Xbox Series S [XBSS] (Lockhart) General Rumors and Speculation *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please don't post such low quality unsubstantiated rumors on B3D. Their insiders were entirely wrong when it came to specs for next-gen consoles. Their vetting means F-for-all.

Sorry, didn’t realize that wasn’t allowed.

Not to challenge that or anything, but out of curiosity, weren’t the false next gen specs from ResetEra?

Sorry, didn’t realize that wasn’t allowed.

Not to challenge that or anything, but out of curiosity, weren’t the false next gen specs from ResetEra?

The entirely false rumors were from insiders at both of those places. One was far worse than the other.

Amazon now shows both Xbox One S as discontinued

Attachments

• 58B56AC1-F3B6-4235-8CA6-B99F63003DB6.jpeg
    58B56AC1-F3B6-4235-8CA6-B99F63003DB6.jpeg
    342.9 KB · Views: 10
It would be kind of awful to have 4 SKUs of "Xbox" simultaneously.

The best scenario is definitely for MS to replace the XBox One entirely with Series S at a similar price. If they do that but it’s $299 they would be cutting off their low cost last-gen tail. If they keep around one or two XBO SKUs it would be pretty confusing for the consumer. But Series S at $249 or (probably not) $199 and eliminating XBO would be a great move to build next-gen momentum.

Wonder what clockspeed they'll choose to run those 20CUs at? I make it:

5500XT base (1.65GHz) = 4.2TF
Xbox Series X (1.825GHz) = 4.6TF
PS5 (2.3GHz) = 5.7TF :rolleyes:

The first one or slightly lower presumably.

All depends on yields and power targets. I know they are just over 4.2 but i've been told they could get close to 6tflops. S i'm going to go some where between series x clocks and ps5 clocks if yields are good

Last edited:
At same clocks and 24 CUs active, you'd get 5.6 TFs. Sounds close enough to 6? There may only be 20 CUs with none deactivated, depending on yields and configuration.

There were quite wide ranges of performance targets for LockHart, all depending on what configuration they opt for.

The best scenario is definitely for MS to replace the XBox One entirely with Series S at a similar price. If they do that but it’s $299 they would be cutting off their low cost last-gen tail. If they keep around one or two XBO SKUs it would be pretty confusing for the consumer. But Series S at $249 or (probably not) $199 and eliminating XBO would be a great move to build next-gen momentum.

Agreed. A low end box allows transitioning to next gen for those who find a $400-$500 price tag not appealing.

Instead of having a number of gamers still attached to last gen hardware where software supports dwindles every day. You move them over to cheaper next gen hardware where newer next gen software and services can do a better job of enticing them to spend.

In previous gens you had a ton of gamers sitting on the next gen sideline waiting for hardware to be affordable. Those gamers needed to wait 2-4 years before contributing to revenue of the newer platforms. If you can pull those gamers in at the start of the gen, you can get more gamers spending over the entire life of the console and not the last half or third of the platform’s lifetime.

Yep. Lockhart will not have a GPU clock higher than Xsx.

I believe people thinking that we'll see a 25-50% upclock from the initial design goals are very optimistic.
I'm expecting a 10-15% upclock if any.
20% if the yields are truly impressive.
At the target 1080-1440p that would actually be a fair bit extra TF per pixel especially at 1080p.

If they had to eat costs to get anywhere close to 50% it would mean they failed in their initial profiling and design, where believing 4TF was enough when xsx is at 12TF.

Remember when they knew XO was behind, they could only do so much, and this time their not even behind in power.

Sorry, but dont post such low quality rumors, they should not be posted on B3D. Their vetting process mean F-for-all. All their vetted insiders were wrong about hardware specs as well.

Also, when something is removed at least once, it doesn't mean that you should post it again.

All depends on yields and power targets. I know they are just over 4.2 but i've been told they could get close to 6tflops. S i'm going to go some where between series x clocks and ps5 clocks if yields are good

That's a fairly wide target...

Also, when something is removed at least once, it doesn't mean that you should post it again.
To be clear on this point, if something is worth discussing, the Mods will spawn it off into a new thread. If your content is removed and not spawned, it means don't try again.

Now, with that said, there may be some concepts that are worth discussing. They were brought to light by other earlier leaks, such as the software dev environment leaks and software release notes leaks. Perhaps this rumor was sparked by those.

I have posted some possible discussion points in the general thread:

https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2137988/

Yup, 4 CUs is an extra 20%. Nothing to sneeze at.

Clocks would still have to be higher than XSX to hit 6TF with 24 CUs. Although you could round it up. :)

upload_2020-7-4_18-42-38.png

No idea what that means power/heat wise. In principle it doesn't matter, given what they crammed into the OneX, other than the small matter of cost.

Right....but where are these extra 4 CU's coming from? I thought the rumour was that it was 20 CU's...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back