Xbox Series S [XBSS] (Lockhart) General Rumors and Speculation *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://gamerant.com/resident-evil-village-8-xbox-lockhart-digital-series-x/

So Lockhart is a XSX Digital?
image.php

It won't be confusing when there are no Xbox One, XBox One S, or XBox One X available to buy. They will only exist on the secondary and used markets. All you will have at retail stores and new are Xbox Series X and possibly whatever they name LockHart.

Also, it's not a bad thing to just call it Xbox when it will play Original Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and the newest Xbox Series games.
Yea...
You can only buy the cyberpunk X1X. All others are now discontinued.

this is... deliberate. I don’t recall this type of behaviour prior to next gen launch. But usually after.

so they are clearing. We could get an announcement sooner that expected here.

Yea...
You can only buy the cyberpunk X1X. All others are now discontinued.

this is... deliberate. I don’t recall this type of behaviour prior to next gen launch. But usually after.

so they are clearing. We could get an announcement sooner that expected here.

I think it's been touched upon on in the thread before, but demand for Q2 probably looked very different to how they expected due to lockdown. Back when they placed their last S orders I bet they were happily looking at a stock projection that carried them nicely through to October (assuming the October Lockhart launch quoted in Venturebeat was indeed the original plan).

It does create an odd gap. Is it better marketing to announce now and build anticipation now or be all secret and surprising? I've no idea.

Edit: To add, I'm suspect that they upgraded the S/X production line to XSX/Lockhart, so there was no going back when consoles were selling better than planned.

I think it's been touched upon on in the thread before, but demand for Q2 probably looked very different to how they expected due to lockdown. Back when they placed their last S orders I bet they were happily looking at a stock projection that carried them nicely through to October (assuming the October Lockhart launch quoted in Venturebeat was indeed the original plan).

It does create an odd gap. Is it better marketing to announce now and build anticipation now or be all secret and surprising? I've no idea.

Edit: To add, I'm suspect that they upgraded the S/X production line to XSX/Lockhart, so there was no going back when consoles were selling better than planned.
Yea I’ve no idea either. There’s going to be a huge gap at this rate. Thing is; they already sent the message to retailers that it’s discontinued. Like; buying out of stock items, it may take over a month to come back and arrive. But this is discontinued; so I’m surprised by seeing nearly all SKUs except 1 to be discontinued 3 months or so before next gen release.

If someone’s Xbox breaks between now and then; going to be a hard time for them.

Ah, should have clicked through. Not sure it's much different. Capcom can't really announce Lockhart, name and all.
Its the wording, xsx digital implys it's the same but without OD, like the PS5.
Where we know Lockhart isn't that.

Anyway, as you say not like they can announce it, but it makes the poll in that regards invalid.
Unless there is an xsx DD version also.

They should have just made the poll "In the next year, Would you buy a digital-only next-gen console?"
  1. Not buying next-gen.
  2. Yes.
  3. No, buying one with disc

They should have just made the poll "In the next year, Would you buy a digital-only next-gen console?"
  1. Not buying next-gen.
  2. Yes.
  3. No, buying one with disc

IMHO buying the disc version doesn't even imply not buying digital games. I would get the disc version just to add another cheap bluray player option and potentially have access to my 360 game collection. If MS/studios would give gamers a digital license after inserting the disc once for that 10+ years old stuff it would be "nice".

99% of my XB1 collection is digital.

IMHO buying the disc version doesn't even imply not buying digital games. I would get the disc version just to add another cheap bluray player option and potentially have access to my 360 game collection. If MS/studios would give gamers a digital license after inserting the disc once for that 10+ years old stuff it would be "nice".

99% of my XB1 collection is digital.

So you're saying use some physically unique portion of the media where the license is tied to only one gamer profile and their home console? Trouble becomes how to prevent multiple simultaneous redemptions. Only way that works is through trade-in kiosks or retail stores that are prohibited from reselling the disc.

So you're saying ause some physically unique portion of the media where the license is tied to only one gamer profile and their home console? Trouble becomes how to prevent multiple simultaneous redemptions. Only way that works is through trade-in kiosks or retail stores that are prohibited from reselling the disc.
Mail-in recycling would be awesome!

Yup I bet that is pretty much what happened. The stock was pre-planned before covid to last until new the consoles are released....but with more people at home than usual all video game related products were getting a major boost in sales and they ran out faster than anticipated.

I wonder if this could shift the launch dates of the new Xbox consoles to slightly earlier?..

I wonder if this could shift the launch dates of the new Xbox consoles to slightly earlier?..

No. The pandemic already impacted their plans of releasing Series X earlier, like in the August-September range. It possibly even pushed back any potential Lockhart retail model until next year. The Series X should still hit the typical October-November range. At least that's what I've been hearing.

No. The pandemic already impacted their plans of releasing Series X earlier, like in the August-September range. It possibly even pushed back any potential Lockhart retail model until next year. The Series X should still hit the typical October-November range. At least that's what I've been hearing.

Their original plan was to release it in August-September timeframe? Never heard that...

So you're saying use some physically unique portion of the media where the license is tied to only one gamer profile and their home console? Trouble becomes how to prevent multiple simultaneous redemptions. Only way that works is through trade-in kiosks or retail stores that are prohibited from reselling the disc.

Yes. Does potential abuse of ancient 360 dvds really "matter" financially? IMHO MS could probably cover this with game pass if there is a real financial impact(which I seriously doubt).

IMHO they just hope to cash in twice with people buying digital licenses for games they already own.

To add to this thought.

I think it would be an absolute killer feature if MS would offer some extra game pass feature to allow supported old PS4's digital content bought before a certain date to be valid for XSX customers to make switching attractive.

I'm not sure about the technical side but I assume if you link your PS account to "something" there is a way to retrieve legit licenses either directly or with the help of game companies themselves.

With game pass it could be a financial incentive for game companies to support this. I doubt there is a huge market of people which buy the same game twice for both consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back