When will current-gen console production stop? [XO, PS4] *spawn*

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
if PS5 stocks are low for the first while, they are going to need to keep selling PS4s to flatten their curve, not to mention continue to support the selling of games for PS4 while they ramp up PS5.

If sony can make ps4 199$ or cheaper I would expect there to be pivot towards families, young children and developing countries. i.e. non core games would keep buying ps4 due to casual games. It's any ones guess if casual console market still exists or is it mobile only world already?

Microsoft has history of killing consoles quickly. Interesting to see if they try to find long tail or if they just kill current gen in favor of series x and the rumored lockheart.

I'm still claiming that once the dust settles ps4 has had a chance of taking the sales crown from ps2. Earliest ps4 dies imho. is after 2023 christmas. Wouldn't be surprised if manufacturing ends somewhere around 2025. Assuming of course there is a way to price reduce ps4 and keep selling it. It's not competing with ps5 in any way if one is 499 and another one is 149/199.

Last edited:
Microsoft already stopped making Xbox One X consoles.

If Microsoft launches Lockhart at the $200 to $249 price range, they will kill all Xbox One manufacturing.

For reference:
Sony made the PS1 for 11 years 1994-2006, 6 years into next gen
Sony made the PS2 for 13 years 2000-2013, 7 years into next gen
Sony made the PS3 for 11 years 2006-2017, 4 years into next gen

Some are forecasting:
Sony made the PS4 for 8 years 2013-2021, 1 year into next gen

I mean, really?! As already stated, they continued with the expensive PS3 for 4 years into next gen. Why oh why would they support PS4 for an even shorter time? Flash drives will eventually get very cheap for a 500 GB model.

What if we average out when Sony stops making PS4 and when Microsoft stops making Xbox One consoles? That will bring the numbers down by half. :LOL:

Why oh why would they support PS4 for an even shorter time?

Covid. We're entering a historically different time. One would think with what little manufacturing is available they will want to stop PS4 so they can push PS5. If PS4 was such a money maker why not delay PS5 another year instead?

Tommy McClain

If PS4 was such a money maker why not delay PS5 another year instead?
Weird question. PS4 is making loads of money but you don't want to be too late to the next-gen party or your opponent can get too entrenched. And you have to decide when to launch years in advance. Maybe in retrospect Sony wish they'd deferred another 18 months because PS4 is doing so well, but they decided back in 2015 or whenever to launch 2020 and that's what they've committed to.

Well it was 2019 but then pushed to 2020 if the scuttle-butt is accurate...

Weird question. PS4 is making loads of money but you don't want to be too late to the next-gen party or your opponent can get too entrenched. And you have to decide when to launch years in advance. Maybe in retrospect Sony wish they'd deferred another 18 months because PS4 is doing so well, but they decided back in 2015 or whenever to launch 2020 and that's what they've committed to.

Outselling their competition over 2:1 & they're worried about them getting entrenched with a year lead? LOL

BTW, I don't think it's 100% fact they originally decided to launch in 2020. Maybe they already delayed a year & delaying 2 years was off the table?

Tommy McClain

Sony has over 100 million consoles that can be part of the secondary market as people upgrade to PS5. No reason for those who upgraded to keep their old console. It's not needed to finish their current games or backlog. ;)
100 million people are not going to upgrade to PS5 in just a few years and not everybody who does will sell on their console, they might retire it to the kids room. There will remain a market who want to buy a new, reliable cheap console.

Last edited by a moderator:
My point exactly. The year headstart for the 360 in the end tied or lost to the PS3(depends on who you ask). Sony has a good enough brand they could do it again.

Tommy McClain

Why though?
They not going to sell more PS4s if there's no PS5, almost everyone that's going to buy a PS5 in the first 6 months already has a PS4 or some other current gaming device.

Why though?
They not going to sell more PS4s if there's no PS5, almost everyone that's going to buy a PS5 in the first 6 months already has a PS4 or some other current gaming device.

Regardless of the PS5 the PS4 still sells in droves. Unless you think they already hit the bottom? The whole discussion revolved around PS selling for years. What's another year? If those same people are loyal PS fans then they will still be there next year, no? With limited manufacturing what's more lucrative more PS4 or the new PS5? Looks like MS already made their decision.

Tommy McClain

My point exactly. The year headstart for the 360 in the end tied or lost to the PS3(depends on who you ask).
Or looking at it another way, launching late cost Sony a huge chunk of their market. Launching late against a strong competitor isn't a good idea.

My point exactly. The year headstart for the 360 in the end tied or lost to the PS3(depends on who you ask). Sony has a good enough brand they could do it again.

Tommy McClain

So your saying sony wants to tie their competition with an overly arrogant marketing campaign, 2 e3s worth of smoke and mirrors, an overly expensive launch price, very few or underwhelming launch games and giving the competition a year head start?

Sony will never intentionally repeat those mistakes again. i think ms has had to learn lessons as well.

Or looking at it another way, launching late cost Sony a huge chunk of their market. Launching late against a strong competitor isn't a good idea.

Strong competitor eh? Huge is relative.

So your saying sony wants to tie their competition with an overly arrogant marketing campaign, 2 e3s worth of smoke and mirrors, an overly expensive launch price, very few or underwhelming launch games and giving the competition a year head start?

Sony will never intentionally repeat those mistakes again. i think ms has had to learn lessons as well.

I think any company in a leading position are bound to take their success for granted & will make mistakes that allow another more hungry competitor to come in & undercut them. I don't think any company, including Sony, are immune to that.

Tommy McClain

Strong competitor eh? Huge is relative.

I think any company in a leading position are bound to take their success for granted & will make mistakes that allow another more hungry competitor to come in & undercut them. I don't think any company, including Sony, are immune to that.

Tommy McClain

Which is why sony is so paranoid right now at not allowing that to happen regarding marketing pricing, features and games.

But based on your posts your literally telling them to do that with no fallback plan in ps4 either which is insane.

You literally just said "lol why would sony be concerned about their competiton launching a year early than them"...when we literally have nothing but examples to give as to why they are trying not to become complacent

Back