Microsoft Project xCloud (Game Streaming), now offering Fortnite free without GPU membership

Xcloud in Gamepass Ultimate is very interesting. I will probably sub at full price a few months from time to time to play the games I want to play like Sunset Overdrive, the two ori or in the future Hellblade 2 and Fable. I hope they will have an option for smart TV.

Xcloud in Gamepass Ultimate is very interesting. I will probably sub at full price a few months from time to time to play the games I want to play like Sunset Overdrive, the two ori or in the future Hellblade 2 and Fable. I hope they will have an option for smart TV.
do Smart TVs support bluetooth controllers? or is a dongle for this type of thing going to be needed?

I've said it before but go to bing.com and sign up for microsoft rewards. Most people never have to pay for game pass ultimate.

Maybe it's the corporatese that spencer uses and that rotten everything, but xcloud sound any day more like the next generation kinect/tv.
Not in function but in scope and effect.
Foresee a new trend to differentiate, make a good product, diverge the communication from games games games, people think that's nice but want only games, let sony win.

What's the hardware you're playing on for this? XOne or XOneX?

One S's at the mo. XSX from next year.

I'm actually curious about this. They said an XSX chip will virtualize 4 Xbox One instances. How easy is that to actually implement that and have the games run well? Wouldn't this just add complexity with compatibility?

Also begs the question of what version of the game you will be playing on Xcloud. Get the impression you will always playing the Xbox One version until it there is no choice but for Micrososft to run a "next-gen instance".

Maybe it's the corporatese that spencer uses and that rotten everything, but xcloud sound any day more like the next generation kinect/tv.
Not in function but in scope and effect.
Foresee a new trend to differentiate, make a good product, diverge the communication from games games games, people think that's nice but want only games, let sony win.

Good job then that Xcloud is exclusively about games.

Good job then that Xcloud is exclusively about games.
not only that but its the gamers who wanted kinect gone not MS. They launched an enhanced version for the xbox one. Its a shame because kinect v2 would have been a really good sensor for vr.....

I'm actually curious about this. They said an XSX chip will virtualize 4 Xbox One instances. How easy is that to actually implement that and have the games run well? Wouldn't this just add complexity with compatibility?

Also begs the question of what version of the game you will be playing on Xcloud. Get the impression you will always playing the Xbox One version until it there is no choice but for Micrososft to run a "next-gen instance".

Launch Xbox 1 is 1.4TF. Doesn’t seem to be an issue to me

The CPU easily seems 4x more powerful than the puny jaguars. The GPU certainly is as well.

I'm assuming they have a mostly customized primary control board with more memory to handle the 4 instances of games built around assumption of having 5 GB of memory (Xbox One games is 5GB memory size). I'm also assuming one SOC runs the same game as all 4 instances. They could possibly have different hypervisor layer with better memory page sharing where memory used on "game code" can be reused between the instances.

If a game has 2GB of code, that would save (2GB * 3) 6GB of memory across 4 instances on 1 SOC. Then you have 3GB memory remaining from your initial 5GB memory footprint, so that's 12GB used for game data (3GB * 4). So overall this theoretical example uses total of 14GB of memory for 4 instances of 1 game.

Throw in some copy-on-write memory techniques and you could reuse the same memory until the data is modified.

Or on the custom board you have it setup with 20 GB (or more) of ram.

Would they use the Series X main board or do something else? They intend to have millions of SOCs in their data centres. There's enough economy of scale to make a custom solution viable.

The CPU easily seems 4x more powerful than the puny jaguars. The GPU certainly is as well.

I'm assuming they have a mostly customized primary control board with more memory to handle the 4 instances of games built around assumption of having 5 GB of memory (Xbox One games is 5GB memory size). I'm also assuming one SOC runs the same game as all 4 instances. They could possibly have different hypervisor layer with better memory page sharing where memory used on "game code" can be reused between the instances.

If a game has 2GB of code, that would save (2GB * 3) 6GB of memory across 4 instances on 1 SOC. Then you have 3GB memory remaining from your initial 5GB memory footprint, so that's 12GB used for game data (3GB * 4). So overall this theoretical example uses total of 14GB of memory for 4 instances of 1 game.

Throw in some copy-on-write memory techniques and you could reuse the same memory until the data is modified.

Or on the custom board you have it setup with 20 GB (or more) of ram.

I'm less talking about whether it has the power and more about compatibility issues. There's a new added layer of virtualization with this no?

I'm less talking about whether it has the power and more about compatibility issues. There's a new added layer of virtualization with this no?

Since it works for consumers in the form of improved gaming experience through Backwards Compatibility, why would there be issues on xCloud?

Well, it depends what you want out of it. X1S on a ~6 inch screen fixes many image quality sins, just not framerates and latency.
I'm thinking more on the big TV and not having an Xbox. You can't stream GamePass PC games from your PC anywhere so for example having a Shield client and using xCloud for couch gaming.

You can't stream GamePass PC games from your PC anywhere so for example having a Shield client and using xCloud for couch gaming.

If you have a Samsung TV you use Steamlink in desktop mode. I stream from my gaming desktop to a laptop using Moonlight in Desktop mode. In principle I could hook that into the TV if I wanted.

Edit. I think Moonlight is just using Nvidia's streaming. Forget how you enable it to stream your desktop but it's in their FAQs.

Back