said, I don't complain. I just don't want to use my time to go there anymore; other people, more interested in NVIDIA products for example, still got serious reasons to visit it though I'm sure.
Seriously, if you know you'd just bash them by going there, do as I do to resist the temptation: change your password to rubbish. Then change your e-mail. No way to get your account back, and both you and nV News will feel better as a result :)

Uttar

MikeC said:
I have the receipts for mailing Volt a Prolink 5900 I purchased for him when he was sent back to Poland from the U.S. last spring. I also sent him $50. bucks to help pay customs tax. Volt receipt of the card was very well documented because it had the flickering problem. Volt whined and cried in my forums about the card until the flickering fix came out. He never gave me a review of this card let alone a comparision review. From his forum posts at the time he did not have an ATI card. This is so easily documented I the don't know why you would want to put yourself in this position of publicly exposing yourself and others.

I feel an urge to reply, though it will probably get me no where.

Mike, lack of proper communication with a person running any type of business can greatly contribute to serious issues and inequalities (That sort of thing happened between you and me). Yes I do realize you work everyday, so does everyone else.

You called me a forum nazi because how I did my job -- you stood above me like I was your only forum moderator. -- while you had other 4-5 to bitch at. Whatever I did, I got your disapproval. I could only assume StealthHawk was your next victim.

I wish I still had access to my private messages, there you would see you didn't give me a reason for letting me go -- only a foggy one. Do you even realize I had to get such information out from your staff member? Yet you tell me I'm "damaging your professionalism". There was also talk about me breaking NDA -- which one and HOW is beyond me.

About the card you sent me. The infamous flickering issue with high-end NV35's. We both agreed to delay the review. I sure told you why -- I didn't want NVIDIA and Prolink to look bad -- and you agreed. Smells like fanboism on my part doesn't it. I actually gave them time to fix any problems before my review was published. I'd love to quote NVIDIA rep. on that one. Over one month of struggle (along with tons of e-mails) to get the darn fix and I get an e-mail with an accusing tone of voice saying it's on my end. I sure contributed to helping them solve the problem. You can even call it crying and whining Mike, what do I care? So NV comes up with a "magical" solution -- reduce the fan speed on the GPU, or even worse increase the voltage. While I'm half way through the review, there is a talk about new 5x.xx drivers which should hit NVs site in a week or two. I gave you a proposition, you never gave me a definite answer. I wanted to wait for the 52.16 drivers and it ended with YOU agreeing not to do the review. Yes I wanted to exchange the 5900 for a Radeon and do a review of that one instead. Again, the lack of communication from you. While I'm at it, why don't you tell us about your "great" relationship with Chris Evenden and those review samples you were getting? Or how about your Radeon 9800 Pro review you were polishing?

I'm sure I forgot some of my other adventures, but I'm limited in time -- and really, not everything can be discussed publicly -- and better yet, the horse is dead.

digitalwanderer said:
dizietsma said:

Continuously.
Fair point, but nVidia never changed their tactics or cheating....should we have just sat idly by and said nothing and assumed it was now part of the new status quo?

I don't accept that line of reasoning, I just can't. :(

You did sit idly by at other web sites you could have spread the gospel to.

For instance, you and other people here decided to use nvnews to investigate Anandtech and nvidia at the same time

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18863

Why was nvnews used for this, surely you could have had more converts at at Anandtech if you felt so strongly about it, I'm sure they have more readers, but no, it seems it was too much fun at nvnews to be bothered

see

http://forums.anandtech.com/message...adid=1152441&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=arc&STARTPAGE=3

"(Heh, it WAS worth wading thru that whole thread Evan...I should come by here more often! "

24 posts in total. Now that is sitting idly by, far too much fun rushing over to nvnews the minute the latest nvidia twist and turn occurred.

dizietsma... you didn't link to my posts in the same topic lol... I had a long on-going conversation with evan in that thread and I am the dumber for it :)

I brought this up before and I will bring it up again...

there are certain reasons why I personally do not visit a forum... it may be that I don't like the people who run the site or the way the site is run or even the colors of the forums.. whatever the reason may be..

thats pretty much what the case is over here... which is understandable... but painting the community @ nvnews with the same broadstroke is less than endearing... there has been little change to the community overall... there are just as many pro-ati/nvidia people as there were before...

some of the better known members have decided not to post there anymore but the tone of the forums has not changed... there was a time when every other post was in a "nvidia sux0r's" thread and after about 6-7 months of this the consensus was lets go easy on beating the dead horse's dust (all that remains after you beat the dead horse again and again and... well you get the picture) ... other than that there has not really been any heavy-handedness in the forums wrt favoring one IHV or another...

it is unfortunate some people get treated badly by fanboi's but for the most part the fanboi's comments do not contribute to an argument much... I have seen some people (e.g. jr) trying to educate some of the lads about the basic working of marchitecture and its like a brick wall like we told him it would be... happens on all forums...

I would appreciate if instead of painting the entire community of nvnews a certain shade of fanboy... you actually get to know the personalities a tad...

Sazar said:
dizietsma... you didn't link to my posts in the same topic lol... I had a long on-going conversation with evan in that thread and I am the dumber for it :)

True, but why did the whole of the Ati beyond3d club turn up like a pack of vultures ( once again ) at nvnews ?

What I am saying is that saying that nvnews is going downhill whilst not admitting to part of the symptom ( or worse, slightly gloating in the background ) is pretty poor.

They are prepared to turn up for the kill but not it seems to add some depth and knowledge ( which they have in abundance ).

No they'd rather sit around shaking their heads saying " pityful pityful "

I'm happy to accept that, but I am not happy for them to stick to their delusion that nvnews is where it is today and they had nothing to do with it.

Oh I'll get off my damned soapbox now, I bet you are all glad to hear !

Any forums around here about drinking beer and sobbing about the old times ( aka pre FX series ) ? :)

Sazar said:
I brought this up before and I will bring it up again...

there are certain reasons why I personally do not visit a forum... it may be that I don't like the people who run the site or the way the site is run or even the colors of the forums.. whatever the reason may be..

thats pretty much what the case is over here... which is understandable... but painting the community @ nvnews with the same broadstroke is less than endearing... there has been little change to the community overall... there are just as many pro-ati/nvidia people as there were before...

some of the better known members have decided not to post there anymore but the tone of the forums has not changed... there was a time when every other post was in a "nvidia sux0r's" thread and after about 6-7 months of this the consensus was lets go easy on beating the dead horse's dust (all that remains after you beat the dead horse again and again and... well you get the picture) ... other than that there has not really been any heavy-handedness in the forums wrt favoring one IHV or another...

it is unfortunate some people get treated badly by fanboi's but for the most part the fanboi's comments do not contribute to an argument much... I have seen some people (e.g. jr) trying to educate some of the lads about the basic working of marchitecture and its like a brick wall like we told him it would be... happens on all forums...

I would appreciate if instead of painting the entire community of nvnews a certain shade of <bleep>... you actually get to know the personalities a tad...

That's what I've ben trying to say, but less well.

Thanks Sazar.

Regards

Andy

dizietsma said:
Sazar said:

True, but why did the whole of the Ati beyond3d club turn up like a pack of vultures ( once again ) at nvnews ?

What I am saying is that saying that nvnews is going downhill whilst not admitting to part of the symptom ( or worse, slightly gloating in the background ) is pretty poor.

They are prepared to turn up for the kill but not it seems to add some depth and knowledge ( which they have in abundance ).

No they'd rather sit around shaking their heads saying " pityful pityful "

I'm happy to accept that, but I am not happy for them to stick to their delusion that nvnews is where it is today and they had nothing to do with it.

Oh I'll get off my damned soapbox now, I bet you are all glad to hear !

Any forums around here about drinking beer and sobbing about the old times ( aka pre FX series ) ? :)

you will notice quite a few people would turn up to have a discussion about whatever was the big thing @ the time....

it was common... not a one off occurence... certain [H] reviews elicited the same response and turnout... certain reviews by other sites were also similarly dissected and discussed...

digitalwanderer said:
Joe DeFuria said:
dizietsma said:

First, it's Joe DeFuria
I kind of like Joe DeFurious, it has a nice evil ring to it like your an evil genius plotting to take over the world or something.

You wouldn't happen to be a doctor, would you Joe? Dr. DeFurious would ROCK! 8) (Sorry, silly mood...I'll stop.)

[Completely OT!]
Gah... can't... resist... just one tiny little link and I'll crawl back under my rock... :p
[/OT]

Cheers, Joey.

Back