Ghost of Tsushima [PS4], Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut [PS4, PS5]

Yeah especially with these loading times as shown by DF, you’d expect the PS5 patch to remove them altogether.

And then have native 4k/30 or something and/or a lower res 60fps mode.

Too much filler and having a few too many open world tropes seem to be the main complaints here.

I’m hearing good things about the combat actually, and the ‘Tenchu’ style multiple stronghold attack approaches sound great.

I'm 7 hours in and I can confirm that Hard mode is not easy, definitely not AC easy.

Anybody telling you that enemies take turns attacking you is smoking pot.
Ok so the 6/10 VG247 review on metacritic is BS. Noted!

It has its moments, but like Jin Sakai in the opening hours, the past holds it back. It’s Open World: The Video Game. It’s far too easy, too - the lack of consequence for failure makes it feel like you’re just going through the motions. If you’ll excuse the wind-based pun, it’s a breeze. While playing it, I often found my mind wandering. By the third and final act, I just wanted it to be over. Like the samurai, Ghost of Tsushima feels like a relic of a bygone era.

Yeah especially with these loading times as shown by DF, you’d expect the PS5 patch to remove them altogether.

And then have native 4k/30 or something and/or a lower res 60fps mode.

Too much filler and having a few too many open world tropes seem to be the main complaints here.

I’m hearing good things about the combat actually, and the ‘Tenchu’ style multiple stronghold attack approaches sound great.

All open world games has some kind of fillers...even the Witcher 3 does. The question is are they optional or forced?

BTW I played about 1 hour. Had to stop to get back to work. Will continue playing after the Dualsense show as work finishes when the show starts. 2 more hours!!! Also on standby. UGH!

Nothing wrong with the combat i think, better then the last two AC games. Graphically it's a stunner, only pc games beat it for this gen, with death stranding and soon HZD. (i wont count SC as a game)

About 20 hours in, cleared the first of the three maps.
Combat gets much easier once you understand the system and understand how to manage the enemies, but still punishes you harshly for doing things wrong.
Point is you need the skills to do enemy management.

Main thing you must learn about the game: stances.

Stance mainly influence your strong attack, and you need to memorize what the four do.

Square: Anything wielding a huge weapon
Triangle: Anything carrying a pole.
Circle Anything with a shield
Cross: Anything else that carries a sword.

Bowmen get killed in 3 weak attacks so they don't require any stance.

Your strong attack is enhanced by using the right stance against the right enemy (and is very weak against the wrong enemies, you're better off using square against anything that's not countered by your stance).

Stance strong attacks generally have special guard break animations against countered enemies, making them much easier to land.
Using the right stance triangle attacks also generally breaks the guard within 2 hits (~4 hits for bosses).

For example, Using Water stance against shielded enemies will swipe their legs and break their shield stance, opening them up to further attacks. You can't do that with other stances, so it's not just a damage multiplier.

If you don't use stances to kill them, then you're forced to use parry counters or dodge counters as mashing enemies really isn't an option in this game.

There is actually very little ghosting/stealth after you get used to the combat as simply charging in yields much faster results. You stealth large camps but you just duel/kill any random groups you find on the map (usually these groups have 6~8 people).

Generally I duel the first three enemies. Usually leaving ~4 left. Of these four usually 2 are bowmen and can be killed in a couple of seconds, leaving only two to really have to fight.

There's also a way to cop out too. If you get the smoke bomb and level the assassinate to max (giving you triple assassinate), you can smoke and combo stealth kill three enemies at once.

One more tip: explosives do wonders in large battles (for some reason they don't really kill allies), so use them!

On a further note, Lock ons don't really work in this game as it really does require you to switch targets quite frequently. Targeting simply using the left stick actually works quite fine to be honest.

Last edited:
I hope to be able to dive into Ghosts this afternoon.

I won’t be playing this game because I’m going on holiday. That’s it, I just wanted all of you to know that I’m going on holiday. You’re welcome.
Where are you going?
p.s. have a great time!

Still not started this. The guy putting down our kitchen floor is some kind of crazy perfectionist and insists it all be 100% level like we're doing critical scientific experiments in there or something.

I don't somehow feel confident to say it's fine one degree off over two meters and I want him to sod off so I can kill some Mongols.

the only thing for now that i noticed is enhanced in photo mode are character shadows, environment shadows look the same.
Maybe on PS5 shadow quality will be the same in gameplay.

Back