Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

There are some PSVR2 patents that are already pointing on that direction.

This is one of the reasons that I find highly it unlikely PS5 doesn't have VRS.
You don't need VRS for foveated rendering. I wrote an explanation why a few days ago somewhere! Aha:
https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...d-resolutions-2020.61743/page-11#post-2136264

You don't need VRS. You can just render partial screens at lower res and composite. In fact, that's better than VRS as VRS doesn't change resolution and would be rendering far more pixels than necessary. What you really want is variable rate resolution across the display buffer. VRS can be added on top to simplify the out-of-focus shading.​

Order 1886 came out in 2015 and Uncharted 4 in 2016...

There WERE some real lookers at launch that have held up well though like Killzone: SF and Ryse.

I mean those were the two lookers imho. I am sure there will be more nice looking launch games for this generation but I think that's mostly due to the mid gen consoles. Its a lot easier to put lipstick (raytracing) on a ps4pro or xso game than a ps4 or xbo level game. The gap isn't that huge this time

You don't need VRS for foveated rendering. I wrote an explanation why a few days ago somewhere! Aha:
https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...d-resolutions-2020.61743/page-11#post-2136264

You don't need VRS. You can just render partial screens at lower res and composite. In fact, that's better than VRS as VRS doesn't change resolution and would be rendering far more pixels than necessary. What you really want is variable rate resolution across the display buffer. VRS can be added on top to simplify the out-of-focus shading.​

You seem to have hit the jackpot. This is indeed what Sony appears to be doing by changing pixel density based on distortions created by an image projection.

and driveclub a full year later
Fortunately I didn't care about Drive Club. Had it been PS4 Motorstorm, I would have been fuming.

I used love getting a new console, I'd almost certainly buy a racing game and a fighting game at launch. My How times have changed, I last did with that PS3 (Motorstorm and Virtua Fighter).

PS4 launch was annoying, I was so looking forward to Infamous Second Son and WATCH_DOGS. The former was pushed to the following February and the latter until April.
For me it was a lauch title as the first PS4 I saw which I bought, had it bundled with Killzone. Anyways, anything within 6 months I regard as a launch title.

Would anything in a year be considered the same?

Wow! There's still a lot of games to be released on the PS4.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_4_games

Man, every time I look at the PS5 with optical drive I can't help thinking that the optical drive was an afterthought.

Like the engineers basically designed the PS5 as an all digital machine and then at some point marketing or upper management came in and said, "Hey, we need an optical drive on the PS5." And then the engineers just slapped on an optical drive wart onto the side of it.

Regards,
SB

Man, every time I look at the PS5 with optical drive I can't help thinking that the optical drive was an afterthought.

It really does! :yep2: I can't but wonder if they had hoped to be able to squeeze the optical drive smack in the centre but for some reason they couldn't do this and had to move to the side. Mine will go vertical next to the TV with the drive close to the wall where it won't be as visible.

I don't see it as an afterthought, but a clear compromise to having a super cheap way to adjust SKUs. The thing was designed for DD only and the cheapest alterations possible made to support the optical option for as long as Sony have to. I bet that plastic top just pops off and you can swap them over with zero hassle.

Is anyone planning on purchasing the optical only just to have the prettier console? Is anyone willing to spend the same amount for an OD-less PS5 because it looks better? Or rather, if you prefer the looks of the OD-less PS5 (the true PS5!) would you buy the PS5Bulge at the same price because it has a bit more functionality?

I suggested on EuroGamer that Sony don't have to price the OD-less option cheaper because many gamers don't care about its additional functionality and would choose the true PS5 at the same price for aesthetics. That didn't go down well. ;)

Back