Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

So he has a DualSense controller and a PS5. Or they're streaming a PS5 to him using RemotePlay. But it looks too HQ for RemotePlay.

So uhm, am I reading the internet correctly, you have to blow the controller like old school cartridges from the 70s? That's just some sarcastic joke overreaction, right?

Not every game has to use every feature, not every game will use every feature, and demos like Astrobot show us how clunky a game is when it's cramming in every feature of a system. But it's a demo first and a game second.

Astrobot exists to serve the same purpose as Playroom on the PS4: an interconnected series of demos to show off system features with which the user may not be familiar.

And plenty of people probably aren't familiar with obscure mechanics from a ~30 year old SNES game.

To me the controller talk and "demo" was way less interesting than the game itself as an early look at the capabilities of the PS5.

Nothing in the free Astrobots game looked particularly exciting to me but I think it's a nice gesture that again (like The PlayRoom on PS4) Sony have bundled a title that demonstrate the capabilities of they new controller. It'll serve as a fun overall tutorial for the new controller.

So uhm, am I reading the internet correctly, you have to blow the controller like old school cartridges from the 70s? That's just some sarcastic joke overreaction, right?

Yes. The Astrobots uses the microphone to the detect the player blowing. I've definitely seen this mechanic before in a Zelda game for DS or 3DS where you had to blow dust off a stone tablet, again using the mic. On the 3DS if you blow into the mic on the game menu screen, the title of the game will spin fast.

This is really not an existing use of the mic, I'd like to use uses of the mic where the game listens to your reactions like if you're hiding in a horror game and you make a noise, the enemies can find you.

This wasn’t great. The actual dual sense functionality wasn’t really discussed very well. I have seen worse marketing people, but the difference between him and Mark Cerny is that I don’t expect the latter to ever call the PS5 “The Product”, let alone 10 or so times. After after this, I can see an endless line of jokes and memes, but this interview is so forgettable people may not even care.

Consumer at retail site:

Hi, how may I help my potential revenue source?

Hi, I am looking for The Product.

I’m sorry, we have 1265 products on site, and 12.431 we can order. Could you be more specific?

Oh. I guess, the Sony product then.

Hmm. That still brings it down to about a few hundred. Even more specific?

Oh. Eh. The *latest* Sony product?

No, sorry, not good enough.

Oh ok, the latest Playstation product!

*Glares*

But I don’t know if it is out yet! Oh wait, he did tell me they would tell me when and how the preorder would work. Sorry, I guess I want paying attention. Never mind, I’ll be back!

*store person goes outside and takes up smoking again*

Add on TV:

Buy our latest Product now! We look forward to your revenue and hope you buy many licenses that also benefit our partners. We also hope for much positive consumer feedback on and offline generating even more revenue!

Fortunately in general Sony hasn’t been like this much so far, so this one fell a bit out of character and I hope it was just this one time.

This wasn’t great. The actual dual sense functionality wasn’t really discussed very well.

I agree but I think like VR headsets, this is something that is really difficult to convey without an actual personal hands on.

How a controller feels in your hands, how the haptics and force-feedback triggers feel is something that can only be experienced and an opinion made by each individual because our hands are all sizes and shapes, with different level of muscle, tissue and fat. I'm sure there will be people who liked the DualShock 4 who dislike the DualShock 5, and vice-versa. And people who will like both, and plenty of people who don't really care or just adjust because they already use a bunch of different controllers.

What with all of this drip fed reveals? Is Sony doesn't have any first party mind blowing exclusives to reveal?

Sure play room probably will be silly fun as usual. But it doesn't even look much better than the one on PS4 pro. The gamepad features also seems very hard to communicate?

Geoff keeps mentioning the speaker... But DS4 already have a speaker..

I'm. More curious with the triggers

Back