Xbox Series S [XBSS] (Lockhart) General Rumors and Speculation *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was talk of a xbox trade in program where you could trade in your physical for a digital license.
It was when word of the xbox sad came out.
Shame it never happened.
It was definitely a thing though.

Maybe after the sad they may not think its necessary now though, who knows.

Guess it's possible for next gen, but I wonder what the logistics for something like that would be like.

Well there's no possibility of this being handled by Microsoft Retail Stores ... I'd have made an outing to drive the ~ 40 minutes to do just that, gather up all my Original Xbox and X360 game discs to trade in for digital licenses.

Well there's no possibility of this being handled by Microsoft Retail Stores ... I'd have made an outing to drive the ~ 40 minutes to do just that, gather up all my Original Xbox and X360 game discs to trade in for digital licenses.
yea that idea is out the window now that MS closed up shops.

[.
yea that idea is out the window now that MS closed up shops.

Best Buy has just signed into the All Acces program. Given that they’ve turned themselves into a showrooming mini mall, how unlikely is it that MS is having them move in, and possibly doing repairs as well. The only thing they’d have a bit of a challenge with is disc drive replacements since it requires soldering, but it’s not hard to learn.

The digital trade in was absolutely a thing. Microsoft planned to integrate the POS at GameStop, Walmart, ans Best Buy, as well as Ebay and Amazon so they could sell store credit and games directly into your account. Selling games was what the 24 hour checkin was for. Can’t have you pulling the plug and selling a game.

No reason Best Buy stores can’t do this, they already have the backbone from their own Trade system. Not saying it is happening this time, but I heard about gamepass about five years before it launched. I know at least some people at MS haven’t given up on it.

It's from a Brad Sams article. Originally E3 reveal for both consoles. XSX launch in late Aug and Lockhart in mid-October.

https://www.thurrott.com/games/xbox/237240/the-latest-on-lockhart

I don't understand why they were considering a gap between the two. Maybe now they both split the difference and launch together in Sept. :D

These smell like getting really desperate. Even one of them (Sams, Warren, I forget, one of the big MS reporters) retconned some nonsense about originally XSX was supposed to come out in August, to explain away why XSX was revealed last December and Lockhart still hasn't been IMO, essentially. Never mind that Ms said next gen was coming on holiday in June of last year...so that was false.

We were originally supposed to get a June lockhart reveal according to the insiders, remember that? After the Sony event. Nope. That quietly went by the wayside when it did not happen.

Everybody seems to agree it wont be at July 23.

I remain skeptical. If it does come, or if it's this year.

I would assume assembly line leaks would happen well before September. But then again I havent seen any yet this year.

Last edited:
Yea I’ve no idea either. There’s going to be a huge gap at this rate. Thing is; they already sent the message to retailers that it’s discontinued. Like; buying out of stock items, it may take over a month to come back and arrive. But this is discontinued; so I’m surprised by seeing nearly all SKUs except 1 to be discontinued 3 months or so before next gen release.

If someone’s Xbox breaks between now and then; going to be a hard time for them.

I haven't seen any Switch, PS4, or Xbox Console in stores in ages. If not online as well.

I'm not sure you'd really know how anything was discontinued...

For Amazon, they write discontinue on minor SKU's all the time on there AFAIK.

Also, all those that say discontinued are no game options. As a practical matter, those are not any major portion of sales I'd assume. Everything is bundles, Jedi FO bundle etc.

July seems way too early to drop the prior gen, shrug. Especially if as me you dont think Lockhart is a thing.

We were originally supposed to get a June lockhart reveal according to the insiders, remember that? After the Sony event. Nope. That quietly went by the wayside when it did not happen.
Plans change. You may recall Sony stated back in January that not only would they not be at E3 but that they would not do anything around that period either. And yet five months later Sony do a PS5 game reveal event at the time E3 would have taken place which is a complete reversal without any insiders involved. Sony's plans simply changed.

Insiders can only share what they know or believe to be the case at the time. They have no control over whether Microsoft or Sony will pivot their timetable and if they do, the insider may not be aware. That's how leaks work :yep2:. Not everybody inside Microsoft or Sony knows all the plans. I bet a lot of leaks come from careless water-cooler talk and far fewer people are at those water-coolers now.

Plans change. You may recall Sony stated back in January that not only would they not be at E3 but that they would not do anything around that period either. And yet five months later Sony do a PS5 game reveal event at the time E3 would have taken place which is a complete reversal without any insiders involved. Sony's plans simply changed.

Insiders can only share what they know or believe to be the case at the time. They have no control over whether Microsoft or Sony will pivot their timetable and if they do, the insider may not be aware. That's how leaks work :yep2:. Not everybody inside Microsoft or Sony knows all the plans. I bet a lot of leaks come from careless water-cooler talk and far fewer people are at those water-coolers now.

There was no way Sony wasn't going to something in June or July. Zero way. I didn't need an insider to tell me that.

RE Lockhart and missing June event, I believe the point stands.

One S continuing is maybe not great news for Lockhart price or release date. Or the X1S will become super cheap, which is fine.

I don’t think they can sell a 1080p console for more than $299. $249 seems more likely to me.

If they continue to sell the One S (bad idea with a Series S IMO), I think it needs to be $149 or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back