Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

To be fair I had no expectations for this, I mean you need to use the controller yourself to feel it.
It was never or could never actually be informative without actual hands on experience.
But maybe someone else whould have avoided to somehow kill some of the hype around the new features ?

What with all of this drip fed reveals? Is Sony doesn't have any first party mind blowing exclusives to reveal?

Sure play room probably will be silly fun as usual. But it doesn't even look much better than the one on PS4 pro. The gamepad features also seems very hard to communicate?

Geoff keeps mentioning the speaker... But DS4 already have a speaker..

I'm. More curious with the triggers
Drip feed isn’t so bad as Long as it is text for instance. We’re allowed to quickly get the information we want. Video drip reveal is perhaps the worst. You have to sit for 30 minutes to get the piece of information you need.

video reveals are good for big things. Text good for smaller.

Drip feed isn’t so bad as Long as it is text for instance. We’re allowed to quickly get the information we want. Video drip reveal is perhaps the worst. You have to sit for 30 minutes to get the piece of information you need.
I agree with this but we live in times where many people, including the leader of the free world, don't like to read! And if you wanted to know about battery life you would have sat through that 30 minutes and still been disappointed!

I'm so thankful that Digital Foundry do both for every article. Occasionally I'll watch the video, sometimes I'll read the article or have the Mac read it to me in one. The Moira (Scottish) and Fiona (Irish) voices are amazingly soothing.

I agree with this but we live in times where many people, including the leader of the free world, don't like to read! And if you wanted to know about battery life you would have sat through that 30 minutes and still been disappointed!

I'm so thankful that Digital Foundry do both for every article. Occasionally I'll watch the video, sometimes I'll read the article or have the Mac read it to me in one. The Moira (Scottish) and Fiona (Irish) voices are amazingly soothing.
Indeed! Yea I didn’t watch it, the original article was fairly informative I didn’t think I would need a to watch a “feel” test.

I don’t own a PS4 but I see posts from time to time with some rumblings about battery life on DS4. I just assumed it would be the first thing they would try to address to their existing customer base.

Not every game has to use every feature, not every game will use every feature, and demos like Astrobot show us how clunky a game is when it's cramming in every feature of a system. But it's a demo first and a game second.

Astrobot exists to serve the same purpose as Playroom on the PS4: an interconnected series of demos to show off system features with which the user may not be familiar.

And plenty of people probably aren't familiar with obscure mechanics from a ~30 year old SNES game.
it wasn't on the snes. It was on the regular nintendo but only in japan. In the us they removed the microphone from it.

Also on the DS editions of mario kart and 3ds you could blow into the microphone to restore balloons in battle mode.

Are they doing the same with ps5? Another ~3.5Gb reserved for OS?
I wonder if the speed of the ssd could allow to have a smaller « os reserved » memory. Maybe having only a micro kernel ( although freebsd doesn’t have a micro kernel) and realtime apps (like messenging apps) in memory and load everything else (OS UI, etc..) on demand when pressing the ps button.

I wonder if the speed of the ssd could allow to have a smaller « os reserved » memory. Maybe having only a micro kernel ( although freebsd doesn’t have a micro kernel) and realtime apps (like messenging apps) in memory and load everything else (OS UI, etc..) on demand when pressing the ps button.
With 16GB, I doubt they would reserve any less than 2.5GB again, there's a point of diminishing returns here. The worst memory wasting app will always be the web browser. They don't have any control over what the worst case web app will require for the entire useful life of the console, Also they can always free up more memory later if they were too conservative at launch, but if they didn't reserve enough at launch they are stuck with that forever.

wonder if it would have been smarter to have a small pool of nand like 8 gigs or something on its own sata channel or pci-e channel that was just for the OS.

Back