Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Its a choice you have, go OD or no OD. And its yours, its not something Sony can force you to do until they discontinue one of the models.
For Sony it is important to understand their market and why you choose one or the other. But to me, I could not careless what any of you decide upon.
I am going with the one with no OD, since the OD in my PS4 has been barely used. I think I watched 1 movie and I tried Killzone Shadowfall which was bundled with my PS4.
All other games have been bought digitally.

after the hardware reveal I got a bit weary of the dynamic frequencies approach

For what reason? As an end consumer you won't notice anything of that.

I wouldn't actually mind paying somewhat more for the discless version as the disc based one looks very ugly with the 'backpack' of a drive it has. The only disc based game ive owned for the entire generation is last of us 2, but that was just to pass it on to a family member.

On the other hand, many would feel that their paying more for less with the discless version as disc based games are actually cheaper in some countries (not here though).

Until you get a scratch. Or lose the disc.

With same rules:

Lose password/account = lose all games.

Blurays are difficult to scratch.

So if gamer mistreats their discs or loses em, they are just not respecting their stuff.

I havent lost or scratch my games yet, just treat them with care.

But i guess there are also those short tempered cave men whom smash their controller when they cant handle their feelings like adults, or use way too much force when gaming and then cry how controllers break.

But they should pay for their wrong behaviour, same with people whom break their discs

Its a choice you have, go OD or no OD. And its yours, its not something Sony can force you to do until they discontinue one of the models.
For Sony it is important to understand their market and why you choose one or the other. But to me, I could not careless what any of you decide upon.
I am going with the one with no OD, since the OD in my PS4 has been barely used. I think I watched 1 movie and I tried Killzone Shadowfall which was bundled with my PS4.
All other games have been bought digitally.
To be clear, even if the Svelte is the same price as the Bulge, you're choosing Svelte for aesthetic reasons?

So does the digital copy. Positives & negatives for both.
However, that's immaterial to the choice of PS5 as both fully support digital titles.

In fact, if you use a disc, do you require the disc to play the game? If so, that's also a disadvantage (which doesn't affect the choice of SKU for the above mentioned reason).

Although true, I also don't think they have to discount the DD only console. I don't think it's an unwanted device that can only be moved if it's heavily discounted vrsus the Bulge. A proportion of PS4 owners don't buy disks any more and don't care for a disk-capable console, so the Bulge-free version can sell to these people priced accordingly to aesthetic. That is, if people find the bulge ugly, PS5Svelte can be priced the same as PS5Bulge and sold the DD only users with a nicer mark-up. But if people don't care about the bulge, they'll choose it over Svelte as it's better functionality for the same price. At which point, Svelte will need to be priced cheaper than Bulge enough to swing people to the more lucrative SKU.
I understand what you're saying but I just don't believe the the DE will appeal purely on the merit of it being thinner. I think the DE version wholly exists to crack what will be a sizeable cost nut and the way Sony can subsidise the DE version is by giving consumers less options on where to buy games, meaning more come through them where they take the retailer cut.

We'll know soon enough but I'm expecting a price difference in the region of $100 even though the actual BOM difference will be lower.

We'll know soon enough but I'm expecting a price difference in the region of $100 even though the actual BOM difference will be lower.
Possibly. That'd certainly push the Svelte. I'm expecting a $50 difference myself. I think that'll be a sizeable chunk of change enough to promote the DD SKU
and keep the profit margins up for Sony. I don't think they have to price $100 cheaper to move it.

Lose password/account = lose all games.

It's not just losing the password that can happen.

When we buy digital versions of games, they're tied to a Xbox Live or PSN account. Both of those are communities with community guidelines that, if you fail to comply with, you lose access to your digital account.

This means if I enter some stupid banter in some multiplayer game and cross some (very poorly defined) line, Xbox or Sony will suspend or ban my digital account.
Suspending my account means I lose access to my digital library. So if I lose my mind in the heat of the moment during e.g. a Battlefield multiplayer session and tell some dude to go fuck himself, and then get reported, I'll be stopped from playing any of the digital games I paid for. This extends even to the strictly single player games like e.g. Metro or Dishonored, except only for the games already installed in the console.

The catastrophic effects of being banned from PSN

The logic is if your account is suspended then you lose access to all online services, and downloading games is an online service, so no more games at all.

And it's not only through bad behavior that people lose access to accounts. Spontaneous account suspensions seem to happen sometimes, when people change their e-mail in the case of PSN. In both systems, suspicion of identity theft will also result in us losing all access to the digital services and communication to Microsoft or Sony to solve this problem is always very difficult and slow.
It's the same with Steam BTW. Banned accounts lose access to the games they paid for.

Regardless, there are risks to going all-digital and I don't think people understand those well enough.

For what reason? As an end consumer you won't notice anything of that.

I wouldn't actually mind paying somewhat more for the discless version as the disc based one looks very ugly with the 'backpack' of a drive it has. The only disc based game ive owned for the entire generation is last of us 2, but that was just to pass it on to a family member.

On the other hand, many would feel that their paying more for less with the discless version as disc based games are actually cheaper in some countries (not here though).

Because it remains to be seen what the end result will actually be.

Possibly. That'd certainly push the Svelte. I'm expecting a $50 difference myself. I think that'll be a sizeable chunk of change enough to promote the DD SKU
and keep the profit margins up for Sony. I don't think they have to price $100 cheaper to move it.
Only 50 $ and very few people will take the digital only IMHO. I think a minimal 100 $ difference will be there. Also PS5 digital only is going to compete with XSS (if Sony doesnt release a cheap PS4pro@7nm diskless).... I'm more oriented in 120 $ difference... 380 $ vs 500 $...

Digital is easy: don't be an asshat.

BTW, if you're account is banned from Xbox Live(not sure of PSN) you still lose access to your GamerTag/achievements/friends etc & can't even play disc games unless you're offline. And you won't even be able to update the game. Also, some bans are for the console. That means no games(disk or digital) would be playable online or get updated either. In other words, it's bricked.

Basically, if you're not an asshat, then digital is fine. But you also still have to worry about being banned(account or console) even if you only play disc games. So, don't be an asshat no matter what games you play and you won't have worry about losing them.

Tommy McClain

All the more reason to never play with a microphone unless you're in a party with your friends. :LOL:

I wonder how many new accidental bans happen on PS5 because they now have a MIC built into every controller and the players don't realize it or haven't made certain it's not enabled.

That could potentially be a problem depending on how much listening in is done. I doubt there's a setting for separate mic enablement in games and OS - that's the sort of oversight interface designers screw up on and only fix three+ years into the product.

Back