Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The upgrade we have been waiting for indeed :) Can't wait for HZD analysis, with 60fps ultrawide and upped settings. A eventual forbidden west pc version at 60 would be amazing.

Last edited:

Far Cry: The ORIGINAL CryEngine Tested on 2005 PC Hardware: Athlon X2 3800+/GeForce 6800GT!

Too bad we don't see things like this anymore on pc, now we are held back. Aside from SC then.

Last edited:

Crysis Remastered on Switch

dat intro. :LOL:

edit:

Full Article
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-crysis-remastered-switch-tech-review

Based on information from the developer, the full dynamic resolution scaling range is 540p to 900p while docked, dropping to 400p to 720p in mobile configuration, where Crytek leans into the 460MHz 'power' GPU mode (up from the typical 384MHz used in most Switch games).

the most significant and surprising addition here is sparse voxel-based global illumination, also known as SVOGI.
According to the team responsible for its conversion, this implementation of the systems runs at a very low resolution on Switch but the primary optimisation work centered around optimising data formats to reduce size, limiting the distance rays can be traced into the octree and using smaller kernels.

the conversion is based on nine-year-old PS3/Xbox 360 code

Much of the action plays out at 30 frames per second, and again, performance overall is much the same whether you're playing docked or in handheld mode. Crysis Remastered is CPU-limited in most scenarios and the Switch's ARM cores run at the same clocks whether you're playing docked or in mobile mode.

Last edited:
Yup. Crysis remastered hasn’t been released yet on other platforms yet, so they’re comparing to vanilla Crysis.

Oof, that was a rough watch. It's bizarre because MS had since May to get their shit together. And one of the main criticisms from the May event was that there was hardly any actual gameplay. Yesterday we got Infinite and that was pretty much it. The rest were a bunch of 'in-engine' & CGI trailers for games that are way the fuck out in the distance of release. What's the point of addressing the feedback on twitter and getting multiple articles written about it, and still make the same mistake? Maybe COVID really has messed things up? I don't know.

Everwild does look pretty amazing though. The art direction for the game looks great and hopefully it's representative of the final product. The Medium was also really interesting as DF pointed out that there are almost no games that tackle that type of design. I'm not actually too worried about Fable because I know it's in good hands and should look amazing when they finally show actual gameplay.

Watched the video, as I'ld only seen the halo trailer before

halo: embarrassment
forza: looks brilliant, if they can output that then will be the best looking racer, my only complaint is its looks too clean
everwild: love the miyazaki art style, still experimenting with the gameplay! well I can sympathize somewhat with my game currently :)
tell me why: meh
ori: looks good
outer worlds: bad
grounded: looks pretty bad, though fun, I want to play this one.
avowed: cgi
Matt Booty!!! wat
as dusk falls: interesting
hellblade 2: I have a feeling it will end up close to this in parts, which is the best looking xbox one game, but will have to see gameplay (scrub that, crossfire looks to be ahead)
psychonauts 2: brilliant graphics, doesnt look like an xbox game, very excited to see this
destiny 2: yes of course it looked better than halo but still not that good at all.
stalker 2: the last part where the person looks back, this is near chernobyl, its what the russians used to detect if the USA launched missiles, to me being there, its more impressive than chernobyl. if you get the chance go there!
warhammer: looks good, but CGI
tetris: I'ld have to see it
the gunk: looks to be fun to play
the medium: top 3 for graphics
fantasy star online 2: nearly as bad as halo
crossfire X: brilliant, better than hellblade, the faces were not as good though, particle effects were brilliant
fable: cgi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back