Windows Mixed Reality brought back to life (active partnership with Valve?) - HP Reverb G2

manux

Veteran
New king of the headsets has been released? HP Reverb G2. Physical IPD adjustment(Great). Better lenses, more cameras for better tracking, 90Hz. Very nice resolution. I would be super tempted if I had not alread bought Quest. For now I think I can manage with quest and hopefully the next upgrade would be with something like reverb g2 + eye tracking + software optimized for eye tracking. Eye tracking alone doesn't do much unless sw ecosystem also adopts it widely.

Immerse yourself in ultra sharp visuals with mura-free, 2160 x 2160 LCD panels per eye and full RGB stripe. At 9.3 million pixels
https://www8.hp.com/us/en/vr/reverb-g2-vr-headset.html

599$ price is very competitive in my mind. Nice middleground between el cheapo solutions and super high end while delivering highend features.

HP's Reverb G2 VR headset delivers Valve Index features at $599
Valve helped HP design the G2's lenses and near-field speakers.
https://www.engadget.com/hp-reverb-g2-announcement-valve-160035211.html

New king of the headsets has been released? HP Reverb G2. Physical IPD adjustment(Great). Better lenses, more cameras for better tracking, 90Hz. Very nice resolution. I would be super tempted if I had not alread bought Quest. For now I think I can manage with quest and hopefully the next upgrade would be with something like reverb g2 + eye tracking + software optimized for eye tracking. Eye tracking alone doesn't do much unless sw ecosystem also adopts it widely.

599$ price is very competitive in my mind. Nice middleground between el cheapo solutions and super high end while delivering highend features.

https://www.engadget.com/hp-reverb-g2-announcement-valve-160035211.html

Ben Lang at RoadtoVR has a proper hands on. Sounds like the fixed the clarity issues with G1 and it's all pretty positive.

https://www.roadtovr.com/hp-reverb-g2-hands-on-preview/

Question marks remain concerning tracking ability, mostly. Of course higher fram rate support would have been nice, as would wider FOV.
Still, this is one I will look at closely once reviews are in.
(Otherwise, what Sony comes up with for PSVR2 is my only real near term hope for a good technological step.)

Question marks remain concerning tracking ability, mostly. Of course higher fram rate support would have been nice, as would wider FOV.
Still, this is one I will look at closely once reviews are in.
(Otherwise, what Sony comes up with for PSVR2 is my only real near term hope for a good technological step.)

Yeah, like Index, it's really just a version 1.5 of VR. PSVR2 and hopefully Quest/Rift 2 will be a proper version 2.

After a long time (years?) with no new headsets announced for the platform, HP just brought a top-end WMR to the table.

- 2K*2K LCD per eye with RGB subpixel stripe
- 114º FoV
- 90Hz
- Optics co-developed with Valve
- Manual IPD adjust
- Inside-out tracking with 4 cameras
- Redesigned controllers (probably WMR's biggest limitation so far)
- Compatible with both WMR and SteamVR
- Integrated sound headset also co-developed with Valve
- $600

I'm not sure if this is natively supported by SteamVR or it uses the official WMR->SteamVR patch. The only difference I know of is button layout.

Ben Lang at RoadtoVR has a proper hands on. Sounds like the fixed the clarity issues with G1 and it's all pretty positive.

Especially this piece from hands on makes me super excited for future of VR. We are getting closer and closer to something really appealing. Ways to go still, but getting closer and closer to being able to replace monitor with vr headset.

When I pulled up Bigscreen to see what it was like to use my PC desktop through the headset, it was the first time I didn’t quickly feel bothered by the resolution. The remaining bottleneck for doing typical PC productivity work in VR without compromise is now more in the realm of, field of view, sweet spot, and comfort.

its a nice low end wmr headset. I've had one at the office since the holidays. Still think controllers need more work but the tracking is getting really good . Almost time

I don't have any sympathy to most of Facebook's behaviors regarding privacy and all that, but actually I'm guessing they will be the first to demo a fully working all AR/VR work environment, one that we will want to really use.

I won't bet on that, though, this is just a guess (and they even have a short - probably semi-fake - clip already).

I would not mind to have a black-white real world pass-through with overlaid VR on my Quest, please proceed, FB. =)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have any sympathy to most of Facebook's behaviors regarding privacy and all that, but actually I'm guessing they will be the first to demo a fully working all AR/VR work environment, one that we will want to really use.

I won't bet on that, though, this is just a guess (and they even have a short - probably semi-fake - clip already).

I would not mind to have a black-white real world pass-through with overlaid VR on my Quest, please proceed, FB. =)

Maybe it's already kind of here?
At the moment each week seems to offer new ways for businesses to collaborate through virtual reality (VR) technology. The latest comes from MeetinVR which has just launched its open beta whilst partnering with Varjo, to release a highly realistic version of its software for Varjo’s headsets.
MeetinVR includes all the useful features you’d expect from a collaboration app, diverse spaces which suit individual company needs, a tablet to access beneficial tools, being able to place 3D objects mid-air and the ability to brainstorm on white boards.

https://www.vrfocus.com/2020/05/var...eate-photorealistic-enterprise-collaboration/

Ominverse is a new platform developed by NVIDIA to share scenes and models between different editors and viewers. Ray tracing is used to accurately visualize content within the Omniverse Kit viewer. As quality ray-tracing effects (such as reflections, soft shadows, and ambient occlusion) are expensive to compute, we'll discuss how we were able to use eye-tracked foveation and warped-space rendering to achieve sufficient performance and quality gains for a virtual reality viewer. We'll also show how adding multi-frame explicit history reprojection to our de-noising strategy better handles the motion of VR interactions. To further improve performance, we'll discuss our strategies for dividing work between multiple GPUs. Streaming allows us to decouple the multi-GPU rendering server from the headset. Finally, we'll demonstrate our application to allow you to experience first-hand the benefits of eye-tracked foveation and ray tracing.
https://developer.nvidia.com/gtc/2020/video/s22029

VR tech is really getting impressive. I haven't owned a VR headset yet, but I'm thinking this one might be my first.

One major concern I have with VR, and this somewhat extends to consoles still, is the lack of control fidelity that you get with a keyboard and mouse. I play a lot of simulation and 4X games that use hotkeys and need finer movements.

I'm not sure how VR does or will handle those types of games, or are they simply not appropriate for VR?

Then a Hotas and a Wheel have you covered.
flight/space and racing sims rock

Interesting. I should have clarified... "simulation" as in Cities Skylines, Civilization, Factorio, even games like Terraria, etc.

Though I admit I can't wait for a good VR racing game to come along, and I salivate at the idea of GTV VI VR edition. I can also get into the ones you suggested too, though it's a mix of interest for me.

The more I've thought about designing and implementing an overhead/table-top style strategy game in VR, the more pause I have. In VR you really want to represent the orientation of the virtual plane/horizon as being the same as your physical one, otherwise you can experience discomfort (imbalance/vertigo-like sensations) -- Google Earth VR is an example of this when the Earth is positioned as a huge sphere in front of you, rather than as a plane beneath you. That said, you also have to contend with the ergonomic impact to your neck, back, and arms because the game-loop involves constantly interacting with things below (looking down, bending forward, and having your arms outstretched and unsupported ("gorilla arm")). That's not to say that those genres are impossible, just that it may not be without drawbacks that require significant reworking and innovation of an otherwise very accepted UI. These are some of the same hurdles faced by science fiction holographic GUIs (a la Minority Report) where they look cool to use for 20 seconds, but aren't something you'd actually want to use all day.

The other concern I'd have is that those types of games tend to be played very casually where your attention can come and go; you can walk away, get a drink, browse the web, etc and come back to make your next turn. All of these things are kind of counter to the experience of VR where you're really expected to commit your undivided attention for some stretch of time.

Some of my favorite memories are of games like Populous, SimCity, SimEarth(!), Civ1/2/3/4, etc, so the idea is something that never goes away.

The more I've thought about designing and implementing an overhead/table-top style strategy game in VR, the more pause I have. In VR you really want to represent the orientation of the virtual plane/horizon as being the same as your physical one, otherwise you can experience discomfort (imbalance/vertigo-like sensations) -- Google Earth VR is an example of this when the Earth is positioned as a huge sphere in front of you, rather than as a plane beneath you. That said, you also have to contend with the ergonomic impact to your neck, back, and arms because the game-loop involves constantly interacting with things below (looking down, bending forward, and having your arms outstretched and unsupported ("gorilla arm")). That's not to say that those genres are impossible, just that it may not be without drawbacks that require significant reworking and innovation of an otherwise very accepted UI. These are some of the same hurdles faced by science fiction holographic GUIs (a la Minority Report) where they look cool to use for 20 seconds, but aren't something you'd actually want to use all day.

The other concern I'd have is that those types of games tend to be played very casually where your attention can come and go; you can walk away, get a drink, browse the web, etc and come back to make your next turn. All of these things are kind of counter to the experience of VR where you're really expected to commit your undivided attention for some stretch of time.

Some of my favorite memories are of games like Populous, SimCity, SimEarth(!), Civ1/2/3/4, etc, so the idea is something that never goes away.

Reading that just reinforces my thought from a couple years ago that those types of games would be far better in AR where you can overlay the playing field over an actual table top. So you can lean on the table, for example. And it "grounds" the play area in space...in a location where you'd expect something like that to be.

I'm still unconvinced that VR with passthrough video camera feed could accomplish something similar comfortably. Of course a big drawback of AR right now is the pretty limited view window.

Regards,
SB

Reverb G2 alyx footage recorded through the lenses. To my eyes this is really excellent quality reverb g2 achieves.

Reverb G2 alyx footage recorded through the lenses. To my eyes this is really excellent quality reverb g2 achieves.

Its really nice headset. I can't name names because of NDA but there are 3 headsets coming out next year that will be much higher quality screens. Larger resolution , fov and refresh times. Also multiple companies have foveate rendering that should be ready in 2021

Its really nice headset. I can't name names because of NDA but there are 3 headsets coming out next year that will be much higher quality screens. Larger resolution , fov and refresh times. Also multiple companies have foveate rendering that should be ready in 2021

Higher quality than this Reverb G2? I'm intrigued. Looks like the VR industry and gaming for it is accelerating.

Higher quality than this Reverb G2? I'm intrigued. Looks like the VR industry and gaming for it is accelerating.

Yes all the major companies have refreshes coming next year. They should all offer much better panels. There are even better WMR headsets coming. Sadly it looks like 2020 is the wasted year for VR unless someone's plans changed. This might be the bad boy of this year. Although Oculus could release something in the fall I guess.

On the reverb g2 website there is a comparison under weight for the rift-s it says " Weight not public " do they not have scales ?

Back