No Man's Sky [PS4, PS5, XO, XBSX|S, PC, NX, XGP]

i don't like the fact that since VR release last august they did not bother making a PS4 pro upgrade for VR, it's exactly the same as PS4 VR, i stopped playing months ago because of that.
What?!

I suppose realistically that's a niche of a niche. You're looking at the Union set between PS4 Pro owners and PSVR owners. Likely a number to small to spend time on, or at least one would assume as much without evidence to the contrary. Adding VR might increase sales, but adding VR enhancements for PS4P owners likely won't - they'd buy it for the VR version with or without 4Pro enhancements.
The Pro is literally a PSVR machine: double the GPU to render double the viewports. That’s how I view it, anyway, and the reason why I upgraded to one (not that I’ve even used VR since...).

No VR Pro support is as bizarre as my having to force 1080p to even play NMS on a (late model) Pro. If I were on Twitter, I’d yell into The Cloud. Bah, I’m going to yell at a ten foot crab thing in space. Maybe when I’m done they’ll announce PS5 support and bonus Pro VR tomfoolery.

Last edited:
The Pro is literally a PSVR machine: double the GPU to render double the viewports. That’s how I view it, anyway, and the reason why I upgraded to one (not that I’ve even used VR since...).
But how many PSVR or PS4Pro owners feel that way? What proportion of PS4's are Pros, and what proportion of those have PSVR? Best case, 100%, 5 million PSVR's are on Pros. Crudely, assuming the 20% Pros was maintained since that first figure years ago (and I think that's optimistic as Sony have never provided updates), we'd have 20% of 5 million PSVR's, or 1 million are PSVR+4Pro.

Then, of that 1 million, how many are interested in NMS because of VR who haven't already bought it?

Then, of that number, how many won't buy NMS because the VR version doesn't make the most of their Pro?

As a dev, that's the number Hello Games will be considering. For the investment they could spend in creating a Pro VR version, what else could they spend that on with a larger audience and potentially better returns? I can't see an obvious business case for the investment. I think they'd be better off creating a PS5 version.

I get the ROI aspect, and even a long tail ends, but the game is aware of both PSVR and Pro, and supposedly you can switch between VR and flat by just turning your headset on and off. It seems like they’ve done the heavy lifting. I’d say it’s as simple as if(Pro) res=960x1080; but I don’t know what the Sony update process is like.

I can't see an obvious business case for the investment. I think they'd be better off creating a PS5 version.

Perhaps a PS5 patch, with PSVR compatibility, would be a sensible time to patch PS4Pro PSVR compatibility? If they can increase the resolution and draw distance on the PS4Pro, they can double the framerate and dial up some other settings too, just by virtue of the more than doubling of the PS4Pro's clockspeed.

I get the ROI aspect, and even a long tail ends, but the game is aware of both PSVR and Pro, and supposedly you can switch between VR and flat by just turning your headset on and off. It seems like they’ve done the heavy lifting. I’d say it’s as simple as if(Pro) res=960x1080; but I don’t know what the Sony update process is like.
Dunno. Is Sean Murray addressable on Twitter?

i basically bought a PS4 pro only for VR, has i still have a 1080p TV. And 99% of PSVR games are enhanced for Pro, some more than others, but still.
But here there is zero support, though it's a game that would really benefit from the double GPU power.

But

4) I’m not on Twitter.

:) And it doesn’t look like he replies to anyone publicly with that account. It’s mostly NMS updates and cool screenshots. They’re all working from home and crossplay and putting it on GamePass (speaking of ROI) must have taken up most of their time since the VR update.

It’s weird (kind interpretation) that it was in preview builds but it didn’t make the final cut. I’m sure we wouldn’t be the first ask him to class up their VR mode. I just have to hope they’ll come through with Pro VR support (maybe generalized up to PS5/PSVR2 by using a dynamic res), even if they don’t offer a free upgrade for PS5 users.

anyone managed to run this smoothly in VR?

It runs in like 10 frames per second on my PC. With low system utilization: GPU 30%, CPU 70%. Googling around, there are numerous "vr performance" workarounds, fix, and complains.

Ryzen 2600 @4.1GHz
GTX 1660 Super
32GB DDR4 @ 3066Mhz

To anyone with a PC VR headset, the game is now included in the xbox gamepass for PC.

I could play the game in my PS4 Pro with PSVR (which is where my savegames are at), but honestly this game on PSVR with the 960*1080 per-eye resolution can only be hard to play, as you can't really discern anything beyond some 8 meters away.
My super cheap Lenovo Explorer with 1440*1440 per eye on my PC should be substantially better for this game.

finally managed to make it run good enough in VR

60% render resolution
all graphics option to the left, except texture resolution (high) and tessellation (enhanced).

You should Tweet Murray then. I would except

1) I don't own a PSVR
2) I don't own a PS4 Pro and
3) I don't own NMS.

:mrgreen:
GTFO of this thread, then.

:love:
------
It's been months since I last played this game. Anything interesting, since the last update?

I'm still bothered by bugged main quests.

Last edited:
They should add KB&M support while they’re patching in glorious Pro VR support. I can’t aim the pea shooter for beans with the DS4. I hipe there’s a flamethrower waiting for me.

There’s a lot of control frustrations. L3+R3 to run is almost as annoying as having to hold X for everything and the weird (Japanese-like) excess button pushing requirements, like repairing a broken component or having to pick up or toss whatever junk is gumming every single abandoned console, green crate, and space capsule. (I had to drop Everybody’s Golf because of all the post-round button mashing. Even GT Sport is in on it.). The Back Button attachment is almost a requirement to stay sane.

The main bug I’ve experienced when resuming from sleep is a screwy viewpoint: my head being a few feet too high when shooting guns/lasers, or the cockpit view being a total mess of rectangles occluding most of the screen.

Back