When will current-gen console production stop? [XO, PS4] *spawn*

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 11852

Sony could choose to keep 4Pro going, but it won't offer the next-gen experience at 1080p30 or somesuch. The architecture is just too old. It'll just be a last-gen console. More likely Sony would retire the 4Pro and price-reduce PS4 as much as possible.
Yup, keeping 4Pro going makes no sense. Both manufacturers offer a budget option and a performance option. It's impossible to make 4Pro as cheap to base PS4 and it's not as fast as PS5 so it is superfluous.

Yes. Super slim 7nm base ps4 and ps5 duo while phasing out ps4 pro seems obvious. If ps5 pro comes along that can be a thing years from now

Yes. Super slim 7nm base ps4 and ps5 duo while phasing out ps4 pro seems obvious. If ps5 pro comes along that can be a thing years from now

Super slim ps4 would be cool but are they even going to bother doing that?...

Think if they were going to release another slim PS4 this would be the last year we would see it, and nothing has been announced....so I'm skeptical it's ever coming at this point

Super slim ps4 would be cool but are they even going to bother doing that?...

Think if they were going to release another slim PS4 this would be the last year we would see it, and nothing has been announced....so I'm skeptical it's ever coming at this point

Its an easy way to keep casuals invested in ecosystem and spending money through psn. Especially with a potentially pricey ps5. I think they will do it....they have also talked alot about cross generational play between ps4 and ps5. I think they are anticipating having to support ps4 for a while yet. And what better way than to phase out pro and ps4 slim and make a cheaper to manufacture(and to consumers) single ps4 super slim(without disc drive?) as super low cost option and ps5 as premium experience

Its an easy way to keep casuals invested in ecosystem and spending money through psn. Especially with a potentially pricey ps5. I think they will do it....they have also talked alot about cross generational play between ps4 and ps5. I think they are anticipating having to support ps4 for a while yet. And what better way than to phase out pro and ps4 slim and make a cheaper to manufacture(and to consumers) single ps4 super slim(without disc drive?) as super low cost option and ps5 as premium experience

Didn't Sony already drop support for making new games on the PS4 ? Why invest into a new smaller console that would need a micron drop on its apu to achieve ? Microsoft is/will be stoping production on the xbox one skus so while new games from MS will come out for another year the hardware base wont be growing after this year. Keeping around a jaguar cpu and gcn graphics chip with so little ram for another 3 or so years doesn't sound ideal. In fact a ps4 super slim could outsell a ps5 for a while meaning all third party devs will support the ps4 hardware long into the next generation.

Think if they were going to release another slim PS4 this would be the last year we would see it, and nothing has been announced....
Why would they announce it now though? All the Sony messaging is about PS5, same as MS not talking about Lockhart. Quiet a few companies announce hardware just before its available. I don't think unreasonable for Sony to have a PS5 presentation and throw in a, "we're also releasing a super cheap PS4," to please the share-holders even moreso.

If it's possible to get a super cheap PS4, Sony should definitely give it a go.

Didn't Sony already drop support for making new games on the PS4 ? Why invest into a new smaller console that would need a micron drop on its apu to achieve ? Microsoft is/will be stoping production on the xbox one skus so while new games from MS will come out for another year the hardware base wont be growing after this year. Keeping around a jaguar cpu and gcn graphics chip with so little ram for another 3 or so years doesn't sound ideal. In fact a ps4 super slim could outsell a ps5 for a while meaning all third party devs will support the ps4 hardware long into the next generation.

What does sonys first party studios moving onto ps5 have to do with ps4..? Those games that already exist will find new users in casual market and third parties will be making ps4 games for a while too.

Unless you think sony will cut off all production of ps4 a year or two from now(which they never do) a lower cost revision is inevitable.

Its same situation as ps2 to ps3. The main reason ps2 is highest selling console of all time is that sony cut the price after ps3 came out and continued selling it in third world countries as a budget gaming device. It sold 45 mil after 2006.

Didn't Sony already drop support for making new games on the PS4 ?
No. Weird thing to say. Are you confused that with the 'all games must also be certified for PS5' requirement?

Why invest into a new smaller console that would need a micron drop on its apu to achieve ?
To reach an audience that can't/won't spend > $200 on a console.
In fact a ps4 super slim could outsell a ps5 for a while meaning all third party devs will support the ps4 hardware long into the next generation.
Sales of new software on old hardware will likely be low. I think devs (AA+) would move on to support the core audience and this PS4Superslim would just sell old games at budget prices. Heck, Sony could follow the strategy suggested for MS and do a bundle deal with PSNow for hundreds of games at 10 bucks a month.

The product wouldn't cannibalise PS4 sales so why avoid it? Long term, it may help establish brand awareness in new generations of gamers. If a $100 console could be reached, say, and sold to children, they'll have their gaming habits grounded in PlayStation which may pay dividends later on when they start choosing their own consoles. Especially if it has a portable library. If so Sony should really make a point of that I think

Only real reason is if the cost to size-reduce outweighs returns from hardware sales. Given subscription earnings, just increasing the audience base as much as possible seems a good justification to ride that profit-line a little tighter.

What does sonys first party studios moving onto ps5 have to do with ps4..? Those games that already exist will find new users in casual market and third parties will be making ps4 games for a while too.

Unless you think sony will cut off all production of ps4 a year or two from now(which they never do) a lower cost revision is inevitable.

Its same situation as ps2 to ps3. The main reason ps2 is highest selling console of all time is that sony cut the price after ps3 came out and continued selling it in third world countries as a budget gaming device. It sold 45 mil after 2006.

I actually do think Sony will be stopping ps4 production.

That's shorter than every generation. Even PS3 lasted 10 years and that was with the burden of Cell production and an inability to reduce it down much. Why do you think Sony will stop PS4 production earlier?

What reasoning do you have? Historically sony keeps consoles on the production line many years after their successors come out. And ps4 has way more incentive to do this now with psn ps4 ecosystem they will keep open forever now and ps4 being on track to be their second highest selling console.

This is no og xbox situation where nvidia were being pieces of shit on manufacturing costs refusing to allow a die shrink and the system not selling all that well to begin with

Why would Sony treat this generation differently than previous? Not promoting something, or even making first party games for it doesn't mean games stop being made for it, or production stops.

How long after each generation did they keep producing the previous consoles before? Swear usually years after.

Why would they announce it now though? All the Sony messaging is about PS5, same as MS not talking about Lockhart. Quiet a few companies announce hardware just before its available. I don't think unreasonable for Sony to have a PS5 presentation and throw in a, "we're also releasing a super cheap PS4," to please the share-holders even moreso.

Right but they haven't done that..

Yup, keeping 4Pro going makes no sense. Both manufacturers offer a budget option and a performance option. It's impossible to make 4Pro as cheap to base PS4 and it's not as fast as PS5 so it is superfluous.
I disagree. I think they'll sell both models as long as people continue buying them. Pro will still make sense as the cheap 4K model particularly if they'll reduce the price difference between both models like $50 or so.

I could see Sony phasing out the base PS4 before the Pro.

Why would Sony continue making a console they're not targeting for any First Party games at all after GoT? I can see manufacture orders for another year, but that's pushing it to continue making it after the Holiday 2020 sales period.

Anyways, this should likely be it's own discussion... How long will Sony and MS continue producing Current-Gen consoles?

Why would Sony continue making a console they're not targeting for any First Party games at all after GoT? I can see manufacture orders for another year, but that's pushing it to continue making it after the Holiday 2020 sales period.

Anyways, this should likely be it's own discussion... How long will Sony and MS continue producing Current-Gen consoles?
Short answer: 3rd party is still selling games on that platform and they get revenue cut as the platform holder. I assume once sales are low enough, even for the 3rd parties, they will stop manufacturing them.

Short answer: 3rd party is still selling games on that platform and they get revenue cut as the platform holder. I assume once sales are low enough, even for the 3rd parties, they will stop manufacturing them.

Is there are reason to believe you won't be able to buy PS4 games digitally on PS5?

Back