Windows Mixed Reality brought back to life (active partnership with Valve?) - HP Reverb G2

On the reverb g2 website there is a comparison under weight for the rift-s it says " Weight not public " do they not have scales ?

You're never supposed to talk about weight...

But that is a very odd thing to not list, as far as specs go. Does amazon or other stores list the shipping weight?

was this posted ?

I have to agree with what he is saying in a lot of this. The resolution is amazing and the panel is pretty darn good. While yes the controllers are a lot better they are still lacking compared to the valve index controllers and i still feel the original oculus touch controllers were more conferrable .

This is a good headset if you can drive it and want something this year but like i said there is stuff coming next year from different companies that will be better

I see the Reverb 2 has side cams but I think it needed some firing upward too. It looks like there is still a hole in its field of view there.

The other issue is VR still doesn't really show signs of much growth in software library.

Last edited:
I see the Reverb 2 has side cams but I think it needed some firing upward too. It looks like there is still a hole in its field of view there.

The other issue is VR still doesn't really show signs of much growth in software library.

Software library is pretty subjective opinion. I find plenty of content to play and have fun in vr. My latest obsessions being table tennis 11 and zaccario pinball. So much fun. Half life alyx is the crown jewel, amazing game. And of course oldies and goldies like beat saber, super hot vr,... Vr videos be it adult entertainment or otherwise is also something else.

Tracking seems reasonable for inside out solution. Something like valve index+external sensors of course has better tracking but it's not a big deal in reality anymore.Many games get optimized so that the gaps in what cameras see doesn't become an issue. This optimization started to happen after oculus quest came out. Quest being one of the best selling headsets and using only inside out tracking.

Software library is pretty subjective opinion. I find plenty of content to play and have fun in vr. My latest obsessions being table tennis 11 and zaccario pinball. So much fun. Half life alyx is the crown jewel, amazing game. And of course oldies and goldies like beat saber, super hot vr,... Vr videos be it adult entertainment or otherwise is also something else.

I say this all the time but the crown jewel of vr is rec room. Free title with thousands of hours of play time across an ever expanding amount of content . But yes half life is amazing and shows what future aaa games can be
Tracking seems reasonable for inside out solution. Something like valve index+external sensors of course has better tracking but it's not a big deal in reality anymore.Many games get optimized so that the gaps in what cameras see doesn't become an issue. This optimization started to happen after oculus quest came out. Quest being one of the best selling headsets and using only inside out tracking.

I believe its going to come to the next valve headset and beyond. WMR is integrated into steam , light house tracking is in steam. If you want the best tracking it be both solutions , if you don't have lighthouses you'd use camera tracking.

I have to say I had the rift and moved to the index, light houses are a vast improvement over the external camera sensors. I had usb cables running around the living room. Now i just plug the light houses in and have fun. In fact my third light house is ran on a usb c battery pack

I say this all the time but the crown jewel of vr is rec room. Free title with thousands of hours of play time across an ever expanding amount of content . But yes half life is amazing and shows what future aaa games can be

Rec room is great! I place half life alyx over it because for people who don't know alyx looks and feels like real full triple a game. Rec Room doesn't look so great if one just checks youtube videos. But rec room is a blast, especially with friends.

edit. Another game I have been playing lately in vr is elite dangerous. It's a blast if one has a proper controller setup. I have thrustmaster t.16000m fcs hotas.

edit2. I suppose the mistake some people make is that vr would be replacement for all gaming. It's not and it's not meant to be. It's additional gaming awesomeness on top of regular games. To that extent, I don't always play vr games and I don't need to have a new awesome vr game every month.

Last edited:
I've been playing the Walking Dead game mostly out of boredom. It's a sort of immersive sim. But otherwise I hadn't used the Reverb in months.

I am still only about halfway thru Alyx.

Last edited:
Rec room is great! I place half life alyx over it because for people who don't know alyx looks and feels like real full triple a game. Rec Room doesn't look so great if one just checks youtube videos. But rec room is a blast, especially with friends.

edit. Another game I have been playing lately in vr is elite dangerous. It's a blast if one has a proper controller setup. I have thrustmaster t.16000m fcs hotas.

edit2. I suppose the mistake some people make is that vr would be replacement for all gaming. It's not and it's not meant to be. It's additional gaming awesomeness on top of regular games. To that extent, I don't always play vr games and I don't need to have a new awesome vr game every month.
Yea but rec room plays very well on almost all hardware and looks the same. It even looks pretty good on the quest. So its an easy way to get someone into vr without having to explain steam and the likes

I just got elite but my light houses aren't pointing towards my desk because everything i play is room scale. I could move my 3rd one since its on a battery. Wonder if i can play without having to reset the steam room stuff each time

I've been playing the Walking Dead game mostly out of boredom. It's a sort of immersive sim. But otherwise I hadn't used the Reverb in months.

I am still only about halfway thru Alyx.

Alyx is interesting in the sense that every chapter is quite different. There is almost no repeating same idea. Did you already meet Jeff,...

Reverb got a lot of criticism for tracking. Reverb g2 is not perfect but based on reviews it's a lot better(2cameras vs. 4). Oculus quest also has 4 cameras. Rift s has 5 cameras. I do notice quest doesn't track as well as my original rift with 3 external sensors. That said the tracking for me is close to good enough. Maybe 1 or 2 more cameras and higher sampling rate and potentially higher resolution would make it near perfect.

Alyx is interesting in the sense that every chapter is quite different. There is almost no repeating same idea. Did you already meet Jeff,...

Reverb got a lot of criticism for tracking. Reverb g2 is not perfect but based on reviews it's a lot better(2cameras vs. 4). Oculus quest also has 4 cameras. Rift s has 5 cameras. I do notice quest doesn't track as well as my original rift with 3 external sensors. That said the tracking for me is close to good enough. Maybe 1 or 2 more cameras and higher sampling rate and potentially higher resolution would make it near perfect.
Yeah I remember the Jeff chapter. It was pretty cool. I like how horror focused the game is and how there are reviews complaining about that. :)

The Reverb tracking is troublesome with most games. You need to keep your hands generally in front of you. It's a fairly low FOV with those 2 front cams. I feel like if these inside out schemes had front, side and top cams they could work very well. But could USB handle all that hardware....

Last edited:
You should really try a racing game in vr or flight/space sim
I suck at racing games. I am a good driver in real life but for some reason i can't drive at all in a game. I did play some vr flight game that came with my rift way back at launch

Did you try racing games with a pad?
that may be why you suck with a wheel you may be good, seriously forcefeedback wheels rock (so much so that i have 4 of them)

Did you try racing games with a pad?
that may be why you suck with a wheel you may be good, seriously forcefeedback wheels rock (so much so that i have 4 of them)
I've tried with a wheel and pedal. 5th ave had a really nice set up for forza that i've used

And did you still suck ?
Can only comment on forza horizon 4, but it's obvious to me it was designed to be played with a pad, wheel support isnt great

Here's the list of the bestselling titles on Steam for last week:
1. Valve Index VR Kit
2. Sea of Thieves
3. Halo: The Master Chief Collection
4. F1 2020
5. Satisfactory
6. Pre-purchase Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition
7. Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
8. DOOM Eternal
9. PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
10. Red Dead Redemption 2

Ive noticed valve index has topped the charts for a hell of a long time, I find this very hard to believe and I think they are massaging the figures to make the index appear more popular

Last edited:
like i said there is stuff coming next year from different companies that will be better
Are you sure about this?

The Oculus CV1 came to the market over 4 years ago, and in the meanwhile all we got were small iterative evolutions (or even side-grades like the Rift S). Ever since 2016 we've been told that we'd get "2.0" headsets that would be much better in many aspects within the next couple of years.
Well, 2018 went by, and so did 2019, and nothing is really that much netter than CV1. We're past mid 2020 and save for the Pimax models with questionable compatibility / stability / peripherals / support etc, we still don't have anything announced or even in a roadmap that we'd call a "VR headset 2.0".

At least with the Reverb we're getting a massive increase in resolution with controllers that match Oculus and Vive, and official support for WMR and SteamVR.

Are you sure about this?

The Oculus CV1 came to the market over 4 years ago, and in the meanwhile all we got were small iterative evolutions (or even side-grades like the Rift S). Ever since 2016 we've been told that we'd get "2.0" headsets that would be much better in many aspects within the next couple of years.
Well, 2018 went by, and so did 2019, and nothing is really that much netter than CV1. We're past mid 2020 and save for the Pimax models with questionable compatibility / stability / peripherals / support etc, we still don't have anything announced or even in a roadmap that we'd call a "VR headset 2.0".

At least with the Reverb we're getting a massive increase in resolution with controllers that match Oculus and Vive, and official support for WMR and SteamVR.

I've been blessed to have used new headsets from all the companies out there and some of them offer massive improvements over this headset.

For facebook they are more concerned about the Quest line up than anything else. I am expecting to see two new quests over the next 18months. One to replace the current one and one to go higher end. I am also expecting their rift s replacement next year. I've seen two headsets from them. One of them is very much on the forefront of vr the other is rift s 2.0. Which one we see if up to whatever they decide to do as I would wager your looking at a $1k+ headset with the higher end one. You have to remember the ones who wanted to push tech at oculus are gone. John is left wanting to solve software problems so there is no champion for high end headsets at oculus aside from abrash but he would hten have to justify a high end headset to facebook who care more about how many they are selling

Based on what I've seen Valve has a new headset for possibly 2021 but it might end up 2022 which will push things further out for them. For most index users it will be a headset replacement , for most vive users it will be a headset / controller replacement. It will improve on the short comings of the index and reverb 2 have.

MS has a slew of new headsets coming again for reasons that will become apparent next year i think. Lets just say they didn't add more cameras to wmr on a whim. They have been working on it for awhile and some newer tech. They have good synergy going on with the hololens team so expect shared tech between the two. Kinect azure is really interesting from a vr perspective but still to expensive for a headset price sub 1k

I'd also be interested in seeing what Samsung has in store. Their odyssey is due for an upgrade this holiday and they have some interesting screen technology. Who knows what will come out from them

The problem when I talk vague about what i've seen is that I'm not the one releasing these products so its hard for me to know if that headset I used is 6 months out or 2 years out. I got to try the reverb 2 earlier this year. I thought it was going to be a fall release. There is another headset I used around the same time that was very similar that I thought would be out by now. However since the reverb 2 is better in every single way i wonder if it was canceled or delayed. Dunno how much profit there would be for it under $600

Last edited:
Back