That RDNA 1.8 Consoles Rumor *spawn*

F1qCUax.png

The engineer of Sony confirms there is only one RDNA2 feature not used by Sony and there is other features not inside RDNA1 or 2 at all.

Sampler feedback maybe...

So that settles it then, right? We can stop paying mind to a purveyor of FUDge?

I think Sony's HW choices where much forced by the necessity of keeping BC more on a HW level... so no shame at all.

Its a design choice, theres never shame for less advanced or capable hw. The switch isn’t as capable but its doing very well.

F1qCUax.png

The engineer of Sony confirms there is only one RDNA2 feature not used by Sony and there is other features not inside RDNA1 or 2 at all.

Sampler feedback maybe...
poor dude. His trust was betrayed and this went down. Where did this article come from?

It's maybe an "unique" gpu, but you can still realize it's lacking this or that. With all that, chances are the xbox series x gpu is more advanced, with at the same time having a little more raw power. I like PS because of first party games, so I've no doubt it will be very nice anyway. I'm curious about how they manage the RT implementation if it's not the RDNA2 one.

I am Italian and I can tell that multiplayer.it is not reliable source about computer graphics programming. And what is going on demonstrates Rosario Leonardi shouldn't talk about such technical things to an inadequate site (a videogame website where more half of the content is clickbait and the other half is advertising masked as news).

Last edited:
It's maybe an "unique" gpu, but you can still realize it's lacking this or that. With all that, chances are the xbox series x gpu is more advanced, with at the same time having a little more raw power. I like PS because of first party games, so I've no doubt it will be very nice anyway. I'm curious about how they manage the RT implementation if it's not the RDNA2 one.

We know it is the AMD implementation since "Road to PS5". Don't read the added comment of Gavin Stevens who doesn't know about what he is talking about. No access to any devkit.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...s-and-tech-that-deliver-sonys-next-gen-vision

While Cerny doesn't mention technologies such as machine learning support or variable rate shading, PS5 does indeed deliver hardware-accelerated ray tracing via its Intersection Engine, which Cerny says is "based on the same strategy as AMD's upcoming PC GPUs". There had been speculation of an external block, but that's not the case - like next-gen Navi and Xbox Series X, the RT hardware is built into the shaders and so fully integrated. Similar to the RDNA implementation, PS5 will have access to the same kind of RT implementations we've seen in the PC space - reflections, ambient occlusion, shadows and global illumination are a good fit.

Yes is too late, but they (Sony) could try to repair the damage with a decent interview to a decent tech-site.

The site is not very important. What is important is the message and if Sony must do a decent interview it is for explain which feature they choose and the reason it seems Raytracing and VRS reading multiples Sony patents are here but not sure about ML and Sampler feedback.

And they must explain what are the PS5 features missing of the RDNA 2 GPU if there is more than GPU scrubbers and if they are purely custom or they will appear later on a more advanced RDNA GPU.

Last edited:
Raytracing and VRS reading multiples Sony patents are here but not sure about ML and Sampler feedback.
FP16 is more than sufficient for running ML models. Int8 and Int4 will provide better optimization, but FP16 support is the baseline. I wouldn't worry about ML. If they want _more_ of it, Int8 and Int4 support would have made it better, but it doesn't take ML out as an option because it's not there.

FP16 is more than sufficient for running ML models. Int8 and Int4 will provide better optimization, but FP16 support is the baseline. I wouldn't worry about ML. If they want _more_ of it, Int8 and Int4 support would have made it better, but it doesn't take ML out as an option because it's not there.

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-playstation-5/

That's true there was some ML bits from Laura Miele from EA on the second Wired article.

"I could be really specific and talk about experimenting with ambient occlusion techniques, or the examination of ray-traced shadows," says Laura Miele, chief studio officer for EA. "More generally, we’re seeing the GPU be able to power machine learning for all sorts of really interesting advancements in the gameplay and other tools." Above all, Miele adds, it's the speed of everything that will define the next crop of consoles. "We're stepping into the generation of immediacy. In mobile games, we expect a game to download in moments and to be just a few taps from jumping right in. Now we’re able to tackle that in a big way."

I'm putting Mark Cerny's quote here... because it certainly belongs in this thread...

"I'd like to make clear two points that can be quite confusing: First we have a custom amd gpu based on rdna2 tech. What does that mean?

Amd is continuously improving and revising their tech. For rdna2 their goals were roughly speaking to reduce power consumption by rearchitecting the gpu to put data closer to where it's needed, to optimize for performance, and to add more advanced features. But that feature set is malleable which is to say we have our own needs for ps5 and that can factor into what the amd roadmap becomes. So collaboration is born. If we bring concepts to amd that are felt to be widely useful, then they can be adopted into rdna2 and used broadly including in pc gpus. If the ideas are sufficiently specific to what we're trying to accomplish like the gpu cache scrubber, then they end up being just for us. If you see a similar discrete gpu available as a pc card roughly at the same time we release our console, that means our collaboration with amd succeeded in producing tech useful in both worlds. It doesn't mean we at sony simply incorporated the pc part into our console."

They most likely will, pr is important, more so then anything else. MS can counter with saying they have the more advanced gpu.
I think MS PR and May event is lot worse than anything in this thread. As that is to the wider gaming media and exposure to general public.
This will be relegated to the tech sites that are interested in the specific details.

MS can say their gpu is more advanced.
Sony can say theirs is more advanced. Example does xsx have cache scrubbers?

How many people are going to be, oh no ps5 doesn't have SFS?
Just got to keep showing games that people are interested in.

I think MS PR and May event is lot worse than anything in this thread. As that is to the wider gaming media and exposure to general public.
This will be relegated to the tech sites that are interested in the specific details.

MS can say their gpu is more advanced.
Sony can say theirs is more advanced. Example does xsx have cache scrubbers?

How many people are going to be, oh no ps5 doesn't have SFS?
Just got to keep showing games that people are interested in.

Still don't get what was so bad about the may event. It was showing off some third party games that will be available early in the life cycle of the console. Some of them looked great and interesting. At that point we already knew MS was going to be doing different monthly things with a big event planned for their first party titles

Still don't get what was so bad about the may event. It was showing off some third party games that will be available early in the life cycle of the console. Some of them looked great and interesting. At that point we already knew MS was going to be doing different monthly things with a big event planned for their first party titles

They way overhyped it and the host introductions and interviews were also super corny, stilted and forced.

It had that fucking awful corporate scripted feel Inside Xbox always has that makes it really feel like a remnant of the Mattrick era.

Reactions: Jay
Back