Portable PS5? *spawn*

Sony leaked the portable PS5 design in Death Stranding
giphy.gif

it seems that info on a Playstation Vita 2 has been leaked according to youtuber Moore's Law Is Dead. And it could provide the same performance as the PS4, making it backwards compatible with the entire PS4 library.

So first I want to say that there was much debate in this thread over what turned out to be Lockhart.

And second, the portable with PS4 BC makes a ton of sense, but downgrading PS5 games via patches seems like something that very few studios would do for their PS5-only games.

PS4 BC means one can still play Minecraft, Genshin, new CODs, Fortenight, latest Fifa madden, and new Sony first party games.

Even by 2025, 90% of all games across PS5 and PS4 would still run on PS4.

Yeah, supporting the PS4 library makes sense so unlike PSP and Vita, there wouldn't be issues with separate libraries and a lack of developer support. PS5 title support is unnecessary and a portable PS5 would need be more expensive than a portable PS4 - PS4 portable hits a mainstream pricepoint. Perhaps a necessary move to keep PS hyper relevant in Japan?

I'm not sold on the leak/rumour, but I'd love a Vita 2. The PS5's architecture, but 18-20CU's at 800MHz and a 1.6GHz CPU seems incredibly doable at 5nm. Any game that would run on it, would run on the PS5 at double the framerate and resolution with minimal effort from devs. Heck, gimp the SoC's and create/expose functionality in the right ways, and any networked multiplayer "Vita 2" game can automatically become local multiplayer on the PS5.

But given the existence of the Portal, maybe a microconsole form factor and direct streaming would make more sense. They could save the cost of a screen, battery, and even supply chain faffing by shipping with a DualSense. A couple of USB-C ports would provide ample connectivity for docks/battery packs etc.

Moore's Law Is Dead? Aren't those the guys that said Ampere would have 4x ray tracing performance over Turing?

Edit: Yes, there you go. Found it.
1. Guy basically makes money by throwing "rumors" (fake news) around.
2. It's easy to get an idea like this, because it's kinda obvious with the Switch success. I have said for a long time that if Ms is smart they release a Series S compatible hand held asap instead of the rumored next XBox 2026.
The PC hand helds already have max gpu/cpu specs of a Series S, what's missing greatly is the bandwidth. If it draws too much power for your target reduce the gpu side and make patches. Lowering the resolution should ideally be enough and fast and easy to implement.

I don't believe it for one second. Sony has already found its ideal Portable to somehow compete against Switch in their own ways. And they don't need to even develop games for it. Not that they actually know how to make compelling games for a portable device anyways.

Sony has already found its ideal Portable to somehow compete against Switch in their own ways.
Sony's Portal doesn't compete with Nintendo at all. You need a Portal at ¥30,000 for the Portal and another minimum ¥65000 for a PS5. That's nearly ¥100,000 for a machine that hasn't the go-anywhere portability of a ¥40,000 NSW.

The only way Sony can compete with NSW is a real portable. Which would of course make the Portla redundant, but it's a crap device anyway and one Sony should actually ditch in order to release a portable PS4 that can remote play PS5 games at home like the Portal does and has TV out for a portable plus home PS4...

What would the power draw be on that spec?
The PS4 CUH-22x model shows a 3 game average of 78.2W according to Sony's figures.

I've struggled to find a great source (I think the PS4 was still manufactured using globalfoundries too, wasn't it?) but lots of Google results are stating a 65% power reduction going from 16nm to 7nm. And TSMC themselves state a 30% power reduction going from 7nm to 5nm.

78.2*.35*.7=19.159

So yeah, about 20W.

The PS4 CUH-22x model shows a 3 game average of 78.2W according to Sony's figures.

I've struggled to find a great source (I think the PS4 was still manufactured using globalfoundries too, wasn't it?) but lots of Google results are stating a 65% power reduction going from 16nm to 7nm. And TSMC themselves state a 30% power reduction going from 7nm to 5nm.

78.2*.35*.7=19.159

So yeah, about 20W.

This doesn't even account for architectural improvements either. I say on 5nm, it's more like sub 15 watts with 8 cores CPU running at 2ghz, and 18Cus running at 1ghz.

I don't believe it for one second. Sony has already found its ideal Portable to somehow compete against Switch in their own ways. And they don't need to even develop games for it. Not that they actually know how to make compelling games for a portable device anyways.

The whole BC with PS4 is that they don't have to devote resources to making games for the PS4. There is a huge library, the most popular live service games are on it, and the majority of new games are still been released on the PS4.

Completely apples and oranges.

If I pick up the PS4 portable, the only games that I'll be playing is MW3, Warzone, and indie games.

The whole BC with PS4 is that they don't have to devote resources to making games for the PS4. There is a huge library, the most popular live service games are on it, and the majority of new games are still been released on the PS4.

Completely apples and oranges.

If I pick up the PS4 portable, the only games that I'll be playing is MW3, Warzone, and indie games.
They don't care about people buying 5$-20$ PS4 games. They want people buying the last console + most expensive games. Portable PS4 would be good for us, but it would bring peanuts revenue for them as no sane person would sub for their most expensive service when half of games would be locked as PS5 games.

Very soon very few games will be released on PS4 platform. Next FF7? Spider-Man 2+? Last Horizon DLC ? All PS5 exclusive. etc.

Back