Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Do we know anything more about oodle compression that was being licensed for free for devs by sony? From what i heard it would speed up the ssd io and lower game sizes...youd think it would be a priority to get tech twitter talking about what this could do for games

Do we know anything more about oodle compression that was being licensed for free for devs by sony? From what i heard it would speed up the ssd io and lower game sizes...youd think it would be a priority to get tech twitter talking about what this could do for games
Oodle is a family of compression tools, which includes support for Kraken among others compression methods, made by RAD Game Tools.
So Sony is probably giving the Kraken version for free. There's also open source versions of it but I don't think they allow commercial use

I know I most likely won't get a response but I asked Mark Cerny and Hermen Hulst if I could play PS4 games I bought in disk format on the DE PS5. I have been thinking of maybe going the DE PS5 route however most of my favourite PS4 games are all on disk.

Context to the news link:

Naughty Dog Talks PS5, Is ‘Excited To See The Doors That Open For Us’
Speaking during an appearance on Reggie Fils-Aime’s new podcast, Naughty Dog’s Neil Druckmann touched base on the upcoming PS5 and what it means for the developer going forward, particularly when it comes to the reduced load times afforded by the SSD.

When did this dev switch companies? There were claims made earlier today about ND and Insomniac having some sort of an "anti-poaching" verbal agreement.

It's shocking that the Vice President of Sony's most renowned first party game studio would be excited by Sony's next generation console!

I did not see that coming. :nope:
To be fair, this might be the last generation of consoles that sees a genuinely big leap in performance, assuming reports of Moore's law demise are not greatly exaggerated.

PS5 going full XBONE (Media Sidebar Patent)

https://patentscope.wipo.int/search...0129908&tab=PCTBIBLIO&_cid=P20-KBUO6U-87137-1

0A7E5C39-931F-4D94-A601-54CBDC498FE3.jpeg

_4cEbBN9_Yv9huSAqCjrDLqRVb5VRO7heSqNw7wvJpisClSzFKWBFvvbJUp0MGNj7G7l2FI2MU8MgBEXXlOXsdgzRhrsqwromgFibQSmwkv4yvOXRCpn1EySrbnZ12LYwW-xoNg1LRFVEM0pzGavcq9IxO88DCMLsA0b928Br-k;jsessionid=F2018DE5DE4EE1951A250C748C5C70F0.wapp1nA

I remember this being one of the nicest features of the XB OS, but I believe they removed it later.

Big if true. That can only mean PS5 has a Kinect 2, shape audio and constant connectivity with MS's cloud compute, since those are sine qua non requirements for such rich interface features, acording to Don Mattrick, at least.

Back