Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

sell your new games at half or 60% of physical price, and i may buy digitally, i will NEVER buy a digital game full price, that's theft.

I am very interested in how you come to this conclusion, ok theft I assume is just a bit of hyperbole.
But why should digital be cheaper than physical? Do you have the numbers that support that?

i can't see how a digital copy can cost as much as the physical one when you get a disc, a box, and all added manufacturing/transport costs associated with, and even with that, big retailers always sell big games for less than the full price we see on the PS store, because they can order tens of thousands of copies at launch.
Since i'm not a rich person, what could convince me to buy a game on the PS store at 69€ when the same physical game is available at a store near me for less than 60€ ?
And what's Sony reason to sell the digital game at such a high price ?
I could even go deeper and say that i could resell the game shortly after completion for like 30€ if it's a big seller.

i can't see how a digital copy can cost as much as the physical one when you get a disc, a box, and all added manufacturing/transport costs associated with, and even with that, big retailers always sell big games for less than the full price we see on the PS store, because they can order tens of thousands of copies at launch.
Since i'm not a rich person, what could convince me to buy a game on the PS store at 69€ when the same physical game is available at a store near me for less than 60€ ?
And what's Sony reason to sell the digital game at such a high price ?
I could even go deeper and say that i could resell the game shortly after completion for like 30€ if it's a big seller.

Most games sell the most at launch, so the big retailers might have some discounts for large bulk buys. But its also that they are willing to get less margin per unit to make sure they sell most of their stock. Having CoD2019 in stock or on the shelve for a year is basically money out the window. So they make a gamble, its their business modell.

I have no idea what a disc+box+distribution costs, but whatever it is, its not much per unit. The major costs are in development and advertising, but that does not hinge on it being physical or digital.

But if you want to go digital, there are some costs in there that might be higher per unit and other parts that are lower.

But cost you did not have to cover with physical, is infrastructure like datacenter hosting, bandwidth, storage, server hardware, maintenance of these servers etc, payment suppliers fees, CDN costs, storefront development/upkeep etc

Upside is you do not have to contend with stock rotation/return and the long tail is probably more profitable etc

And as Shifty said, its a free market business modell, its not like somebody is overcharging you for air. Its a voluntary opt-in, like it or not, the only reason Sony el al actually do this, is to make money.
This is where we as consumers vote with our wallets, we do not buy stuff that we think is overpriced, your challenge is that you feel the value you get for your money, is less than most other it seems, ref my earlier post about 80% of Capcom sales are digital.

I'm pretty sure that one of the selling points of the original XO vision was cheaper games due to it being digital.

Once it all changed, the prices never went lower either. It's been broken down a few times how much cheaper digital is, not including things like second hand games sales.
There's an obvious reason the studios and platform owners want to go digital and 90% of it is financial.

To be clear I'm not saying if its wrong or right to charge what they do, and I'm definitely not calling it theft. But can see why people would have such harsh view on it.

well in the end i never say they don't have the right to sell digital games at full price, i just said to my point of view it's not a good value so i will never buy a digital game full price.
And i won't try to convince anyone.
Thought i'm still sure it costs less to sell digital than physical. Even on PC stores digital games are less expensive.

well in the end i never say they don't have the right to sell digital games at full price, i just said to my point of view it's not a good value so i will never buy a digital game full price.
And i won't try to convince anyone.
Thought i'm still sure it costs less to sell digital than physical. Even on PC stores digital games are less expensive.

The retailers who sell physical copies of games would very much like to not be undercut by their suppliers and would probably not carry products from companies who consistently did so.

I'm not naive enough to think that if physical didn't exist that digital would automatically be cheaper, but there is some pressure for price parity despite the lower cost/greater profit afforded by digital.

well in the end i never say they don't have the right to sell digital games at full price...
Your choice of words called it theft. ;) So yeah, you did imply that. What you're really saying is you think it's a rip-off and won't ever be caught paying the same for digital as for physical.

Your choice of words called it theft. ;) So yeah, you did imply that. What you're really saying is you think it's a rip-off and won't ever be caught paying the same for digital as for physical.

yeah i did some franglish, in France when something is considered too expensive we say "c'est du vol" but that does not mean we think it's an illegal thing. My appologies.

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/07/09/first-look-box-art-for-upcoming-ps5-games/

PS5 box game

50094555187_229b0fd4f1_h.jpg
Couldn’t they move the rating board logo and/or “requires/supports PSVR/Move/whatever” logos onto that huge wasted expanse of white space? Not that it matters because we’re all going digital but ugly is ugly.

Speaking of ugly, as long as we’re all going digital, maybe Sony can do something about the dumpster fire that is their store pages. I need to see original/disc and current version installed file sizes (Modern Warfare is listed as 64GB, Gran Turismo Sport as 42GB, even GTS Spec II and its two years of updates is “42GB”—can you even download just the 1.0 release with a digital copy? Is there a separate update to cancel?), and I need useful descriptions and maybe clear iconography at the top of the page rather than text at the bottom of their description blob for # of players, VR, online required, etc..

Edit: Tetraminos has a listed minimum save file size that’s bigger than the game itself.

MrFox, I appreciate their system (maybe best demonstrated by a VR title), it just seems wasteful that the majority of the header, if you will, is blank except for the rare occasion it says, “Only on Playstation.” Petty, I know, especially as we’re all going digital anyway. ;)

Last edited:
Couldn’t they move the rating board logo and/or “requires/supports PSVR/Move/whatever” logos onto that huge wasted expanse of white space?
There's nothing different here, it's been like this for over a decade.

Top Left is the console brand and generation.

Top Right is reserved for flags about enhancement, peripheral support, etc...

Bottom Left, the ESRB requires the rating to be placed there.

Bottom Center and Right area is always studio and/or distributor logo.

Back