Best 4K HDR TV's for One X, PS4 Pro [2017-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
But buyer beware - these screens are definitely temperamental. Its really misleading that all of these professional reviews are declaring burn-in a solved problem. Especially since these displays are touted as the ultimate gamer tv, its important to know the limitations of the technology.
RTINGs put the following warning on every OLED TV review:

Something to keep in mind before you buy an OLED TV is that there are risks of permanent burn-in. This happens when static elements stay in the same spot for an extended period, like a channel logo or a user interface in video games. That said, we don't expect burn-in to be an issue for the majority of people who watch varied content.​

The LG arrived at 8am this morning and between bits of work I've now set it up, updated the firmware and important apps like Netflix and I'll need to do a calibration and settings revamp later but out of the box the picture is pretty damn good - although why overscan is enabled by default on so many TVs is a mystery!

webOS and LG's UI immediately impressed me with its responsiveness.

Ok, webOS is brilliant, no doubt helped by LG's great remote control with conventional (up/down/left/right/select/back), gyro assisted pointer and mouse-like click-wheel! Switchchng between Netflix, Amazon Prime and YouTube apps is instant - I'm assuming the TV has a ton of memory and they're all staying resident.

Now that's I've been awoken to the delights of a modern smart TV OS - clearly many advances were made since I bought my 2014 Sony X-series, the choice the OS would definitely influence a TV purchasing decision going forward. I am surprised more it not made the smart TV UI's in reviews, they often say what it is but I think we're at the point where the OS itself needs a review to itself.

Anyway, I'm super happy with my 2019 LG so thanks to all who suggested/recommended it! The money I saved not buying the CX will go towards a big SSD for PS5. I've watched almost no HDR content, I've just started watching Avatar The Last Airbender on Netflix so 4:3 480i content upscaled by Netflix. :runaway:

Yeah. Same with consoles now. As the libraries and hardware has homogenised, the most notable difference for users is going to be the daily experience. Who cares if a TV has 3% better colour gamut and 4 ms lower latency if the interface is shite? We're the other side of TVs all having the same controls and only being differentiated by picture quality. Picture quality is generally good and it's the interfaces that define the platform.

Ok, webOS is brilliant, no doubt helped by LG's great remote control with conventional (up/down/left/right/select/back), gyro assisted pointer and mouse-like click-wheel! Switchchng between Netflix, Amazon Prime and YouTube apps is instant - I'm assuming the TV has a ton of memory and they're all staying resident.

Now that's I've been awoken to the delights of a modern smart TV OS - clearly many advances were made since I bought my 2014 Sony X-series, the choice the OS would definitely influence a TV purchasing decision going forward. I am surprised more it not made the smart TV UI's in reviews, they often say what it is but I think we're at the point where the OS itself needs a review to itself.

Anyway, I'm super happy with my 2019 LG so thanks to all who suggested/recommended it! The money I saved not buying the CX will go towards a big SSD for PS5. I've watched almost no HDR content, I've just started watching Avatar The Last Airbender on Netflix so 4:3 480i content upscaled by Netflix. :runaway:

Yep! LG WebOS is brilliant indeed. Even on their bottom of the barrel TVs, its still faster and easier to use than the majority of top of the line Android TVs. At least compared to the TVs i've tried on showroom and from various TV brands i ever have.

btw their firmware update also awesome, no need to drill down the exact model. Each firmware update are compatible with all base model, across regions. So if you got a bug, and reads that LG fixed it in an FW update but it still hasnt come to your region, you can simply download it off LG's website from different region.

To be fair to Sony, they maintained the firmware on my six year off TV, I had an update earlier this year which is pretty good going and most apps were kept up to date, e.g. Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube, Twitch etc. But the UI definitely was nowhere near the fluidity of webOS, the gyro-pointer is genius. Finally my DualShock4 gyro-keyboard skills are transferrable because having to input a bunch of logins and passwords for service apps, the gyro-controlled pointer make entering them a breeze. I feel like I've being being a smart TV cave for years and I probably have!

Can you pair a tablet or phone with the TV to make typing easier? I think that's what I did when I had 10 Rokus to setup with multiple services (Netflix, Amazon, Disney+, YouTubeTV, YouTube, and Emby).

Can you pair a tablet or phone with the TV to make typing easier? I think that's what I did when I had 10 Rokus to setup with multiple services (Netflix, Amazon, Disney+, YouTubeTV, YouTube, and Emby).

LG (and Sony) have companion apps for their TVs which works as replacement remote controls and offer touchscreen keyboard entry. I downloaded the LG app in anticipation but have not needed to use it. I did use the Sony one for entering logins and passwords. I think the LG remote is Bluetooth, if not then it has some heavy duty IR beam.

I'm still leery of smart TVs, since they've been used in the past for spying.

So I don't connect my TV or Blu Ray player to my network. I did do it for my AVR because it supported AirPlay but I don't use it that much.

Instead I'll likely buy the next Apple TV, which is very responsive.

I'm still leery of smart TVs, since they've been used in the past for spying.

My TV is on a very tight leash, as in the domains it's allowed to connect too is restricted by the router, which was the same setup for my Sony TV. If you're only using mainstream streaming services, Google and Plex, it's a fairly easy this up setup.
I couldn't work our which domain the LG updates it's firmware from though, it seems to be from for a number DNS-less IP servers, so it had a brief reign of freedom to update firmware and now it's back in restricted mode.

Clearly I must be ignorant but what's with this fear of SmartTVs being connected to the Internet? In my case, my only SmartTV is a RokuTV and I hardly ever use any of its apps since everything I do is on the XB1X. What can you do on the SmartTV that I can't do on my XB1X? And why should I be scared to use it?

Tommy McClain

Clearly I must be ignorant but what's with this fear of SmartTVs being connected to the Internet? In my case, my only SmartTV is a RokuTV and I hardly ever use any of its apps since everything I do is on the XB1X. What can you do on the SmartTV that I can't do on my XB1X? And why should I be scared to use it?

Tommy McClain

IIRC there's articles awhile ago about smart TV spying. IIRC they spy with their mic, spy wifi devices, spy aerial TV you see, etc.

I already have always on wide range mic: kinect. My ISP use huawei router with root password that can't be changed. Etc.

So I probably has been spied on every day.

From all of spy devices, I only can monitor the data they spy (at least what they claim they spied) on Google devices. It's on Google account activity history.

My whereabouts, conversations accidentally recorded by assistant, etc all are there. Can be searched and deleted (at least they claim it can be deleted, dunno the reality).

Edit: links

https://arstechnica.com/information...io-tvs-coughs-up-owners-viewing-habits/?amp=1

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...ooping-settlement-via-their-snoopy-tvs/?amp=1

https://www.extremetech.com/electronics/283617-vizio-claims-smart-tvs-spy-on-you-for-your-own-good

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...ked-viewers-around-the-clock-without-consent/

Additionally as all those links are about Vizio

https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-keep-your-smart-tv-from-spying-on-you/

Vizio has changed its ways. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) forced Vizio to stop its snooping.

Then, there's Samsung. It was revealed last year that some Samsung smart TV models can "capture voice commands and associated texts so that we can provide you with Voice Recognition features and evaluate and improve the features."

OK, I can buy that. But, "Please be aware that if your spoken words include personal or other sensitive information, that information will be among the data captured and transmitted to a third party through your use of Voice Recognition."

I'm not happy with that. And I'm downright ticked off that Samsung doesn't properly encrypt this data when it sends it home over the internet.

And we can't forget LG. In 2013, LG wasn't sure if its smart TVs were spying on you or not. I think we can safely assume it was spying.

LOL I guess I'm not concerned. 1) My TV has no mics or cameras. 2) It does not have Google 3) I'm not concerned about my Kinect spying on me. It's been on for years. and 4) even if any of that was spying on me how is that negatively affecting me? I'm not doing anything on my TV or Xbox I would care if they knew. Just sounds like paranoia to me.

Tommy McClain

LOL I guess I'm not concerned. 1) My TV has no mics or cameras. 2) It does not have Google 3) I'm not concerned about my Kinect spying on me. It's been on for years. and 4) even if any of that was spying on me how is that negatively affecting me? I'm not doing anything on my TV or Xbox I would care if they knew. Just sounds like paranoia to me.
My Sony TV had a flip-top camera and mic but it's USB connection to the TV was external so it was easy to disconnect. If all you're doing is watching TV, YouTube, Netflix, Twitch etc then I can't see there's much to worry about. I don't care who knows what I watch. But if you're using the web browser, or adding payment/card info through the TV's interface for anything then that's reason to be more cautious. If the TV is connected to the internet, it has potential to be hacked at well. If hacked, it could send collected information anywhere.

4) even if any of that was spying on me how is that negatively affecting me? I'm not doing anything on my TV or Xbox I would care if they knew.
It's not about doing things you don't care if people know or not so much as the principle of privacy and entitlement to secrets, even if it's just a guilty pleasure of watching some lame sitcom you don't want your friends knowing because they'll keep ribbing you over it, or if you like the freedom of nudity in your own home but aren't comfortable having other people seeing you naked. Also, it's not 'on' the TV or XBox, but 'in front of' the TV or XBox, and even 'in ear-shot of' the TV or XBox where they are camera/microphone enabled

Then there's the possibility of information about you being used against you. Insight into your world could provide a background for con-artists to win you over, claiming interest in the same things you care about to win your good opinion.

Then there's the fact these companies did it without asking permission or being transparent about their actions. You wouldn't be a bit freaked out if a neighbour wired up a camera into your house? If so, why is it okay for a corporation to sneak one in?

And finally, once you open up your life to constant observation, you provide the State with the tools it needs for totalitarian control. Right now, it's okay to sound off about the Premiere in your own home (or even publicly), but if it gets to a point when you can't, there'll be no place to hide. Then you'll have to bite your tongue at all times. One angry slip-up and it's caught on camera...

Just sounds like paranoia to me.
It not paranoia but principle. It may not be a problem for you, but it is a problem for people in general. Just as there are laws in plenty of places against 'Peeping Toms', there are laws and just general human principles to protect people from prying eyes. It's also not paranoia because paranoia is a fear people are spying on you when they aren't, but in this case they were! That's why there's a big Privacy movement to control one's data because it can be misused, and why people are concerned when getting a connected device to know just what exactly it is sharing and with whom.

Last edited:
Yall been watching too many movies or TV. I don't care what people think of my entertainment habits. I can understand being cautious with your financial information. I started shopping on the Internet in the mid 90's and so far so good. You're more likely to get compromised by using your credit/debit card in local stores with less than adequate security in place or card skimmers. You're also more likely to be on camera in public than at home. So I guess we should all quit using your phones and PCs and then move to the wilderness & live off the land. :)

Tommy McClain

Yall been watching too many movies or TV. I don't care what people think of my entertainment habits. I can understand being cautious with your financial information. I started shopping on the Internet in the mid 90's and so far so good. You're more likely to get compromised by using your credit/debit card in local stores with less than adequate security in place or card skimmers. You're also more likely to be on camera in public than at home. So I guess we should all quit using your phones and PCs and then move to the wilderness & live off the land. :)
Or regulate our technology so no unwanted 'features' are snuck in while we're not looking.

Also, just because you're happy with something, doesn't mean everyone else should be. You asked the question what was the concern with Smart TV's, and you've been presented with a reasoning based in fact that people's webcams have been used to spy on them. What you choose to do with that is down to you, but to suggest everyone with a concern grounded in what's actually happened and is happening is over-reacting and they should just retreat from all technologies strikes me as disrespectful.

Heavy price competition in TVs have forced manufacturers to supplement income. Smart TV services mine data for targeted advertising.

The main benefit for consumers is that you can watch streaming without external dongles or streamer boxes and you use the same TV remote. In some cases, built-in streaming apps. for some services offered things like HDR before apps. on streamer boxes.

But do you trust TV manufacturers to keep distributing or for that matter developing security updates?

What you choose to do with that is down to you, but to suggest everyone with a concern grounded in what's actually happened and is happening is over-reacting and they should just retreat from all technologies strikes me as disrespectful.

To each their own!

Tommy McClain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back