Formula 1 - 2020 Season

I disagree. Sometimes the repetition of an incident tell us that it was not really and accident and it tells us something else. For instance Vettel vs Leclerc last year when he already bumped into another driver in a similar way showed us that Vettel is really dangerous in a formula one car, particularly against his partner.

Twice Hamilton vs Albon tells me Hamilton is experienced enough to litteraly get rid of inexperienced drivers in a shitty way (with just one small penalty). When one could argue it wasn't actually deserved this time, it's the repetition of that incident that makes the penalty deserved.

It's like a red card in foot ball. 2 yellow cards = 1 red card.
Two incidents is hardly enough to show intention, I have no doubt Hamilton would have done the exact same thing no matter who's there, Bottas as a team mate aside maybe.

late edit: one point I haven't seen brought up here yet is that Hamilton might have actually saved Mercedes the victory with his move, Albon was really quick with his fresh softs

Last edited:
Alonso is back for the next year (Renault). Strange decision.

Not necessarily. Renault want/need a top driver and at the moment what is available is either Vettel (who some would argue hasn't looked that steady the last couple of seasons) or Alonso who, PR during his McLaren stint aside, has always performed pretty well with the machinery available. Plus he won his WDCs with Renault.

Alonso is 38 years old, almost 39. He left F1 for two years. And he won't drive for free, so if Renault will stay again behind expectations, it will be the last year of Renault in f1.

Alonso is 38 years old, almost 39. He left F1 for two years. And he won't drive for free, so if Renault will stay again behind expectations, it will be the last year of Renault in f1.
nah dont believe it. might be the end of cyril if they dont succeed but luca de meo, new ceo of renault is a racing fan and renault would be stupid to leave f1 before cost cap is introduced and the new aero in 2022

as for fernando, he's a tough cookie and hes still hungry
why else would he go back to the brickyard this year? why would he do the dreariest (imho) of racing (wec) and be champion twice?

As the BBC piece on accelerated Ferrari updates noted, this year is super interesting for car development, as the teams will have two races on the same track just a weekend apart (unlike Barcelona, months after pre-season) to really see if new parts do what they want. They don't have to factor in a new track and possibly different climate. Wonder if this helps other teams versus the development juggernaut that is Mercedes.

I like Ocon, but he's going against some serious talent in his early F1 career. Perez is a bit ruthless (all the way back to his McLaren days--I remember him dive-bombing a few people coming out of the tunnel at Monaco and Kimi having none of it and forcing a crash), I think Ricciardo's pretty great (with less teammate-on-teammate violence than Perez), and Alonso's gonna Alonso. I hope he shows he's as good as Danny and Fernie. Good luck to him.

Look at the corrections Vettel has to make under braking in lap 9. Yikes. My Italian is none, but the tweet says this isn’t an isolated case. Now we know why he locked up and spun in his T2 half move on Sainz. Would love to see a Leclerc onboard to see if he had the same problem under braking, or even better a video explaining why Leclerc’s different driving style handles this better.

Sorry, technically that’s T3. Having seen Seb’s spin again, it looks like an error of judgement not car feel. Sainz was following another car all the way on the left (driving line), but he chops across the corner trying to get under whoever he’s chasing rather than take the typical late apex on the outside of the whole corner. I think Seb thought Sainz would take the racing line letting him sneak up the inside, but then Sainz closed the door, leaving Seb with two bad choices: torpedo Sainz or risk a spin by cutting the corner to avoid him. Seems lucky he didn’t hit him.

To be fair, most overtakes at T3 seemed to be chucking it up the inside, so you could say Seb should have known Sainz could try for the inside. Maybe the guy ahead of Sainz locked up, forcing Sainz’s hand.

And Lando with a three spot grid penalty for passing cars under yellow flags in P1.

Last edited:
Looks like Italy and Russia are now included as racing sites this season. Russia indicates they will allow spectators.
Formula 1 has added two more races to its 2020 calendar as it seeks to rebuild the season during the coronavirus crisis.
Italy's Mugello will stage its debut Grand Prix on 13 September, with the Russian GP in Sochi on 27 September.

The two additions take the total number of races confirmed so far to 10.
F1 bosses are aiming to add further races within the coming days and are said still to be on target for a calendar of 15-18 races this year.

The Portimao track in Portugal, another venue new to F1, is expected to host a race after Russia.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/53362027

The 2020 F1 calendar - so far
COMPLETED: Austrian GP, Red Bull Ring
THIS WEEKEND: Styrian GP, Red Bull Ring
July 19: Hungarian GP, Budapest
August 2: British GP, Silverstone
August 9: 70th Anniversary GP, Silverstone
August 16: Spanish GP, Barcelona
August 30: Belgian GP, Spa-Francorchamps
September 6: Italian GP, Monza
September 13: Tuscan GP, Mugello
September 27: Russian GP, Sochi

Ferrari is realy piece of xxx this year.

Can you clarify so someone who doesnt follow that closely has better idea? Is it bad behavior driving on the course or bad behavior trying to cheat / bend the rules?

Its slow. Barely top 10.

Vettel and leclerc being so close together also shows it's the car and not one of their drivers. They might be in for a horrible two seasons.

Merc/Hamilton ways ahead of the rest again. It looked like Verstappen might be able to mount a challenge at the start but with a 1.6 sec difference in the end...

Good to see that the rest of the grid is mixed though. McLaren en Renault seem to be doing better.

Last edited:
Can you clarify so someone who doesnt follow that closely has better idea?
Q2:
10 Sebastian Vettel FERRARI 1:19.545
11 Charles Leclerc FERRARI 1:19.628
12 George Russell WILLIAMS MERCEDES 1:19.636

Williams is clearly much more competitive this year & it was pretty treacherous wet conditions -> a bit of a lottery but to have a Williams within 0.08s in Qualifying is pretty dire.
Not just the factory team either, all the Ferrari engined cars are under 10th in that quali.

My guy Kvyat not having a roaring start to the season, was looking good for maybe 8/9th in the first race with both the Alphatauris having stayed clean & gained as others dropped out but I think got the downside of double-stack stop & then had to fight hard to stay in top 10, had dropped out of points before rear suspension fail/puncture (possibly due to wing damage during position fighting).
But he was clearly the slower of the 2 & now thoroughly out-qualified by Gasly again, he'll need to have a very good race/stay clean in another attrition race to score points

Leclerc waited too long to put on a new set of wets at the end of Q2 and did his last few laps on them in harder rain, but still odd to see them fighting with Renault engine teams considering everyone fled Renault. A Williams making it into Q3 above both Ferraris might have been more outrageous and entertaining than the race last weekend. I wonder if engine manufacturers holding back full engine power is still a thing, and if Merc let Williams have full beans.

Strange to see Perez so far down. He’s known as good on his tires but I guess not as good in the wet? Button/Hamilton were/are known as good with both, so I just assumed the two came from the same driver skill (namely, modulating the loud pedal). I guess not? It’s also the weirdest of seasons so it’s maybe dangerous to read too much into things.

Not the Ferrari situation, though—that ruling really FXX’d their engine power.

I don’t know about bad behavior cheating. Everyone tries to bend the rules in F1. That’s the name of the game, finding a loophole or even skirting the regulations until/if you get caught. I’m pretty sure Mercedes were burning oil before Ferrari, but somehow Ferrari gets all the stick for it. Ferrari’s car went from a title challenger and arguably the best car on the grid a few years ago (sunk by poor team strategy and Seb overdriving and I guess you’d call Singapore bad luck?) to being poor aerodynamically last year with a really fast engine. This year, they lost what made their engine special and didn’t make enough of a step aerodynamically to compensate.

I don’t know what McLaren’s done, but if the Merc engine is still the best on the grid, next year could be really good for them...unless they suffer reliability problems integrating the new engine. They’ve had quite a few retirements the past two years, though I can’t remember if most were due to engine problems.

Leclerc was too eager in there, ruined not only Sebs race completely and Kimi's at least partly (had to come almost to full halt to avoid contact after Ferraris hit each other)

Back