General Next Generation Rumors and Discussions [Post GDC 2020]

I am really curious about the cooling because Cerny hinted at it being something special. Back in the PS3 days it was also pretty neat (huge fan cleverly placed). Maybe this time they have a corkscrew design like in a submarine displacement engine, watercooling or they worked together with Dyson [emoji16]
Although PS3 still got loud. But yeah, Cerny seemed proud of the design so it'll definitely be interesting. The shape of the console seems somewhat influence by it.

Please keep console warring out of it. Some people might always have a particular interpretative leaning, but as long as the arguments are fairly and civilly presented, it's all good.
Sorry, but the rumours have to start somewhere and if they turn out completely false then you have to ask the question.

The problem I see with the yield thing, as already mentioned, is 1) why would Sony have lower yields than MS on the same architecture and fab? 2) If due to parametric yields, what can they do to improve those over time?

If the architecture cannot deal well with the power requirements, how can that be improved on the current node? To my ill-informed mind, you'd be stuck with that problem until the next node shrink. Although I guess GPU refreshes point to some changes allowing clocking higher? But until I see a good explanation how the yields could have been poor but now be good, I find it difficult to believe there were ever significant yield problems. It was conceivable based on this idea of Sony pushing the chip limits right up until 10 M units ramping up was announced; that's a very contradictory data point, and a solidly reliable one rather than a vague suggestion.
This is what I don’t get at all - they are essentially the same chip tech/fab Sony could only (I presume) get the same locked frequency as MS which was not an efficient use of the silicon so they chose the variable route.

People think this is causing issues, but Cerny seemed confident enough in what he was saying, he clearly stated it would be quieter than PS4 but people talk about how noisy it will be and hard to produce based on little evidence and a lack of full understanding from what I can see.

Again, this is like when folk were doubting the SSD speeds after the Wired article...everyone assumes Sony can’t deliver...I’m confident they can.

Fan noise is subjective. Quiet is subjective.

I wouldn't recommend reading them but there are two industry standards that quantify noise for electrical and telecommunications equipment, including mechanical devices like fans. It's intended more for a whole device, but you can apply the standards to individual components.

ISO 9296 and ECMA-109. A great read if you ever have insomnia! ;)

Although PS3 still got loud. But yeah, Cerny seemed proud of the design so it'll definitely be interesting. The shape of the console seems somewhat influence by it.

Mine was quiet but I think I got lucky, there were 2 fan types I believe. Mine was a Japanese launch machine so I likely got the good one :p

This is what I don’t get at all - they are essentially the same chip tech/fab Sony could only (I presume) get the same locked frequency as MS which was not an efficient use of the silicon so they chose the variable route.
Perhaps another perspective is that to achieve better yields MS left performance on the table.

To achieve more performance Sony opted for less yield.

Both of these are determined by their clockspeed targets. If you wanted the maximum yield I believe the GPU base clock is 1500Mhz for RDNA devices. So with respect to the absolute base clock both are losing yield to gain performance.

and both companies should naturally select their yield % based on the price points they intend to target for their respective device. When you don’t get the yield you want, I would suspect they would consider that disappointing or having problems with yield (expected X but got Y) But when that information trickles down to us that statement can be heavily blown out of proportion.

They will sell more games and they will recover the loss. All first party games are for the PS5 first year. And this time digital sales are higher than during first year of current-gen.

And never forget, Jim Ryan told this to investor and shareholders:
Sony's Jim Ryan said:
As we move towards the next-generation in 2020, one of our tasks – probably our main task – is to take that community and transition it from PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5, and at a scale and pace that we’ve never delivered on before.”

It's definitely in both companies interest to get existing users to purchase the same brand console again and "lock them in" to their respective ecosystems for the next 5-7 years. New launches are probably the catalyst for more decisions relating to switching platforms but I'd say the this coming launch it will be counter-balanced by people probably not wanting to lose their game libraries.

He literally promised I would be "satisfied with what their engineers came up with". He obviously doesn't know how difficult I am.
I believe the quote was "quite happy". :yes: So check in that satisfaction and downgrade is to "quite happy", which is sub-happy.

I believe the quote was "quite happy". :yes: So check in that satisfaction and downgrade is to "quite happy", which is sub-happy.

Not in America. I was surprised to learn we have different meanings for that phrase. Apparently in the UK (and elsewhere?) it is sub-happy and here it's the equivalent of "pretty happy". I wonder how many misunderstandings have arisen from this!

"I was quite happy to meet you." "Well, fuck you too!"

Edit: Was trying to arrive at a derivation and perhaps the distinction is short for "not-quite" vs. short for "quite a lot".

Last edited:
Sorry, but the rumours have to start somewhere and if they turn out completely false then you have to ask the question.

People think this is causing issues, but Cerny seemed confident enough in what he was saying, he clearly stated it would be quieter than PS4 but people talk about how noisy it will be and hard to produce based on little evidence and a lack of full understanding from what I can see.

Again, this is like when folk were doubting the SSD speeds after the Wired article...everyone assumes Sony can’t deliver...I’m confident they can.

MS may have chosen to respin the chips to get better yields. They may have spent more money in fixing any issues that cropped up and hoped to recoup it with better yields and higher performance.

The variable route doesn't to me sound like an ideal situation. You can never have more than the max clock speed but can now have less than the max clock speed. Just sounds like a recipe for an uneven experience for some users

Not in America. I was surprised to learn we have different meanings for that phrase. Apparently in the UK (and elsewhere?) it is sub-happy...
I've never heard it used a negative. 'Quite happy' is below happy but above indifferent and the opposite of 'quite unhappy'. As you'd expect:

Extremely unhappy < very unhappy < unhappy < quite unhappy < indifferent < quite happy < happy < very happy < extremely happy

'Quite' is a modifier to mean in part. The only time it wouldn't be used as that is if being sarcastic, where the 'quite' is immaterial. "Oh, sure thing, Mum. I'm quite happy to do those jobs for you.

Note there's another 'quite' which means to the fullest extent.

"Quite happy" at the heat solution in PS5 is a positive, and the wry smile suggests he was understating it too and people will actually be impressed.

I've never heard it used a negative. 'Quite happy' is below happy but above indifferent and the opposite of 'quite unhappy'. As you'd expect:

Extremely unhappy < very unhappy < unhappy < quite unhappy < indifferent < quite happy < happy < very happy < extremely happy

'Quite' is a modifier to mean in part. The only time it wouldn't be used as that is if being sarcastic, where the 'quite' is immaterial. "Oh, sure thing, Mum. I'm quite happy to do those jobs for you.

"Quite happy" at the heat solution in PS5 is a positive, and the wry smile suggests he was understating it too and people will actually be impressed.

I dunno why we are playing the semantics game with the word quite. I think we just have to wait and see what they actually did in the console.

MS may have chosen to respin the chips to get better yields.
What do you mean by 'respin'? There's a layout of transistors defined by the RDNA and Zen architectures. These can't really be arranged any differently, I don't think. Whatever MS has for its CUs and CCXs, Sony have also, same as on PC. The in-between and custom bits will be different, but these won't likely be the parts creating issues in power drawer.

The variable route doesn't to me sound like an ideal situation. You can never have more than the max clock speed but can now have less than the max clock speed. Just sounds like a recipe for an uneven experience for some users
PS5 ensures exactly the opposite. Everyone will have the same clock speeds at the same point in the game. If PS5 used variable clock speeds based on temperature, than yes, some PS5's would be faster than others. But Cerny explicitly mentioned that's not what they're doing. Explicitly! He used exactly the example of not wanting different performance based on different environments.

Where does "mostly happy" fit into that scale?
Or "nearly happy"?
"mostly" would be between "quite" and "happy", as most means more than 50% but less than 100%, and generally means a lot more than 50% in use.
"Nearly" is even closer to "happy" but still not there yet.

Thanks for that. So the distinction is more where on the scale it appears. We would do the scale Extremely unhappy < very unhappy = quite unhappy < unhappy < indifferent < happy < very happy = quite happy < extremely happy

We would do the scale Extremely unhappy < very unhappy = quite unhappy
It can be both in British English. "Oh yes, 380 runs not out. He was really quite good," being a posh understatement of an exceptional cricketer. The 'quite' may be emphasised. "He really was quite good."

In general use though, without intonation or context to suggest otherwise, it'll be 'an imcomplete measure of'. But yeah, in it's fullest extent you could have:

Extremely unhappy < very unhappy = quite unhappy < unhappy < quite unhappy < indifferent < quite happy < happy < very happy = quite happy < extremely happy ;)

It makes sense when you think of the English unemotional, stiff-upper-lip stereotype. Emotions are downplayed and understated. "Yes, he killed my mother and two children right in front of me. I was quite put out. Needed a stiff brandy to calm the nerves, what?"

Edit : The Brit extended edition:

Extremely unhappy < very unhappy = quite unhappy < unhappy < nearly unhappy < mostly unhappy < quite unhappy = somewhat unhappy < indifferent < quite happy = somewhat happy < mostly happy < nearly happy < happy < very happy = quite happy < extremely happy

And "rather happy" which is anything from quite to very. Honestly, you can't tell unless you hear the person say it. :mrgreen:

Back