Portable PS5? *spawn*

Outside of the hardware abilities, one aspect that makes the PS4P(ortable) a solid no-go is Sony is not producing any new First Party titles for it. They're not supporting PS4 going forward, so why would they support a PS4P? Consumers would want new titles on a new device.

Curious, how good are zen 2 and rdna scales down?
Ask Samsung on the latter.

Outside of the hardware abilities, one aspect that makes the PS4P(ortable) a solid no-go is Sony is not producing any new First Party titles for it. They're not supporting PS4 going forward, so why would they support a PS4P? Consumers would want new titles on a new device.
I expect it would be Lockhart like in that it supports reduced fidelity games. I think the suggestion it could enable mobile PSVR experiences underscores it would be a companion to a wireless PSVR 2.

Helps challenge the prowess the Oculus Quest has shown.

Remember that heatsink patent?

Last edited:
expect it would be Lockhart like in that it supports reduced fidelity games.
So what frequency would the cpu be clocked at, amount and bandwidth of memory.
It would need to be a port, where Lockhart is just reduced fidelity.

Port may be easier than usual due to architecture and tools, but will be a port nonetheless. I say that due to cpu spec, memory and storage speed etc, not so much the performance of the gpu.

Edit
Oh talking about it playing ps4 games. Maybe I need to go and read thread, to see what spec soc is being discussed here

Last edited:
Ask Samsung on the latter.

I expect it would be Lockhart like in that it supports reduced fidelity games. I think the suggestion it could enable mobile PSVR experiences underscores it would be a companion to a wireless PSVR 2.

Helps challenge the prowess the Oculus Quest has shown.

Remember that heatsink patent?
The wireless headset VR devices are really low powered devices however. Really sort of designed for games like beat saber and not half life alyx.
I’m not going to say there isn’t a niche there; but the power requirements will need to come way down.

As long as there is a market, publishers will release games for the PS4 platform.

I can't expose my insider, but here some info for you:
- project Virgil
- UFS 3.1 on mobiles is already as fast as a low end ssd
- the most advanced producer of UFS is Samsung
- Samsung makes products with Microsoft

I think if you made this supposed AMD 20CU device modular where the low-cost base unit is for hooking up to a TV & then you can sell a separate tablet screen with battery to attach to it for those that want to make it portable. I think MS could go this route with their Surface line. Something like a Surface Book with no keyboard, touchpad, or battery in the base unit. It would be more of a portable gaming set-top than a Switch after adding the modular screen & maybe a separate keyboard. Dual boot Xbox & Windows and you have an interesting hybrid device for people that wouldn't normally buy a PC.

Tommy McClain

Yeah, I'd quite like something modular. Remote Play is on enough Android and iOS devices for the traditional portable concept to be challenged by a microconsole: slot it into a cradle by your TV, slot it into a battery pack for Remote Play to your smartphone's screen, or slot it into a full screen+controller accessory for a traditional portable.

CPU: Zen 2 8c16t @ variable 2GHz
GPU: RDNA2 18CU's @ variable 1.2GHz
Memory: 8GB GDDR6 on a 128-bit bus for 224GB/s
Storage: ~2.5GB/s SSD of varying capacities

• Designate it as its own console, neither PS4 nor PS5.
  • Gain the size and cost benefits of a 7nm (or 5nm) PS4, with the benefits of architectural improvements and complete binary compatibility with the PS5.
  • Backwards compatible to the same extent as the PS5. Again, this is helped by designation as its own product.
  • Third party games for the microconsole play on the PS5 at higher fidelity.
  • Big budget first party games e.g. GoW remain only on the PS5, while indy budget first party games (like the ones Shuhei Yoshida is involved in) play at 1080p30 on the microconsole and 2160p60 on the PS5 (or at the very least, 60fps and 2160p modes.)
  • Baseline hardware for PSVR2 games.

Dual boot Xbox & Windows and you have an interesting hybrid device for people that wouldn't normally buy a PC.
Be pretty expensive so it would have to be the other way around, for people who normally wouldn't buy a console.
As it couldn't be subsidized by Xbox games at all (as could load steam and epic store on etc)

Could be like a surface book like you say, but wouldn't be cheap.
Always found that dual boot idea more hassle than it's worth. Better to just use the apu in a surface line without dual booting into xbox.

That's before taking into account oem relationships if could dual boot.
So probably would give them the option to do it, which would mean selling them apu's, more relationship troubles.

Sony will most probably release MLB The Show 2022 next year on the PS4, PS5 and other platforms.

But that's no Spider-Man: Morales, or Ratchet and Clank, or GT7, or Horizon Forbidden West, or any of the other showcased Sony Studio titles for PS5. You know, the ones everyone seems to be excited over.

an entire thread based on what is basically a "wouldn't it be cool if" tweet..
From an engineer with potential direct knowledge that has been drip feeding other technical details. This isn’t some fanboy with pushpins and yarn.

Yeah, I'd quite like something modular. Remote Play is on enough Android and iOS devices for the traditional portable concept to be challenged by a microconsole: slot it into a cradle by your TV, slot it into a battery pack for Remote Play to your smartphone's screen, or slot it into a full screen+controller accessory for a traditional portable.

CPU: Zen 2 8c16t @ variable 2GHz
GPU: RDNA2 18CU's @ variable 1.2GHz
Memory: 8GB GDDR6 on a 128-bit bus for 224GB/s
Storage: ~2.5GB/s SSD of varying capacities

What would the power envelope be for this form factor?
The modules for a 128-bit GDDR6 bus at the given bandwidth may be around 8-9 Watts, going from the following:
https://www.eetasia.com/hbm2e-top-contender-for-ai-applications/.
The Switch's undocked power consumption is between 7-9 Watts, per Anandtech.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/11181/a-look-at-nintendo-switch-power-consumption/2

From an engineer with potential direct knowledge that has been drip feeding other technical details. This isn’t some fanboy with pushpins and yarn.
People are free to discuss whatever they want, but it is an incredibly unrealistic option; I hope no-one's seriously thinking it's viable.

Back