Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

So the people who e.g. changed their e-mails or suffered identity theft attempts are automatically asshats to you.

Good to know.

Clearly if it's not your fault I wouldn't say you're an asshat. Maybe Sony & the thieves are? BTW, I've changed my email address on Xbox before with no repercussions.

Tommy

To be clear, even if the Svelte is the same price as the Bulge, you're choosing Svelte for aesthetic reasons?

If they have the same price I will go with Svelte. If its like $50 more than Bulge, I would go i with Bulge, with that amount of money I can get an extra controller most likely.
And I am not choosing the Svelte for aesthetic reasons, I have no use for the OD and its one more thing might break or mess up my future PS5.
I have been digital purchase only even before all games was available as digital download on the PS3. I stopped buying discs, to me its just more convenient with digital downloads than with discs. To me the extra cost of being digital only, game prices etc, is worth the price of not having to get up from the couch and change discs when I want to play something :D

See, I'm not even concerned about the picking things up in the background or any of that perceived data collection. That's so off my radar.

It's more about all the people who don't know or simply don't care that they have a live MIC. While you're trying to game you hear their background music or their comments to friends playing through their MIC. Statistically very rarely have I found random gamers who know how to use their MIC for the betterment of the team game. In some games it's easy to mute them, but in others its more difficult to do.

The DE should be marginally cheaper, but where Sony can eat a bigger loss is because they know the DE owners will mostly be buying from PSN (and no GameStop, Amazon, Walmart etc) so will be taking the retailer cut of a larger number of games. Drive-less consoles are a boon for Microsoft and Sony because it rules out buying cheap games and second-hand games which do not benefit the platform holder.

But my point is why is it marginally cheaper? People who buy at launch are not that price sensitive and I would suggest are more likely to buy digitally and embrace all the new games. Conversely those who are price sensitive will want the ability to play cheaper disk games and their old games.

Just a thought. Personally I’d be tempted to pay more for a bigger SSD.

So does the digital copy. Positives & negatives for both.

Tommy McClain

One list is more positive than the other, essentially those who have the income and don’t care about buying 2 copies of a game if they want a CE (ie rich folk) love it. But for a lot of people they buy the game play it and sell it on. Digital needs to add that ability in some way and also start selling CEs with codes instead of disk lol

I understand what you're saying but I just don't believe the the DE will appeal purely on the merit of it being thinner. I think the DE version wholly exists to crack what will be a sizeable cost nut and the way Sony can subsidise the DE version is by giving consumers less options on where to buy games, meaning more come through them where they take the retailer cut.

We'll know soon enough but I'm expecting a price difference in the region of $100 even though the actual BOM difference will be lower.

As I say above, are people stupid enough to save a small amount now to pay a lot more over the next 5+years? If they are price sensitive to £50 difference (which is essentially one game) are they going to be buying at launch? Do they not realise that after 2 game purchases they will be losing money hand over fist?

One very niche but neat thing with disc copies is you can play the 1.0 (nowadays it's a generous 0.9) release by blocking updates, which may offer different technical aspects (uncapped frame rates) or, in the case of radically overhauled games like No Man's Sky, even somewhat different experiences.

As I say above, are people stupid enough to save a small amount now to pay a lot more over the next 5+years? If they are price sensitive to £50 difference (which is essentially one game) are they going to be buying at launch? Do they not realise that after 2 game purchases they will be losing money hand over fist?
You know the experiment where a kid is offered one marshmallow now or two later? Think of adults as kids with more spending power. Logic doesn't necessarily factor into the equation (assuming everyone knows what an equation is...). Now, if you'll excuse me, I want a cookie.

Only 50 $ and very few people will take the digital only IMHO. I think a minimal 100 $ difference will be there. Also PS5 digital only is going to compete with XSS (if Sony doesnt release a cheap PS4pro@7nm diskless).... I'm more oriented in 120 $ difference... 380 $ vs 500 $...

I'm also expecting bigger difference than $50, question is what will Sony do, they can certainly afford to sell digital only PS5 with bigger loss since they will make more money on games sold through PS Store.

But my point is why is it marginally cheaper? People who buy at launch are not that price sensitive and I would suggest are more likely to buy digitally and embrace all the new games. Conversely those who are price sensitive will want the ability to play cheaper disk games and their old games.
People buying at launch are less price sensitive; many more people can afford $400 than $500, PlayStation 5 is going to cost an arm and a leg and there is a global economics crisis. Sony would be foolish to assume that the launch appetite that existed for PlayStation 4 in 2013 will still be there for PlayStation 5 in COVID-19 2020. There are many, many more important things to to spend money on right now, let alone just before Christmas.

You know the experiment where a kid is offered one marshmallow now or two later? Think of adults as kids with more spending power. Logic doesn't necessarily factor into the equation (assuming everyone knows what an equation is...). Now, if you'll excuse me, I want a cookie.

but you can have 2 later...

People buying at launch are less price sensitive; many more people can afford $400 than $500, PlayStation 5 is going to cost an arm and a leg and there is a global economics crisis. Sony would be foolish to assume that the launch appetite that existed for PlayStation 4 in 2013 will still be there for PlayStation 5 in COVID-19 2020. There are many, many more important things to to spend money on right now, let alone just before Christmas.

But that doesn’t answer my question/view.

If you’re price sensitive your (potential) options are;

1) £500 + 45 for each game you can sell later so real cost 30
2) £450 + 60 for each game you can’t sell

5 games later option one costs £650 vs option 2 at £750 which will get a heck of a lot worse, this is after just 5 games!

Price sensitive people are not idiots.

Just to add, this is not the same as something like buying in credit - people may pay interest on something expensive, so buy a £1000 TV and pay £100 a month for 12 months - that’s about cash flow.

Here you have a big outlay, where saving a reasonable amount will cost you a lot in the long run, reminds me of the X360 core - a total false economy.

5 games later option one costs £650 vs option 2 at £750 which will get a heck of a lot worse, this is after just 5 games!

By only sticking to 5 games you missed the tipping point where you need to buy more shelf space. :)

Or game share with 1 person and both of you can play AAA games at launch with only paying 30 dollars each

Maybe a thread for is gaming expensive hobby thread would be good? Would keep all the unruly price discussion out of other threads? How much are people really putting yearly into games that they play more than half way through? Let's not count the discount games that nobody actually plays(horders).

I have spent this year something like 400$ to steam. Biggest costs being vampire bloodlines2(preorder), cyberpunk2077(preorder), zaccaria pinball, half life alyx and then some small cheap games that I bought and will be unlikely to play. Vampire or cyberpunk or possibly even both I might not play until they have received good amount of patches(sometime 2021). If I count only the games I will play this year for more than 50% then my spending is probably around 250$.

Is 250$ sunk into digital content that bad? It feels like really cheap hobby. Especially if one divides fun time with money used. My other hobbies eat much more money. Or even just going out into a bar++ drinking, eating, uber,... for one night easily is that 250$ and only end result is headache and being tired and nothing to show for it.

So is the discussion about game prices a whole lot of nothing in real life? Or is there subset of gamers who really have such budget that game prices is an issue? And if someone really buys a ton of games and has time to play all of them how are you managing that? At least I don't have the time nor the interest to loose sleep over games to game more.

Conversely those who are price sensitive will want the ability to play cheaper disk games and their old games.

Subcriptions with all you can watch or play is taking over rental & used markets. Why bother getting a physical thing when you can pay a low monthly rate & watch or play hundreds of movies or games? You don't even have to bother with going to a store to buy or sell it back? I'm very price sensitive & I haven't been to a used game store since I bought the XB1. All my games are digital & I'm playing more games with Game Pass than I ever did when I was buying all used discs.

One list is more positive than the other, essentially those who have the income and don’t care about buying 2 copies of a game if they want a CE (ie rich folk) love it. But for a lot of people they buy the game play it and sell it on. Digital needs to add that ability in some way and also start selling CEs with codes instead of disk lol

Depends on your point of view, which was my point. To you physical is more positive. To somebody else digital is more positive. Personally I would rather have the ability to trade or sell my digitally owned games than get a digital code for a antiquated disc game. I will never buy another disc game.

Tommy McClain

Last edited:

I buy digital because of its benefits.

1) No more having to go to a store and hope they have it. Yes even with preorders I have gone to a store that I reserved the game at and they didn't have copies. I save time and money by doing this
2) I can buy a game at any time. If its midnight and I want to play a new game i can just buy and download and start playing. Here in the states I most likely need to buy between 10am and 9pm. In my area I can't buy games at retail on Sunday i have to drive to another county like 20-30 minutes away to buy on a sunday
3) Storage space I used to have thousands of dvds and then I ripped them all and I have 2 8 TB hard drives in a raid with the data on them. They now sit in my attic. I used to have 4 pieces of furniture devoted to them. MY gaming was just as bad through the xbox 360. I had a piece of furniture just for my disc based video games.
4) not having to switch discs. When i had a console i enjoyed sitting on my couch and being able to pick what game i wanted with out having to get up find the game case and swap games each time i wanted to change the game I am playing
5) not having to deal with getting ripped off or fraud when selling the game

To me the extra money is worth it not to deal with any of this. With game pass I get access to a lot of games for a low price and if i really like the games i can purchase them on discount. EA has EA access and i am sure other companies will move to subscriptions

Back