Portable PS5? *spawn*

But 18 CUs are interesting because Sony could in theory use Lockhart to run their PS4 games via PS Now. :runaway:

That wouldn't surprise me after they announced that partnership last year. We've been discussing how Microsoft has plans for their Xbox silicon in other devices like Surface, xCloud servers, etc for over a year.

Tommy McClain

That wouldn't surprise me after they announced that partnership last year. We've been discussing how Microsoft has plans for their Xbox silicon in other devices like Surface, xCloud servers, etc for over a year.

Tommy McClain

Its as silly as thinking ms will put halo on ps5 or sony put god of war on xbsx. They are still competing in a space

And you don't need a PS console to be a multiple of 18 because there is something existing on AMD GPU usable under linux to disable CU after it will probably work on 4 Cus for AMD RDNA architecture.

https://www.phoronix.com/forums/for...-error-ring-gfx-timeout?p=1050232#post1050232

There is no documentation on this, but it appears to be working:

amdgpu.disable_cu=0.0.14,0.0.15,1.0.14,1.0.15,2.0. 14,2.0.15,3.0.14,3.0.15

This should basically turn a vega64/fe into a vega56.

I'm going to try to rule out hardware stability by playing with this for awhile ....

Especially when it's exactly the same construction, just missing the ODD and having a different case part. No-one but some execs, designers, and manufacturing partners need be told about that. A different Spec PS5 would need to be known about by devs making games for it.

Especially when it's exactly the same construction, just missing the ODD and having a different case part. No-one but some execs, designers, and manufacturing partners need be told about that. A different Spec PS5 would need to be known about by devs making games for it.
Everyone seems to be assuming it’s on the same timeline as the main console. I would argue the inclusion of 5nm makes that improbable.

Imagine that the existence of this device is a reaction to the Switch’s success. And indeed, you wouldn’t expect it to precede that in conception due to Vita’s stunted life and abandonment. Of course it would be behind the PS5 development timeline.

Everyone seems to be assuming it’s on the same timeline as the main console. I would argue the inclusion of 5nm makes that improbable.

So you're saying it's likely an ex Sony worker openly leaked their plan for a portable that's 12 months away? Or 16 months away? or 24 months away?

Does anyone think sony wants to try a portable console for a third go around ?how sucessfull were the first two ?

Does anyone think sony wants to try a portable console for a third go around ?how sucessfull were the first two ?

Well, I don't believe this silly rumour, but it would be a totally different situation if this portable played the entire catalog of PS4 games, rather than it's own catalog like Vita. The PSP was somewhat successful for a while and I believe that was in part due to it playing PS1 games as well.

First one, hugely, the only non-Nintendo handheld to ever be a big success and sell numbers like Nintendo's. Second one, flopped, but Sony dropped it so it's hard to see where the issue lay with that one. First year sales were a third of PSPs - maybe Sony thought it the market had changed? With the change in mobile gaming, the market for a portable seems questionable, but NSW continues to sell as well as any console so maybe there's still a market for handhelds? Or maybe only Nintendo can succeed there because of the games they make and branding?

Certainly precedent doesn't help shed a light on their plans. Many years ago I was describing for PS4 the idea of a console that was portable, a tablet, with a camera built in so you could dock it and use it for camera-based gamings. Clearly Nintendo aped my idea. Maybe one of the companies will take a crack at that? We've described the same for MS's Surface line, an XBox enabled portable.

If PS5 portable have 1:1 compatibility with PS5 (and back compat with PS4 maybe?) it would be interesting.

Noone has done that. Nintendo kinda done that with switch. But that's one machine that can switch back and forth.

PS5 portable will instantly have huge library, and the game you buy will be playable on home console and portable console.

Heck, it could come with a dock (or hdmi port) and act like Switch. Release it as lowest tier PS5.

So it acts as portable and as cheaper PS5 sku

So it acts as portable and as cheaper PS5 sku
If including a screen and high-quality housing, it wont be much cheaper. At this point it's fairly unrealistic I think. What form factor would you need to get a quarter of PS5's power? You'd have to go even lower, and then you have the same issue with gamers as LH is facing with 'held back games,' only the PS5 games would be even more held back as CPU power is going to be notably less.

I think state of the art for mobile performance is whatever Apple can achieve. Reduce that a factor and you get what a portable could target, or you create a luggable.

Curious, how good are zen 2 and rdna scales down?

Yeah, development wise, if the game already eats tons of cpu just to run at 30 fps on PS5, it'll be a nightmare to optimize to run it at 30 fps on theoretical PS5 portable with way lower cpu perf. Gpu perf on the other hand are relatively easier to manage by cutting down visual fx and resolution.

But cpu perf requirement? It could be hard to scale down, because it could directly affect the game design and player experience.

For example, the crowds in uncharted 4 market. The easiest change to make it run on lower cpu probably by simply reducing the amounts of NPC.

But that market with only 1 or 2 NPCs will give totally different experience to the player. It's no longer a bustling market, it became a desolate market.

Last edited:
We've been fairly recently debating if even a PS4 portable is realistic. ;) I don't think we should try and imagine a PS5 portable at this point, in anything not luggage size at least. PS5 is already briefcase proportioned. Slap a handle on it and you're good to go!

Back