Xbox Series S [XBSS] (Lockhart) General Rumors and Speculation *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think most of the CPU efficiencies have been made for general purpose servers and some companies may have transitioned to custom cpus and servers a couple years back. I think what will drive the transition to new cloud/server hardware is drastic transitions in usage, such as the focus on MachineLearning. So whenever there are large leaps made with that hardware, the cloud/server providers will make the transition too. I would not be surprised to see a more rapid cadence than once every 18 months when it comes to ML now.

PS3 20GB and 60GB would fall under that as well, on another level even. It always baffles me how they were willing to lose >$250 per console.

Hmm... 20cus... Maybe i should not count just before getting in bed but like... In the real low 200s in terms of size/mm2?

Seems about right. Navi 14 (5500XT) is 22 CU's on a 128-bit bus. It's die size is 158mm. Add a bigger bus and CPU, and you're probably in the ballpark of 200-225mm.

Now, I don't know if the whole console will be really small as rumored. It still seems like a ~100W box.

Kinda suprised they go with the form factor of Xbox One S/Xbox One X for Lockhart if only because people might confuse it for the older genereation/different "family of products" from XSX.

Lower clocks than SeriesX but I doubt its clocked all the way down to 4TF.

Kinda suprised they go with the form factor of Xbox One S/Xbox One X for Lockhart if only because people might confuse it for the older genereation/different "family of products" from XSX.
Probably cheaper to manufacture.
Need to do everything to drive down cost.
Example, single board instead of two board split design.

Could actually work in its favor i.e. traditional looking console, most people seem to like the overall 1S design.
I liked the the cube though, even if this does make more sense.

Lower clocks than SeriesX but I doubt its clocked all the way down to 4TF.
Given 4TF was the design goal, if they can bump the clocks by 10% get to 4.4TF I think that would be a reasonable bump if its before it starts to cost money.
0.4TF doesn't sound like a lot, but for what it is, it's not bad.
Much higher I suspect may start to impact costs?

Given 4TF was the design goal, if they can bump the clocks by 10% get to 4.4TF I think that would be a reasonable bump if its before it starts to cost money.
0.4TF doesn't sound like a lot, but for what it is, it's not bad.
Much higher I suspect may start to impact costs?
gotta keep cooling, VRMs, PSU etc all cheap as well. So there's an upper limit for sure.

Some thoughts from me.

Lockhart is most certainly 1 shader engine and 2 shader array design. Since shader arrays must all have the same # of physical WGP, and each WGP has 2 CUs, the total physical CUs on Lockhart must be divisible by 4. Likewise, for 2 shader engine, the total # of CUs must be divisible by 8. Xsx is 56 (52 active), and PS5 is 40 (36 active).

So Lockhart has 20CUs, all active, or 24 CUs, 4 disabled.

Considering the die size, I'm leaning towards all active.

Since its so skinny, they can do extra high clock speeds, like 2.4 - 2.5 GHz, right? It's a sprinter. :p

Tera- is 10^12

But sure, 4 Gflops = 1.5625MHz. ;)

Lockhart is a digital watch!
egg_2.jpg

LOL.

Seems like Moore's law is dead's sources have proven to be right on the money. This info was from 4 months ago and it seems the other Microsoft SoC is in fact Lockhart.

I'm impressed they can get the TDP down to 9w even though it is severely downclocked. And its supposedly targeting ultra portable devices. I'm hoping 3nm turns out to be great for power efficiency to keep my portable Lockhart dream alive.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200702-010036.png
    Screenshot_20200702-010036.png
    564.8 KB · Views: 49
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back