Xbox Series S [XBSS] (Lockhart) General Rumors and Speculation *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like Moore's law is dead's sources have proven to be right on the money. This info was from 4 months ago and it seems the other Microsoft SoC is in fact Lockhart.

I'm impressed they can get the TDP down to 9w even though it is severely downclocked. And its supposedly targeting ultra portable devices. I'm hoping 3nm turns out to be great for power efficiency to keep my portable Lockhart dream alive.

What's the source of the screenshot?

Tommy McClain

What's the source of the screenshot?

Tommy McClain

It's a YouTube video titled "The Zen 3 APU to kill Tiger Lake" on the YouTube channel Moore's Law is Dead. I can't link it because i don't have the privileges yet.

The info in the screenshot is what was given to him by his sources but most of the video is him incorrectly speculating stuff (which has now proven to be false) based on this info. He speculates the APU is codenamed Cezanne but we now know it to be Van Gogh. Cezanne is Zen3+Vega whilst Van Gogh is Zen2+RDNA2 he did an update video on the matter a while ago when more Van Gogh APU info started to surface.

Long story short whilst a lot of the stuff he speculates in the video is wrong, the actual info he was given seems to be correct, at the very least it corroborates info from other sources (tom warren and 20CUs)

Yes, not specifically related to this, but there has been other credible info presented before but the recipients of the info were incorrect in their assessments.

Seems like Moore's law is dead's sources have proven to be right on the money. This info was from 4 months ago and it seems the other Microsoft SoC is in fact Lockhart.

I'm impressed they can get the TDP down to 9w even though it is severely downclocked. And its supposedly targeting ultra portable devices. I'm hoping 3nm turns out to be great for power efficiency to keep my portable Lockhart dream alive.

CPU Clocks on Lockhart is 3.6ghz.

20 CUs might be coincidental. The CU configuration were limited to like 5 possibilities. And what the hell is an RT core...

I don't have a high opinion of any of the Tech Youtubers when it comes to leaks. The good leakers like TomApisak, and Komachi don't monetize their info.

Last edited:
Ehh... Lockhart was known way before that video and the specs just seem like something most people who visit this forum might guess based on what was known about it and Series X at the time.

CPU Clocks on Lockhart is 3.6ghz.

20 CUs might be coincidental. The CU configuration were limited to like 5 possibilities. And what the hell is an RT core...

I don't have a high opinion of any of the Tech Youtubers when it comes to leaks. The good leakers like TomApisak, and Komachi don't monetize their info.
Moore's law is dead "leaks" are like shooting BS in a barrel.Based on what is known of RDNA WGs configuration and likely frequency, 20 cus seemed like the only possibility. Good job for pointing out the obvious.
Komachi is indeed the only legit leaker. RGT was another one before he delved in RDNA 3 BS.

Seems about right. Navi 14 (5500XT) is 22 CU's on a 128-bit bus. It's die size is 158mm. Add a bigger bus and CPU, and you're probably in the ballpark of 200-225mm.

Now, I don't know if the whole console will be really small as rumored. It still seems like a ~100W box.

The PS4 slim is a small ~100W box and half of that is taken up with the blueray/HDD. Plenty of scope for going smaller than the current S with no optical drive and no space consuming GDDR3.

I don't know about having your cheaper entry level hardware not having a disk drive. It just doesn't make sense to me. The people interested in getting the cheaper console are the biggest users of selling and buying second hand games.

I don't know about having your cheaper entry level hardware not having a disk drive. It just doesn't make sense to me. The people interested in getting the cheaper console are the biggest users of selling and buying second hand games.

Hard to know without proper data. Those second hand sales don't make MS/Sony any money directly. Do they buy enough new games through a console's lifecycle to warrant increasing the initial price of Lockhart for every potential customer? Or the cost/inventory mess of two editions?

Hard to know without proper data. Those second hand sales don't make MS/Sony any money directly.

It depends who the target audience for the device is? If it's the price sensitive audience I'm sure they don't care about Sony or Microsoft's ability to make money all they care about is if they can buy and sell games or lend them or whatever.

Now if the target audience is people who already have a primary gaming device and want a cheaper second device that makes sense not to have a disk drive.

On the other hand they can lower the price just that much more and get more people using their ecosystem and if they bundle x months of gamepass with it even the most price sensitive customers will have plenty to play.

Hard to know without proper data. Those second hand sales don't make MS/Sony any money directly. Do they buy enough new games through a console's lifecycle to warrant increasing the initial price of Lockhart for every potential customer? Or the cost/inventory mess of two editions?

He'll be almost certainly correct as this generation saw the base model persistently outsell the premium models.

He'll be almost certainly correct as this generation saw the base model persistently outsell the premium models.

From a few retail stories we have, when the SAD is discounted it sells like hot cakes. It's contradicts second hand being important to the most value conscious customers. It suggests entry price is more important.

Not trying to say one way or the other on a drive being included in Lockhart btw. I just don't think the argument is anywhere near clearcut. Throw GAS into the mix and it confuses things further. Lockhart ends up as the cheapest entrypoint for nextgen Fortnite or whatever.

Xbox One disks all have a unique code don't they? MS should have very good data on who's using used games, which sadly we aren't privy to.

From a few retail stories we have, when the SAD is discounted it sells like hot cakes. It's contradicts second hand being important to the most value conscious customers. It suggests entry price is more important.

I don't know because haven't really read up about it but I thought the SAD wasn't doing to well at all and how do you know it's not people buying it as a secondary console?

I don't know because haven't really read up about it but I thought the SAD wasn't doing to well at all and how do you know it's not people buying it as a secondary console?

I thought I saw some anecdotes before(still looking), but I just checked Amazon & it's the best selling Xbox One console. But it's currently listed as discontinued. Odd.

Tommy McClain

Screenshot_20200702-065824.png

I thought the SAD wasn't doing to well
A lot of that perception is based on the initial sales.
Which unsurprisingly wasn't great because you could either pick up the 1S for cheaper (even on ms own site), or it was the same price.
Once it was actually sold for cheaper seems to be selling pretty well.

@AzBat yea that is strange it being labeled discontinued.

A lot of that perception is based on the initial sales.
Which unsurprisingly wasn't great because you could either pick up the 1S for cheaper (even on ms own site), or it was the same price.
Once it was actually sold for cheaper seems to be selling pretty well.

@AzBat yea that is strange it being labeled discontinued.

What's strange about it ? MS is going to stop selling all xbox one hardware. What's left in the pipeline is it. Some of the consoles they made more than others so you will see it take longer to sell through. They made enough based on previous sales to last them till the XSX launched but it looks like with the pandemic everything is selling out faster than anyone thought it would

I thought I saw some anecdotes before(still looking), but I just checked Amazon & it's the best selling Xbox One console. But it's currently listed as discontinued. Odd.
Amazon UK also has very few (under 20) Xbox One S consoles; they have a handful across all their possible options with most packages being out of stock. The One X seems better stocked.

What is going on?

What's strange about it ?

I figured MS would discontinue all XB1 consoles, but just thought the #1 listing specifically saying "discontinued" was odd. Must be 2nd hand sales or non-Amazon retailers.

Tommy McClain

I figured MS would discontinue all XB1 consoles, but just thought the #1 listing specifically saying "discontinued" was odd. Must be 2nd hand sales or non-Amazon retailers.

Tommy McClain
They can still sell something even if its discontinued. It just means it wont be produced anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back