Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

To be fair, this might be the last generation of consoles that sees a genuinely big leap in performance, assuming reports of Moore's law demise are not greatly exaggerated.
Moore's law was always predicated on the brute force, i.e. the number of semiconductors. But you can yield great leaps in performance by designing them to work more efficiently, rather than cramming more in. In practise you get to get combinations of both - unless you're buying Intel processors! :runaway:

Where? No generational leap has been showcased by the consoles manufacturers.

It was up to you to expect that traditional leap in graphics or not. I didnt expect another ps3 to ps4 leap or any before it.
The mid gen upgrades didnt help that whole idea either.

Moore's law was always predicated on the brute force, i.e. the number of semiconductors. But you can yield great leaps in performance by designing them to work more efficiently, rather than cramming more in. In practise you get to get combinations of both - unless you're buying Intel processors! :runaway:

For me the diminishing in returns has nothing to do with the power but with the better the graphics gets the harder it is.

I mean next gen console could of had 20TFlops and the step up wouldn't be as stark as going from characters barely looking like humans on PS1 to being much more believable on PS2.

For me the diminishing in returns has nothing to do with the power but with the better the graphics gets the harder it is.

I mean next gen console could of had 20TFlops and the step up wouldn't be as stark as going from characters barely looking like humans on PS1 to being much more believable on PS2.

Thats the real thing. Ps4 graphics have already gotten so good. Nothing short of photorealism detail on the level of the facial model in hellblade 2s trailer would show a truly transformative leap at a glance as opposed to a notable jump even though the hw is beast.

But its also true at the same time that devs are just getting used to their tools and are preparing for the very first wave of games, of which are functionally cross gen games based on their older tech bases(especially considering sony wanted first party games in development in 2017, years before the console was fully established)

Just like every gen, the hardware will be utilized more as time goes on and legacy restraints are lifted. I think we will inevitably see undeniable instances of things impossible in the past as we go forward past 2021.

Yes or going from gt2 to gt3 ps2. GT3’s graphics back then, i remember the reviewers being jawdropped.

I think we will inevitably see undeniable instances of things impossible in the past as we go forward past 2021.

With ps4 we got great gfx from the start. UC4/order 1886 still isn’t far off from what we got at the end of the gen. Thanks to x86 arch maybe, but with ps2/3 graphics did evolve more during the generations lifetime.

If you mean a gameworld with a 600 km depth of field, correct simulation of atmosphere interaction with light/terrain/sea and landscapes for days? Ya.

Look at the hzfw cinematics for a while, and then watch hzd on ps4. While not offering a true generational leap as before, switching back to hzd makes it looks kinda ’empty and flat’. It’s just enough to warrent a new console i think.
With games looking as good as they do on current gen (SC, hzd, gow, rdr2, ds etc), its harder to make things better then before.

If we're talking graphics, the next generational leap should be ray tracing. Among other things that were increased to support it, but this one particular feature opens a variety of new techniques to enter the discussion.

If we're talking about game design innovation - SSD and possibly ray tracing, we may see some good AI this generation. Possibly sound? I've got to hear it though, I'm not sure what we're looking for. But I think the standout one for game design innovation will be SSD. This isn't to say CPU isn't equally if not more important, but the jump in CPU power isn't as great as the jump in I/O, so I'll give the nod to I/O

Last edited:
If we're talking graphics, the next generational leap should be ray tracing.
I think the next generational leap will be consistent universal lighting. Whether that's achieved through RT or some other means doesn't matter. This gen, we have moments of lighting about as good as we can expect, but they are static and come with all sorts of shortcomings and inconsistencies.

Or in short, we'll have games where detractors won't be able to cherry-pick rare bad examples of the game looking poop. ;)

For game experience, ML should be the greatest advance, though it may have to wait until next generation. ML might do wonders. And if foveated rendering with eye tracking ever happens, that'll be a game changer beyond anything else.

I think the next generational leap will be consistent universal lighting. Whether that's achieved through RT or some other means doesn't matter. This gen, we have moments of lighting about as good as we can expect, but they are static and come with all sorts of shortcomings and inconsistencies.

Or in short, we'll have games where detractors won't be able to cherry-pick rare bad examples of the game looking poop. ;)

For game experience, ML should be the greatest advance, though it may have to wait until next generation. ML might do wonders. And if foveated rendering with eye tracking ever happens, that'll be a game changer beyond anything else.
yea, that's a better encompassing answer. There is enough compute power for most games to just _light_ dynamically finally. RT would be better, but yes, I would agree that something like Lumens will be a very common solution going into next gen.

There are some PSVR2 patents that are already pointing on that direction.

https://uploadvr.com/sony-patents-eye-tracking/

But it’s the inclusion of an eye-tracking sensor that makes this patent really interesting. The patent says that the sensor is able to determine “gaze information of the user in order to improve quality of content provided for rendering on the head mounted display.”

To us, that sounds a lot like foveated rendering. That’s a process in which a headset tracks the position of the user’s eyes and fully renders the area of the screen in the center of their vision. The rest of the image isn’t fully rendered, but this is unnoticeable in the user’s peripheral vision. This greatly reduces the processing power demanded on the machine running the VR experience.

This is one of the reasons that I find highly it unlikely PS5 doesn't have VRS.

Yes or g

With ps4 we got great gfx from the start. UC4/order 1886 still isn’t far off from what we got at the end of the gen. Thanks to x86 arch maybe, but with ps2/3 graphics did evolve more during the generations lifetime.

Certain launch games looked great...others looked like upressed ps360 games(cod ghosts) cause it took some time for devs

With ps5 we are getting great graphics from the start as well...but a learning curve still exists

Last edited:

Certain launch games looked great...others looked like upressed ps360 games(cod ghosts) cause it took some time for devs

With ps5 we are getting great graphics from the start as well...but a learning curve still exists[/QUOTE]

because time to triangle and ease of accessing the hardware

Back