Sony invests $250 million in Epic Games [2020-07-09]

Yes you can make changes. But Epic also integrates changes from other developers and also develops the engine on their own
Those changes will show up in the releases and source code, it's not like Epic is going to hide them.

It's a profitable investment provided Epic keeps going up in value.

The main investors should be happy with this. I'm sure that Cliff (who likely owns quite a few shares) is fairly ecstatic.

That's barely 1.5% of Epic's current estimated value... It's a nothinburger.. Cool for marketing though..

A marketing earmark is what it is. Also, LMAO at Linus. He calls out console war BS on the regular and yet seems to have learnt nothing....

Sweeney always has harbored an intense dislike for MS judging by his twitter feed over the years (while for example giving Apple a pass on the same business practices). Not all that surprising he'd partner with the other guy in the console space.

If the engine does everything they want, why swap to something else? All the reasons for wanting to use UE still exist. It's not like Sony's investment is going to make Epic crap up their engine on some particular hardwares!

Like i said multiple competitors now partially own the company that was already making a competing platform

Hellblade 2 720p sub 30 fps confirmed.
They don't have to actively sabotage the platform, they just have to concentrate the optimization on ps5, and release the equivalent for xbox just later, or simply spend more time and resources on technologies that leverage the ps5 strong points.

Sweeney always has harbored an intense dislike for MS judging by his twitter feed over the years (while for example giving Apple a pass on the same business practices). Not all that surprising he'd partner with the other guy in the console space.
Sweeney hates those who don't pay attention to him or don't pay him. This has literally been the case seen the 90s.he will talk trash about any company that doesn't pay him in some way or simply doesn't care about what he says/allows him to freely do whatever the fuck he wants..he despised all GPU manufacters back then and buddied up with Intel because they only really payed attention to Carmack... Once Carmack interest faded (when he started Armadilo) & Nvidia came with the money bags...the boy suddenly changed...

That's barely 1.5% of Epic's current estimated value... It's a nothinburger.. Cool for marketing though..

Depends on what valuation Sony and Epic have agreed upon as this was a private deal, there was no "offering".They also get the right to buy more shares if Epic does additional funding rounds, and they could make quite a lot of money if the company goes public. But I don't think that investment return is the only thing that has been taken into account.

edit: 1.4%

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweeney has been bitching a lot about closed ecosystems. If you go to his twitter there is good chunk of apple needs to open up their platform. Sweeney similarly got upset to MS for their store and possibly locking out third party stores similar to what mobile platforms already do. After MS stated there is no intention to close down windows sweeney was a happy camper.

There is many tweets from sweeney in relation to apple. This is one of them

Like i said multiple competitors now partially own the company that was already making a competing platform
So? MS need engines to make their games; what else are they going to use? Surely it makes more sense to partner with Epic (that doesn't requiring investing capital per se) than the alternatives. What would MS gain by going with a ground-up in house engine designed to scale from mobile to XBSX and above?

The fact competitors associated doesn't strike me as a negative. Hell, MS themselves are striking deals with the enemy!

What are the material negatives to using UE? I don't see any downside for MS.

Back