Ghost of Tsushima [PS4], Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut [PS4, PS5]

Game is ok so far. Some scenes are breathtakingly nice composed.

A bit rough though so far coming here after playing the master piece that is TLoU2.

Hm, still my old open world problem...story seem to be meh at worst and ‚seen that done that’ at worst.

Best part so far: combat is really well done. Genius way of having no enemy lock on, but still super control over who to attack...reminds me of Dragon’s Dogma.

Camera is very close though...

I'm really enjoying this a lot so far, kinda feels refreshing to play something game-y after TLOU2 :)

Every game should use SS Shadow from now on, it grounds the grass and pebbles so much more and games not using it would look rather flat in comparison such as RDR2.
Ghost
cefGhostofTsushima20200.jpg

RDR2
https://video-images.vice.com/articles/5be09c5b3e2dfd000637ab48/lede/1541447137942-RDR2-4.jpeg
https://www.newstatesman.com/sites/default/files/blogs_2018/10/dhw6ucx9laj5esv6rngn.png

OMG, his name was Rick too!! :yep2: And he lives in a Citadel! :nope: Anyway, diving into Ghosts in about 20 minutes. This is the longest I've waited on any pre-ordered pre-loaded game between it unlocking and starting to play the game. Wirth Red Dead Redemption 2 I was there at midnight waiting for that unlock!

Every game should use SS Shadow from now on, it grounds the grass and pebbles so much more and games not using it would look rather flat in comparison such as RDR2.
Ghost
cefGhostofTsushima20200.jpg

RDR2
https://video-images.vice.com/articles/5be09c5b3e2dfd000637ab48/lede/1541447137942-RDR2-4.jpeg
https://www.newstatesman.com/sites/default/files/blogs_2018/10/dhw6ucx9laj5esv6rngn.png

RDR2 does use SS shadows extensively. The grass and pebbles shadows are just not as strong because they don't have as many of those actually modeled with geometry. They rely much more on ground textures and I admire the artistry in making so few vegetation cards (to current gen standards, RDR1 was ironically ahead of the time in this department) blend so well into the scene. Ghosts grass is technically impressive, but it is definetely more flashy, they do anything but blend into the environment.

I just watched df review, oh wee. Why no other reviewer mentioned the audio.

For those that played this and TLOU2, how does ghost compares?

TLOU2 was really impressive. The sounds feels so real, complete with clever use of LFE.

Not far in and I'm loving the combat. It does a really good job of making you feel absolutely bad ass. :yes:

TLOU2 was really impressive. The sounds feels so real, complete with clever use of LFE.

In audio it's on par to me. The distant thunder in GoT is very impressive how it's done, same for other weather effects. BF4 paracel storm also deserves a mention in this regard, the thunderstorm/rain sounds are incredible there too.

In audio it's on par to me. The distant thunder in GoT is very impressive how it's done, same for other weather effects. BF4 paracel storm also deserves a mention in this regard, the thunderstorm/rain sounds are incredible there too.

Indeed! Knowing how amazing it looks and sounds, If this game story mode is not "meh" I surely would buy it. As I really can't play games without strong story (now I just realized despite destiny paper thin story, it's environment actually tells lots of story).

Btw it seems all frostbite games sounds ridiculously good compared to other games at its release.

I'm at the last third of the island. Combat doesn't change that much apart from new skills learned in the second part leading to much more fluid combat.
However, enemies fake your duels much more so duels aren't that useful starting in the second part.
Enemy also get upgraded through all sorts of ways to force you to change your tactics.

RDR2 does use SS shadows extensively. The grass and pebbles shadows are just not as strong because they don't have as many of those actually modeled with geometry. They rely much more on ground textures and I admire the artistry in making so few vegetation cards (to current gen standards, RDR1 was ironically ahead of the time in this department) blend so well into the scene. Ghosts grass is technically impressive, but it is definetely more flashy, they do anything but blend into the environment.
The pictures I linked clearly shows no SS Shadow was present tho, it might use the technique but probably with a far reduced parameter or intensity. Yeah the extreme vegetation density in Tsushima further amplifys the effect too.
I also disagree on the grass not blending in with the environment, I think it's the more stylized lighting and very contrasty tone perhaps make things more flashy.

I thought Ghost's soundstage is wider with more activities than Tlou2's. All those wind whooshing by, vegetation rattling in the wind, insect and bird chirping are ever more present. While Tlou2's more subtler overall, I feel the LFS is punchier. Both games have great sound design for sure.

Absolutely adoring the combat, it's so easy to become overconfident and get annihilated. :yep2: But apply what you're taught, don't rush, right stance, counter, parry, exploit and it just feels soooooooo goooooooood.

here are the very results of good tech with fantastic art.
reducing polygons and very high res textures budgets to allow millions of blades of grass or flower, with wind, particles and volumetric fogs etc... make for an awesome atmospheric game. And they were so right to allow scenery movements during photo mode, as the magic still operates during that mode.

Back