That RDNA 1.8 Consoles Rumor *spawn*

Ronaldo8

Regular
The lead graphics programmer of the PS5 has seemingly confirmed that the PS5 is a mix of RDNA1 and of RDNA2.This could be enlightening wrt VRS, sampler feedback and mesh shading.

The lead graphics programmer of the PS5 has seemingly confirmed that the PS5 is a mix of RDNA1 and of RDNA2.This could be enlightening wrt VRS, sampler feedback and mesh shading.

Are you referring to the Rosario Leonardi (Principal Graphics Engineer at SIE Europe) DM posted on GAF, that has since been deleted, but already spread throughout?

That does not really mean anything. Console GPUs are custom chips. RDNA2 based can still mean anything.
It more or less just seems that Sony just customized the chip in "early" stages (like MS) and RDNA2 was not ready at that time. It is still not really ready (well maybe it is in production now), else we could already buy it :).
Maybe they did not want ML-features in it. Features like this may reduce e.g. clock speed (because it makes the chip bigger and more complicated).

That does not really mean anything. Console GPUs are custom chips. RDNA2 based can still mean anything.
It more or less just seems that Sony just customized the chip in "early" stages (like MS) and RDNA2 was not ready at that time. It is still not really ready (well maybe it is in production now), else we could already buy it :).
Maybe they did not want ML-features in it. Features like this may reduce e.g. clock speed (because it makes the chip bigger and more complicated).

I think its best to think of RDNA 2 as a base and MS / Sony/ AMD modified it to their liking. I believe the one with all the bells and whistles will be the one releasing on pc this fall. It make sense since it can be so much bigger and use so much more power.

However if this guy is correct and there is no ML hardware on the version Sony modified it could be bad if AMD has a new fidelity fx using Machine language and its as good as nvidia's dlss solution. However I don't think sony skipped on the ML stuff. I think MS added in extra hardware for lower fp and int work however

However if this guy is correct and there is no ML hardware on the version Sony modified it could be bad if AMD has a new fidelity fx using Machine language and its as good as nvidia's dlss solution. However I don't think sony skipped on the ML stuff. I think MS added in extra hardware for lower fp and int work however
Isn't that the stuff that GPU ML uses, though? We don't have any real world examples on AMD hardware, but isn't nVidia's Tensor cores main features mixed precision support and being able to process int and fp concurrently? If Sony doesn't have that, it doesn't sound like they have any specialized hardware for machine learning workloads.

That would explain why they talked about the "old" primitive shaders function.

But then Sony were allowed to say it wad rdna2 based in their présentation. Weird.

I hope they have counter mesures for vrs and mesh shaders.

Is there a link/copy of what was actually said?
Would like to parse it myself.

Regarding RDNA2 through the hardware pc range.
I don't expect any to have different feature set from eachother. Only differences in levels of performance.

Regarding RDNA2 through the hardware pc range.
I don't expect any to have different feature set from eachother. Only differences in levels of performance.

Then AMD wont be able to compete with Nv, not everyone or even most can afford full fledge dpgus, in special with todays pricing. Just like NV has the 1660 turing, it's turing based, but lacking alot of it's features.

Sony being able to PR rdna2 has no bearing on the feature set atleast. A 36CU part perfectly fits in a lower range GPU part, like a 1660 to NV, could be 'based on' RDNA2, but without the bigger GPU's features set.

I think we will know soon enough what's going on. Why didn't sony advertise on the features on the 'the road to PS5' event, which was supposed to be aimed at developers and the like? (people that understand those terms), whilelst MS boasted about it to the general gamer it seems.

Last edited:
Then AMD wont be able to compete with Nv, not everyone or even most can afford full fledge dpgus, in special with todays pricing. Just like NV has the 1660 turing, it's turing based, but lacking alot of it's features.
Have they said their dropping RDNA1 when 2 comes out?

Same way you currently have polaris, vaga(on apu's) and RDNA1/navi currently in gpus being produced and sold.

Have they said their dropping RDNA1 when 2 comes out?

No idea, but RNDA1 will probably be phased out yes. RDNA2 probably will be able to offer anything from mid (or even low) end products all the way through high end.
It's probably more cost effective and a better sell. It's what NV is doing and it seems successfull.

That would mean sampler feedback streaming is not supported (in hardware) either ?
This was always a long-shot based on the logical inference RDNA 2 has sampler feedback --> PS5 is based on RDNA 2 --> PS5 has sampler feedback.
Same thing for VRS. Eurogamer asked Cerny a fairly straight forward question. It was the perfect opportunity to steal Xbox's thunder by confirming feature parity and yet Sony could/would not answer and have been dodging this question for months now. Same for mesh shading.
Occam's razor all that.

I've put so many people ignore, this last page of posts reads like gibberish as I can't see the troll posts.
The tldr; as I see it,a Neogaf user who is apparently a long time dev tweeted a DM to architecture engineer for PS5 and got back a return statement.
But because this guy was blasted by everyone for being wrong, he posted the DM and pulled it down immediately but everyone screenshot it and it’s been circulating.

Sadly, this is the RDNA 1.9 guy that I vigorously ripped on when his rumours showed up first here. I believe this guy is Odium on Neogaf.

He made mention that both are not true RDNA2 but more like 1.9. Not sure if you remember those meme days here.

I had given it some thought and there might be some truth. He was not even the first person to bring it up, back in 2018 this was also discussed.

In the end it doesn’t matter if there is feature parity. It’s just a label, unless the PC RDNA2 is completely outperforming both consoles by a sizeable amount, which some news outlets and Odium also have committed to.

We will just have to wait and see if the statements are true. As Jay wrote, if RDNA 2 fails to see light this year and the longer it takes to release may indicate it was never ready in time for production for both consoles.

Back