Nvidia DLSS 1 and 2 antialiasing discussion *spawn*

Its good to see new stuff come out and I would love to use a 4k resolution with DLSS on top of that. Could look really good in VR. Also great to see Fidelity FX doing such a good job also. Can't wait to see if AMD has something new with Navi 2 and if the consoles will end up with something like it

Ampere tensor operations are 2.5x faster than Turing, so the assumption is a similar performance benefit should apply to DLSS usage?
There's also the fixed cost of traversing tensor, irrespective of the actual tensor performance, right?

I think the DLSS cost is simply a function of the number of tensor cores available. Alex's tweet makes mention of DLSS 2.0 tensor core usage is likely "maxed out" across the current RTX lineup.
I would assume tensor cores are maxed, hence how it has different performance profile across GPUs with diff TOPs
Ampere increases the number of tensor cores at each GPU tier level, so associated DLSS cost should also decrease. From the graph below it seems the current DLSS 2.0 cost is variable and fairly negligible, and would expect this to shrink further with Ampere's new tensor architecture, efficiency gains.
DLSS2_5-scaled.jpg
https://wccftech.com/nvidia-dlss-2-0-behind-the-scenes-how-the-magic-happens/

I don't have an nvidia card but are you able to select 4k and then have it dlss up to 8k or another resolution higher than 4k ?
You select your display resolution and then turn DLSS on with some preset - performance, balanced, quality. If your display is able to show 8K then you can use that with DLSS.

I don't have an nvidia card but are you able to select 4k and then have it dlss up to 8k or another resolution higher than 4k ?
If you're thinking of a DSR-type upscaling beyond native, then no not currently.

If you're thinking of a DSR-type upscaling beyond native, then no not currently.
You can use DLSS with DSR. If your display is 4K for example and you can setup DSR 4x on it then you will be able to use 8K in a game which works with DSR. If this game supports DLSS then you can turn that on too. As a result the game will render in some lower than 8K res (4K possibly), DLSS will reconstruct that up to 8K and then DSR will downsample back to 4K native of your display.

More crazy experiments, this time upscaling from 270p to 1080p, results are impressive.

umm... please tell me this only works because temporal subpixel spacing gives more information over time than a single static 270p frame could do?
Otherwise i might have to change my mind about ML upscaling and get rid of some prejudges...

I'd also like to know if this uses specific training data for Control, or if this is a one suits all games solution.
I'm baffled :O

umm... please tell me this only works because temporal subpixel spacing gives more information over time than a single static 270p frame could do?
Otherwise i might have to change my mind about ML upscaling and get rid of some prejudges...

I'd also like to know if this uses specific training data for Control, or if this is a one suits all games solution.

dlss2.0 is generic. It can also be upgraded in isolation without needing changes to game(s). This presentations explains things pretty clearly.

Its. okay. Proper deep learning comes across as sorcery if done right

Honestly, while I'm not "hyped", I pretty curious about the rt performances vs the amd solution, and the dlss evolution with Ampere.

That second part shouldn't be relevant, "Does it run DLSS? - Yes". But raytracing performance should be interesting. Cyberpunk 2077 has more ore less promised to be the premier title for, but I don't know of any current card that can run sun shadows, reflections, ambient occlusion, and emissive testing all at once at a good frame rate. Since they work with Nvidia one wonders at the implication that the Ampere cards, at least top tier, may be able to do that.

Back