Formula 1 - 2020 Season

Had a question regarding something I noticed in the pit. Does each team have their own specific equipment that holds the pneumatic hose used during tire changes?
I noticed at least 2 different types of overhead "arms" used by different teams.

Just announced Redbull has the first sub 2sec pitstop of the season.

Just saw the arms. Likely the teams design the arms themselves to their own specifications.

Last edited:
Rumors of Seb being offered a Racing Point seat. The F1 feed showed how similar the brake ducts are for RB/AlphaTauri and Ferrari/Haas. If RP are penalized by the FIA, a lot of other teams may well have to be, at least on the basis of the visible ducting or winglets at the front of the brakes. And RP were the only team other than Mercedes to get into Q3 on the mediums. Starting grid is Ham Bot Str Per Vet. Both Mercs .8s clear of the field, RPs .2s clear of Vet.

I think Vettel should take the Racing Point seat. The car looks equal to RB and he wouldn’t have Max as a teammate.

If Lawrence Stroll is indeed only a, not the sole, shareholder, would it be smarter to demote Lance to a test driver role for a year or two? Or would Lance make a safer teammate? Perez is a feisty teammate.

I'd say Vettel needs to prove something before I'd worry about who he replaces.
Yeah, he should go out & win some races to prove himself, maybe a championship or 4 :runaway:

Speaking of multi-champions with no ride next year, whats the word on Hamilton?

Not with the original cast though ...

Anyway, just have to say that the current F1 (2020) game is pretty good and a nice way to prepare for watching the races etc.

And the mechanics fixed it with seconds to spare. Look like it was just the steering rod and not the actual suspension.

Despite that Verstappen still managed to take second place. Bottos, whatever version he is on, just doesn't cut it.

Its also going to get a boring two seasons at the front. The Mercedes is miles faster than the rest. At least Verstappen is mixing it up a little bit.

Some fun stuff going on in the midfield though.

Bottas was plenty fast (faster than anyone but Hamilton), he just completely botched the start. He was lucky to not be dq'd.

Bottas was plenty fast (faster than anyone but Hamilton), he just completely botched the start. He was lucky to not be dq'd.

In the interview he claimed that a light suddenly went on while waiting for the lights to go off and that ruined his start concentration and caused him several positions right there. I did see a blue light in the replay turning off again but couldn’t tell if that was what he meant or if he just started too early and had to hold back to prevent a penalty for false start.

Flawless race by Hamilton again. The only way I feel sorry for him is that without a serious opponent to challenge him (from another team) he will never be remembered as much as some other drivers I think, but he will be like Schumacher and hold many, many records for a very long time I reckon.

Fantastic job by Red Bull mechanics and also by Max for immediately being able to focus again and have an amazing start. Certainly top class driving.

I feel sorry for Leclerc. He is very talented but Ferrari is struggling so much.

And also sorry for us, for having Mercedes dominate so much [emoji28]

In the interview he claimed that a light suddenly went on while waiting for the lights to go off and that ruined his start concentration and caused him several positions right there. I did see a blue light in the replay turning off again but couldn’t tell if that was what he meant or if he just started too early and had to hold back to prevent a penalty for false start
Sky showed he had three red LEDs on top of his wheel (the RPM lights) that he reacted to that turned off literally two tenths before the start lights went off. Odd that they’d flicker without his input, and the car moved after they turned off, so I guess you can’t say they turned off because he dropped the revs. Apparently two tenths is within the allowable margin (five frames on Sky’s 25Hz feed), and he remained within his box, but the stop and start cost him.

+10 sec penalty against both Haas drivers, MAG loses one point, no penalty against Albon.
https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/29495398/magnussen-drops-10th-haas-gets-double-penalty

Haas was called to the stewards after the race and investigated for its use of radio transmissions during the formation lap. F1's rulebook states drivers must drive the car "alone and unaided" on the formation lap.

The stewards' verdict on both drivers was identical, saying: "Having considered the matter extensively, the Stewards determined that the team instructed the driver to pit. The team could not prove that one of the exemptions made under paragraph A. 2. a) to g) of the Technical Directive 011-17 was applicable".

The rule exists to prevent drivers being extensively talked through the start procedure. Radio communications are allowed once the race had started.

Why didn’t Kvyat get the same penalty? He asked his team if he could box for slicks on the formation lap. I can’t remember if they answered, but he didn’t box. I’d like to know which saved him a penalty. Did they “instruct” him, only the instruction was to do nothing?

Also, didn’t Red Bull “instruct” Max to continue to the grid rather than box after he crashed?

Maybe the issue is whether the team or the drivers initiated the communication?

Hard to believe Haas would get a more severe penalty for a super technicality than Hamilton did for robbing Albon of constructors points (twice).

Albon thing: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...rying-albons-grid.28cJY0kDa68z46MSjfQa7D.html

Vettel had two lockups (on camera, at least), one at T1 and one at T2, each of which allowed Albon past. Dunno how many errors other drivers had.

Edit: You’re right about Max, tongue. And apparently Kvyat’s engineer didn’t answer him because they knew they couldn’t. Wonder if any driver is allowed to make a call like that (switch tires on formstion lap) on their own given how many engineers there are for every little thing on an F1 car these days.

Last edited:
Why didn’t Kvyat get the same penalty? He asked his team if he could box for slicks on the formation lap. I can’t remember if they answered, but he didn’t box. I’d like to know which saved him a penalty. Did they “instruct” him, only the instruction was to do nothing?

Also, didn’t Red Bull “instruct” Max to continue to the grid rather than box after he crashed?
No idea about Kvyat, but for Max I'd guess that unforseen technical issues would be exactly such an exception listed "under paragraph A. 2. a) to g) of the Technical Directive 011-17" as quoted in the ruling.

Kvyat asked for clarification if he can come in for slicks, they didn't play a reply (presumably none given or sufficiently non instructive) & he stayed out.
Went in after 1st lap which was the right choice but they put him on Soft which was a wrong choice. 2nd early stop they put him on Hard which carried him to 12th as other drivers pitted.
Could have been better if they'd gone Med or Hard on that first pit but a good improvement on a poor qualifying.

Poor Gasly, apparently 2 ICUs wrecked.

Crazy that Verstappen could wreck his suspension on formation lap & manage to not only start but come 2nd.
Also crazy that Hamilton lapped 5th place Vettel on 56th (I think) lap.

Back