The Last Of Us 2 Downgrades [TLOU2]

The game has solid performance which can't be said for the last of us on PS3. Has the best animations in a game that I have played yet.

Honestly with a few tweaks for the PS5 version it could easily be one of the best looking launch games.

I was wondering about the possible PS5 version if it could be in the realm of possibility to have solid 4k60fps with playable characters having cinematic models used in-game. That alone would probably make this game one of the best looking launch games on next-gen.

Main takes:
  • Close to match the E3 demo but not as good.
  • Looks better than the PGW 2017 trailer.
  • Biggest differences with E3 demo
    • Some objects do not cast shadows, like torches. Seems to be a budget per area as others do.
    • Shadowcasting lights eliminated in plenty of sites.
    • Demo animation looks almost perfect, probably scripted. The in-game animation is good but it doesn't reach what was shown in the E3 demo.
    • The final game has a more natural look / color.
    • Changes in the amount and color of volumetric fog was probably an artistic decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Main takes:
  • Close to match the E3 demo but not as good.
  • Looks better than the PGW 2017 trailer.
  • Biggest differences with E3 demo
    • Some objects do not cast shadows, like torches. Seems to be a budget per area as others do.
    • Shadowcasting lights eliminated in plenty of sites.
    • Demo animation looks almost perfect, probably scripted. The in-game animation is good but it doesn't reach what was shown in the E3 demo.
    • The final game has a more natural look / color.
    • Changes in the amount and color of volumetric fog was probably an artistic decision.
The hair in the trailer looks better than the hair in the game. Something about the way it's lit makes it look more like hair from a CG movie, while the game hair looks like game hair. Also, the lighting and AO on foliage looks lower quality.

The animation downgrade could be memory limit or cpu perf limit. So they use less "natural" anm that uses less memory and or less cpu calculations (that are needed to smoothen the 'stitch' between animations and world objects).

IIRC ages ago when I tried a bunch of mods on skyrim vr, turns out the modded animation that looks way better is the culprit. My cpu single thread perf was too low.

Back