Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really liked analysis and had completely forgotten that Naughty Dog had to walk back some of the dynamic combat AI/animation shown in earlier The Last of Us videos.

It's a bit like Bioshock Infinite. The level of interaction between Booker and Elizabeth during gameplay shown in the early trailers was never achieved.

I guess that when you move from a controlled/scripted environment to real gameplay with players doing strange things that you never anticipated, adapting the game to deal with those scenarios while maintaining the initial vision is just not possible unless you delay the game even more, over blowing the budget. And really with no guarantee you'll be able to achieve that level of quality.

A detail that weirdly stood out to me was the behaviour of the crow sitting on the turtle thing as it rises up (7 mins in). The movement forces the crow to shift positions and it flits from place to place to get a new purchase which is exactly what crows do when they have a nice spot and don't want to move.

I don't see the point of analysing cinematics (even if some of them are *maybe* done in real time)...

He did note that the demo shown most likely isnt represatative of the final thing multiple times. It's all DF can give us for now though.
He analysed HellBlade 2 trailer in the same vein.

Yeah but it's not even a real time demo afaik. I don't mind less videos. This one smell like click/view bait, like the Hellblade 2 one.

I don't see the point of analysing cinematics (even if some of them are *maybe* done in real time)...
To set the stage for the video in a few years when the game launches and doesn't look like the trailer. Plus, it's fun. And, a steady content stream is what makes money.

That trailer was all real-time rendered on a PS5 as stated in the PS5 event did people forget about it?
It goes to show how insane the graphics are indeed.

That trailer was all real-time rendered on a PS5 as stated in the PS5 event did people forget about it?
Many people rightly don't see a difference between a cutscene running real-time (Horizon 2) or not (Hellblade 2). Both are not what the people will actually play.

Many people rightly don't see a difference between a cutscene running real-time (Horizon 2) or not (Hellblade 2). Both are not what the people will actually play.
But ones real-time and the other was not. I always pay more respects to the real time footage regardless of the gameplay difference. I really doubt there will be a significant difference tho if HZD is any indication but we’ll see.

Cutscenes will always look better for some of the reasons Dictator mentioned: controlled lighting, better models, etc. However, having seen Death Stranding, I'm hopeful the gameplay will look beautiful. I think Guerrilla don't want to be close to repeat the KZ2 trailer fiasco ever.

But ones real-time and the other was not. I always pay more respects to the real time footage regardless of the gameplay difference. I really doubt there will be a significant difference tho if HZD is any indication but we’ll see.
But we don't know for sure. This is the problem when you don't show actual gameplay, you can control stuff. The first footage of Horizon 1 was mainly gameplay so there was no doubt of the final result, no ambiguity. Here they made the bold choice of impressing the gamers with their cutscene, which they did, but they certainly didn't impress that much the technicaly minded people like they did with Horizon 1.

Cutscenes will always look better than gameplay, even when those cutscenes are real time! This will be the case on PS5, PS6, PS47!

I don't really believe it, at least for the underwater scene, and the "beast" waking up in the pond. Time will tell anyway.

the reasons Dictator mentioned: controlled lighting, better models, etc.

Yes, like with the last of us 2 2018 trailer. HZFW is totally believable though, people wouldn't be underwhelmed if they went all in CGI like with the hb2 trailer. One can assume the final game will look close to what was shown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back