General Next Generation Rumors and Discussions [Post GDC 2020]

breaking of NDAs. He is a principal engineer at roblox. If they have kits, they can’t say anything.

He also was Principal engineer on PS5 (not that it means breaking NDA is trivial then), he seems to push back against XSX numbers on twitter on multiple instances. Anyway, we will soon see stuff, even though it probably will not be soon enough for people on here.

120fps is a requirement for VR, right? So most likely is yes, when it comes to VR and no when it comes to none VR games/mode.

Yeah good point, I didn't consider VR. I that case, I care about >60fps too, although in my case that tops out at hitting 90fps.

Yeah, the HotChips presentation on Microsoft SeriesX will be interesting, but that's still a ways away.

He also was Principal engineer on PS5 (not that it means breaking NDA is trivial then), he seems to push back against XSX numbers on twitter on multiple instances. Anyway, we will soon see stuff, even though it probably will not be soon enough for people on here.
Indeed a dangerous game to play in his position since roblox should now have XSX kits.

Indeed a dangerous game to play in his position since roblox should now have XSX kits.

And he might not even work with XSX etc, so who knows. And he usually says not specific to a console/hardware but in general.

Last edited:
Not sure exactly where I saw this, as I was slumming it and going through social media/forums/reddit/youtube, but there was talks that Sony may possibly reveal the prices of PS5 on July 13th.

Any known Sony events for July 13th?

Not sure exactly where I saw this, as I was slumming it and going through social media/forums/reddit/youtube, but there was talks that Sony may possibly reveal the prices of PS5 on July 13th.

Any known Sony events for July 13th?
Retail release of Ghost of Tsushima is right around there. Either the same day or the day after

Sony has a lot of 3rd party stuff to reveal yet. Their big guns like 2020 COD, Battlefront, maybe FFVIIR part2 and some reboots. I expect something from Konami, either Silent Hill or MGS reboot which would be awesome.

Sony has a lot of 3rd party stuff to reveal yet. Their big guns like 2020 COD, Battlefront, maybe FFVIIR part2 and some reboots. I expect something from Konami, either Silent Hill or MGS reboot which would be awesome.

Before FF7 Remake part 2 some people said they will show FF16.

Last edited:
Just how big is Square Enix these days? Working simultaneously on at least 3 AAA titles "FFVII R Part 2, Project Athia, FF16" at their releasing speed? It's gonna be hard to tell which one would roll out first.

Just how big is Square Enix these days? Working simultaneously on at least 3 AAA titles "FFVII R Part 2, Project Athia, FF16" at their releasing speed? It's gonna be hard to tell which one would roll out first.
Square Enix has around 4,600 employees. It's not always immediately obviously but they have divisions dealing with video games, books, manga, anime, movies and magazines and arcade machines (they ate Taito). Don't forget they ate Eidos Interactive. They just eat other companies when they're hungry. I don't know how many video game teams developing for consoles but they obviously has a few.

Square Enix has around 4,600 employees. It's not always immediately obviously but they have divisions dealing with video games, books, manga, anime, movies and magazines and arcade machines (they ate Taito). Don't forget they ate Eidos Interactive. They just eat other companies when they're hungry. I don't know how many video game teams developing for consoles but they obviously has a few.
That is humongous! Yeah I keep forgetting they've acquired studios left and right too. Hope Remake Part 2 is next gen only tho, their latest Luminous engine looks pretty insane.

multiple people who work at sony that I know. I can ask about the revision. I was told yields are worse than they thought driving prices up. My sources in MS have said the opposite that their yields are better than what they thought they would be
How did Sony improve the terrible yield issues!!111??
The article says there may be shipment issues but no manufacturing issue so far.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...aystation-5-output-to-meet-virus-demand-surge
Sony Corp. is roughly doubling its PlayStation 5 production to 10 million units this year as it sees the prolonged effects of the Covid-19 pandemic boosting demand for gaming, according to people familiar with its plans.
Sony began PS5 mass production in June and, under the latest plan, expects to assemble 5 million units by the end of September and another 5 million between October and December. A large portion of the latter tranche would turn into stock for 2021 due to the logistical delay.

The article says there may be shipment issues but no manufacturing issue so far.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...aystation-5-output-to-meet-virus-demand-surge

they fixed it by shipping the largest console to date with an expensive cooling system and by increasing production of chips to make up for poor yields

csm_ps5_comparison_2_6_2ba48a6abc.png

Interesting different numbers but it seems Sony is boosting the number of PS5 produced too from a nikkei article here it is 9 millons

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Technology/Facebook-and-Sony-ramp-up-output-of-gaming-devices

EDIT: 9 millions shipped. Crazy

Last edited:
That is humongous! Yeah I keep forgetting they've acquired studios left and right too. Hope Remake Part 2 is next gen only tho, their latest Luminous engine looks pretty insane.

Remake Part 1 uses UE4. I doubt they would switch engine for Part 2 (other than UE5).

Back