[SPOILERS] The Last of Us 2 open discussion [/SPOILERS]

@DSoup my take is that Abby felt the scar girls are her chance for redemption.

Some people have psychological need to do that because they need to think they are not a bad person. They maybe do it subconsciously.

The money boss (what's the English?) at my workplace till last year was like that. He and his pupils do tons of corruptions, taking foods from low level workers, halfing severance pay, etc.

But every big religion events come, he never fails to give something to the workers.

The workers are too afraid to say anything. Even after I showed them the law that the workers are totally right and the company is the one totally wrong.

---

As for ellie, she's been consumed by hate. Even after being confronted with other's opinion and condition, she still consumed by hate.

Last edited:
But redemption from what? She didn't regret what she did to Joel. She seemed to be mostly enjoying her life in the WLF apart from the weird Abby-Own-Mel love triangle.

You see I didn't see it that way at all. Abbie's father was about to murder Ellie when Joel killed him Abbie just tortured and murdered Joel.

The doctors were non-combatants, Joel could have just knocked them out. Shooting them in the head was unnecessary - incidentally that wasn't my 'canon' ending, on every play-through I shot them in the leg.

interpolated the final fight scene to 60fps (may need awhile before youtube finished processing)

But redemption from what? She didn't regret what she did to Joel. She seemed to be mostly enjoying her life in the WLF apart from the weird Abby-Own-Mel love triangle.

The doctors were non-combatants, Joel could have just knocked them out. Shooting them in the head was unnecessary - incidentally that wasn't my 'canon' ending, on every play-through I shot them in the leg.

redemption from everything, not from joel specifically (or She maybe even no longer thinking about joel, as it was a "done" issue. a revenge satisfied/completed). One of the character even says to her face that she's the best scar murderer.

The doctors were non-combatants, Joel could have just knocked them out. Shooting them in the head was unnecessary - incidentally that wasn't my 'canon' ending, on every

If I remember correctly I only killed the surgeon and he did grab a scalpel and pointed at Joel with it and said I wont let you take her. I don't know if it's cannon but you didn't have to kill all the doctors I didn't.

Abby seeking redemption is not only about killing Joel but what she turned into after the fact also. That's my theory anyways.

Last edited:
redemption from everything, not from joel specifically (or She maybe even no longer thinking about joel, as it was a "done" issue. a revenge satisfied/completed). One of the character even says to her face that she's the best scar murderer.
If she was on a path for redemption, why'd she sleep with Owen?

If I remember correctly I only killed the surgeon and he did grab a scalpel and pointed at Joel with it and said I wont let you take her. I don't know if it's cannon but you didn't have to kill all the doctors I didn't.

I had to check the video to see what happens. I didn't realise there was even an option not to shoot but if you chose not and advance on the doctor then Joel disarms the doctor's scape, then jams it in his neck. Minimum use of force? Only if you're a cop in the US. :runaway: Trying to avoiding medical insurance costs? Yeah.. maybe. :nope:

Abby seeking redemption is not only about killing Joel but what she turned into after the fact also. That my theory anyways.
That's the thing, it could be anything, but nothing specific. In game with such a meticulously told story, why are we having to guess what the main character's motivations are?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to check the video to see what happens. I didn't realise there was even an option not to shoot but if you chose not and advance on the doctor then Joel disarms the doctor's scape, then jams it in his neck. Minimum use of force? Only if you're a cop in the US. :runaway: Trying to avoiding medical insurance costs? Yeah.. maybe. :nope:

Yes, I'm not trying to sugar coat what he did but it's not comparable to what Abby did but again it's just different perspective and my lot is in with Joel and Ellie because of the first game.

If she was on a path for redemption, why'd she sleep with Owen?

That's the thing, it could be anything, but nothing specific. In game with such a meticulously told story, why are we having to guess what the main character's motivations are?

IIRC she's conflicted with her having sex with Owen.

All of the confusing/illogical/baffling things the characters did... Things they did that are short sighted. Dictated by fleeting / temporal feelings. made them feels more human. Instead of just a video game character.

Or it could be that I keeps meeting weird humans thus my perspective of what human is, became skewed.

Yes, I'm not trying to sugar coat what he did but it's not comparable to what Abby did but again it's just different perspective and my lot is in with Joel and Ellie because of the first game.

Yeah what Joel did was waaaay over the line. But at that time, Joel was not thinking clearly / far. Joel was full of emotion.

And the game presented that beautifully (uh Is that the right word?) to the player (me).

@DSoup having just started my second play through the way Abby kills Joel is in no way comparable to how Joel kills her father.

Joel and Tommy save her life and then she tortures and kills him. I'm more cemented I'm my opinion that Ellie would have killed her if she found her at the boat but the Rippers? ( Can't remember there name, the faction at the end ) stole that from her.

@DSoup having just started my second play through the way Abby kills Joel is in no way comparable to how Joel kills her father.
Give Abby some credit. This woman took a golf club 800 miles to kill Joel. :yep2:

Give Abby some credit. This woman took a golf club 800 miles to kill Joel. :yep2:
No, she found it in the garage. :) Unless that was a joke from your side then haha.

IIRC she's conflicted with her having sex with Owen.

Nope. She always liked Owen and even the scene in the aquarium shows she really likes him but she puts her career and her revenge in front of having a relationship with him and she is still small built(so before she becomes someone high up in the WLF army). When she learns that he and Mel are dating, she is devastated and thereafter keeps him at a distance until the night on the yacht where they sleep together which was a scene of passion, although it didn't start out that way.

Last edited:

Lev is a boy or did a miss something? Yes he shaved his hair short like the men which was against the rules but Yara never ever refers to him as a girl which is why I ask why people think his is a her. He also doesn't have female features and looks like a little boy.

She seemed to be mostly enjoying her life in the WLF
Yes she did. I think after Joel dies she changes and doesn't want to kill anymore if she isn't force to i.e. When fighting the scars she is forced to as they will kill her if she doesn't. When she meets Lev and Yara, they do save her and initially she likely feels she owes them a debt hence why she goes back for them. However she eventually starts liking them as she should as they are both nice people, they are just brought up in a faction she doesn't like. If she was in the bush hiding when Yara arm is broken, I doubt she would have done anything and just moved on.

the weird Abby-Own-Mel love triangle.
Why is it weird? She liked him. After her father dies she decides to keep him at a distance and advance her career and her lust for revenge. If she had decided to love him at this stage, she might've not gone looking for Joel. Mel then comes into the picture as Owen can't wait forever for Abby to come around but he still has feelings for her. The scene where she wins the crossbow competition and he is reluctant to add her name to the leaderboard shows that he wants to keep his relationship with her a secret from Mel but he relents when she pressures him to add her name to the board. Mel would likely not like this relationship and that's why she doesn't like Abby. Mel's dislike is then further exasperated when Abby kills Joel and it's likely what causes her immense dislike of Abby. That's my take on that love triangle. Nothing weird really, just a normal love triangle where people don't like other people for obvious reasons.

Shooting them in the head was unnecessary - incidentally that wasn't my 'canon' ending, on every play-through I shot them in the leg.
And yet he died instantly even if you shoot him in the leg. The game needs you to shoot him and if it isn't a head shot, the game made it so.

Back