When will current-gen console production stop? [XO, PS4] *spawn*

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
They want the people who would buy the SAD to buy Lockhart while the One S can still serve as a intro to the Xbox ecosystem for people looking to get a UHD Blu-Ray player.

And now it's official. Even before we have prices on next-gen systems.

Though they say they're still making One S Optical editions.

I don't think for much longer. I believe it was just purchase orders that were delayed from Covid. It will be enough stock to limp to the holiday and maybe slightly beyond.

I believe in the states the one s has been $200. So one last black Friday under $200 for a Halo burst and to get people on game pass

The logical one to keep would be the SAD.
Given the rough split of physical vs. digital game sales is around 50/50, keeping only SAD would surely mean it's appealing to half as of the number of people buying games? I think there is also a case to be made that the type of people buying One S this late in the day are more budget conscious and may be the type buying cheap games on disc, or borrowing them from friends or a library. Not everybody can spring for a subscription and there will be many like me with atrocious internet which makes GamePass unattractive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did they make a statement about 4Pro that I missed?
Nope. I just expect it to be axed. It won't be the premium PS when Ps5 comes out. It won't be cheap entry-level. It's not a particularly good mid-ground.

Depending on your point of view it could be 4 PS SKUs & 3 XB SKUs.
PS5 Bulge and PS5 Svelte are the same thing. The only difference is optical drive and that's pretty obvious.

Plus the thing being talked about here is price. If it's a choice between a $200 XB1, $350 LH, or $500 XBSX, they'll pick the one that's the right price. ;)

PS5 Bulge and PS5 Svelte are the same thing. The only difference is optical drive and that's pretty obvious.

You've tried to say that twice & each time you're wrong. It's 2 separate SKUs & 2 different prices. It's not like they are different colors.

Tommy McClain

Functionally they play games the same. XB1S, LH and XBSX play games differently. Even if someone bought the wrong PS5, they won't have a different experience with games.

In terms of consumer choice, what game experience they want, for PS family it'll either be PS4 or PS5, maybe PS4 Pro. For XB family, it'll be XB1, LH or XBSX.

They will if they try inserting a physical disc.
What exactly is this argument?? Of course they going to be caught out if they buy the wrong one, but why is that a topic of conversation?

In a thread about when current consoles will end production, following notice XB1SAD and XB1X are being discontinued now, I pointed out that there will be three different hardware platforms (not SKUs) for MS and 2, maybe 3 if 4Pro is kept around although I doubt it, for PS. Among those different pieces of hardware, there'll be many SKUs. There'll be different bundles. Consumers will have the threat of wanting to buy a Batman bundle and getting an F1 Racing bundle if they're as clueless as some are seeming to suggest. Worse still, they may intend to buy a $200 PS4 and end up with a $400 PS4+PSVR bundle. But...what has that got to do with anything?

I literally do not understand the point being raised. I don't know what comparison is being made (different hardware platforms or different Stock Keeping Unit or different RRP price tiers) and I don't know why it's being made.

:???:

The argument is your distinction of what different experiences are is seemingly arbitrary and ignores some aspects.

Experiences as in the games played, obviously. This is a discussion about hardware platforms. PS5 DD and PS5 phat will have exactly the same games and graphics and sounds and interface. PS4 will have a different game experience to those PS5 platforms. Ergo, two different platforms.

Also, what does it matter? This is a discussion about hardware platforms. Since when did calling a DD only version of a console constitute a different platform? It doesn't matter whether MS discontinued XB1S or XB1SAD; the XB1 platform would still be alive in the console that's kept. So why is a distinction being made between PS5 and PS5DD? What;s the purpose??

I still don't know what the argument is because no-one's explaining why we need to differentiate between PS5 DD and PS5 in a thread about console generations! :runaway:

So installation of games does not count as experiences?

Everyone else is just trying to figure out what exactly you mean, hence why we're asking questions and presenting our own interpretations so we can have a discussion that's more than just you participating.

EDIT: From what I can see going back, the first person to bring in next-gen into the recent discussion was you with your post portion starting with "So we'll have on the market in 2021..." @ https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2140131/

You brought platforms into the discussion when we were talking price of different models after the discontinuation. If you want to keep throwing words & words about platforms, then go ahead.

Tommy McClain

I think that shows the SAD just isn't that popular. If they make the choice between S and SAD, and choose S, there has to be good reason.
I expect S to get a price drop, same as I expect for PS4. There's an audience for super-cheap consoles. Unless Lockhart really is as some people would imagine cheaper and faster and better in every way, that should be a middle-tier product, replacing XB1X. So we'll have on the market in 2021...

XB1S > LH > XBSX

and

PS4 > PS5

With XB1S and PS4 pushed as far below $200 as possible to build up the ecosystems.
Sadly they never had it priced properly and it also suffered from being the same size as the s. They should have redesigned it to take advantage of the extra space.

They did try and entice with free games but those games were all also on game pass which kinda made it less valuable.

Aside from that , like i said elsewhere i think this is more to do with production contracts that were delayed because of covid. I expect once this run of xos is done being produced that will be it. I expect the amount to dry up this holiday or early next year at the latest.

Xbox One S won't exist going forward. They mostly don't have inventory anymore and had to do some special runs just to get what limited numbers they had available the past few months.

When Series S and Series X are available there won't be any Xbox One family around.
It should be around for a little bit. There has been a trade in program in the past. I’m never sure what they do with those consoles though. I can only assume sell them again at a cheaper rate to other markets that never had them

Back