Ghost of Tsushima [PS4], Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut [PS4, PS5]

I'm not usually one for taking a lot of screen captures but I've grabbed a bunch with Ghosts, they'll make great wallpapers on the my desktop.

This is also the first game I've played since getting a HDR TV. So good!

So far, this does not feel like a AAA Sony first party game in the technical department. Graphics are artistically nice, and it has some nice effects like the grass, clouds and the bucketload of particles are pretty cool and impressive. But not so good the animations stand out to me. Lip syncing is not very good, faces are too stiff. Floating bodies also look like from a 2003 game. I can't see how some people compare this to other open world games, much less to high end PC games.

Thankfully, gameplay is king and I'm enjoying it much more than TLOU2. If this is Sony's swansong for the PS4, I think I'll be satisfied (gotta finish it to say that for sure). Love the combat, don't really care for the stealth aspect. Wish they patch the camera to be better, it has got me killed a few times, stuck in objects or obscured by stuff in front of the screen.

Well to be fair Tlou2’s animation and visuals are so far and ahead beyond anything else on the market it’s one of a kind really. Ghost also does things graphically that no high end pc games have ever achieved, both of them certainly look and play far better than those yearly Ubisoft, EA open world junks we see and gotten so tired of.

Well to be fair Tlou2’s animation and visuals are so far and ahead beyond anything else on the market it’s one of a kind really. Ghost also does things graphically that no high end pc games have ever achieved, both of them certainly look and play far better than those yearly Ubisoft, EA open world junks we see and gotten so tired of.

Ubisoft could have published this game and called it Assassin’s Creed: Japan and it would fit right in. There’s nothing revolutionary gameplay wise in it, you go clearing icons in your map, collecting resources, leveling up and upgrading your character, doing banal side quests on the way. And I’m not saying that as a bad thing, it’s good fun and I like the last two Assassins creed games, Origins more so than Odyssey. Whether it looks better is debatable.

As for nothing in the market close to TLOU2, I disagree. I prefer RDR2’s visuals way more.

It's a lot more refined and visually appealing than Ubi junks, also more technically impressive from a graphics perspective. The game has a signature visual identity of its own, something very hard to come by from AC game these days.

It's a lot more refined and visually appealing than Ubi junks, also more technically impressive from a graphics perspective. The game has a signature visual identity of its own, something very hard to come by from AC game these days.
I again disagree. I have my doubts that you have even played the games you always dismiss. "More refined and visually appealing" is subjective, both Origins and Odyssey are beautiful games. Apart from the foliage and particles, I don't see anything special with Ghosts of Tsushima's graphics.

I again disagree. I have my doubts that you have even played the games you always dismiss. "More refined and visually appealing" is subjective, both Origins and Odyssey are beautiful games. Apart from the foliage and particles, I don't see anything special with Ghosts of Tsushima's graphics.

He calls those games junk, nice to the devs. GoT looks impressive but indeed a notch or two below rdr2. High end pc games abit unfair comparison, DS, HZD stand a fair bit above anything else this gen on that platform at 60fps and highest settings. SC is in next gen territory and beyond.

Owned both games at one point and couldn't stomach more than 5 hours of each, it's a shame, I used to love AC franchise. Not saying both of those two are ugly by any means, but just nothing special with a lack of a distinct, appealing visual style or technique if you will.
Ghost not only does foliage, particle very well, the volumetric lighting, SS shadow, use of color, model details are all very impressive. Just the rendering and interaction of its foliage alone makes it stand out so much more than any recent AC game.

Thankfully, gameplay is king and I'm enjoying it much more than TLOU2. If this is Sony's swansong for the PS4, I think I'll be satisfied (gotta finish it to say that for sure). Love the combat, don't really care for the stealth aspect. Wish they patch the camera to be better, it has got me killed a few times, stuck in objects or obscured by stuff in front of the screen.

I'm playing equal part open fighting and stealth and also love the gameplay. I haven't felt this thrilled with combat gameplay since Horizon Zero Dawn. The game would definitely benefit from a camera option to pan out when you're surrounded by enemies though. It's kind of surprising it's not already in there because not being able to see nearby enemies happens a lot.

Ubisoft could have published this game and called it Assassin’s Creed: Japan and it would fit right in. There’s nothing revolutionary gameplay wise in it, you go clearing icons in your map, collecting resources, leveling up and upgrading your character, doing banal side quests on the way. And I’m not saying that as a bad thing, it’s good fun and I like the last two Assassins creed games, Origins more so than Odyssey. Whether it looks better is debatable.

I got this exact same feeling. Assassination chain techniques, gadgets, upgradable gear but the combat is better than any of the Assassin's Creed games I've played - Odyssey being the last. I was not of fan of Ubisoft RPG-ifying Assassin's Creed, particularly arbitrary level numbers on enemies. Bosses are fine but not being able to damage this identical guy to that one there because they're different levels just felt a weird choice. Assassin's Creed games up to Unity did a fair job of making you feel so badass with instant assassination then they whipped that rug from under you.

Thank god for Ghosts with Chained Assassinations, Standoffs and superb sword combat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apart from the foliage and particles, I don't see anything special with Ghosts of Tsushima's graphics.

But that's the catch. PS4 is a fixed hardware, so in order to vastly improve foliage and volumetric effects/particles over its openworld "competitors", something else has to give.
But that is one of the strengthes that sets this game apart. This + setting + great art.
And that's why to me it gained its place among those other greatest openworld games, made by very experienced devs in the genre, with much bigger teams.
It's far from perfect, but it's still delivers.

But that's the catch. PS4 is a fixed hardware, so in order to vastly improve foliage and volumetric effects/particles over its openworld "competitors", something else has to give.
But that is one of the strengthes that sets this game apart. This + setting + great art.
And that's why to me it gained its place among those other greatest openworld games, made by very experienced devs in the genre, with much bigger teams.
It's far from perfect, but it's still delivers.
Of course, I understand that. But when the animation system looks the same as the Infamous games from PS3, I think they gave away too much in that department to improve others.

Well i've seen the same kind of simplistic animations in the Last gameplay video of AC vahalla. And that was the PC version.

Then That's fine. Choice is Good. You can play AC and I'll stick to my beloved ancient Japan setting :love:
Actually, I'll continue enjoying GoT too. Never said the game wasn't good. Just won't pretend its the holy grail of graphics and technology. And won't diss other games/devs because its the cool thing to do (not talking about you in particular, just a trend I see happening all the time).

Compared to Breakpoint it looks quite simplistic graphically. But what I say, Breakpoint looks more Next Gen than featured "Next Gen" titles. Not surprisingly since it also requires >15 teraflops of GPU performance. Below an RTX 2080 you do not even need to start Breakpoint.

Visually and in the way it plays GoT looks like an AC game.

Last edited:
Visually and in the way it plays GoT looks like an AC game.
Just goes to show how good GoT is as it's a 2020 game running on 2013 hardware while the latest AC game in 2020 game(cough) is running on 2020 hardware. GoT looks better and yes Valhalla footage leaked was alpha or beta or whatever but the release date is 4 months away. Not looking good imo.

Last edited:
Back