Xbox Series S [XBSS] (Lockhart) General Rumors and Speculation *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, xbox series s apparently will only have 8Gb, not even 12GB like One X. So the order of consoles is Xbox One -> Xbox One S -> Xbox Series S -> Xbox One X->Xbox Series X?

So, MS's multi-generation strategy could be:

Xbox One, Xbox One S: 720P-1080P, ~30Fps

Xbox Series S: 720P-1080P, ~30-60Fps

Xbox One X, Xbox Series X: 1440P-4K, ~30-60Fps

Thinking about it, 7.5Gb useable should equate to about 10Gb, assuming 2-3gb for OS.

Last edited:
Are you saying total memory or total Game memory? Two vastly different measurements.

So, xbox series s apparently will only have 8Gb, not even 12GB like One X. So the order of consoles is Xbox One -> Xbox One S -> Xbox Series S -> Xbox One X->Xbox Series X?
It's not as simple as that. It may have less memory and fewer TFs than XB1X but it'll be architecturally superior. I don't think the two exist side-by-side. XB1S may be maintained for the cheapest entry-level, then XBSS and XBSX. Similar to how a mid-range phone can be better and worse in different aspects to an older high-end phone of the same family that's discontinued.

Are you saying total memory or total Game memory? Two vastly different measurements.

The leaked document also mentions a Lockhart profiling mode. Sources familiar with Microsoft’s Xbox plans tell The Verge that this special Lockhart mode is part of the Xbox Series X developer kit. The devkit, codenamed Dante, allows game developers to enable a special Lockhart mode that has a profile of the performance that Microsoft wants to hit with this second console. We understand that includes 7.5GB of usable RAM, a slightly underclocked CPU speed, and around 4 teraflops of GPU performance. The Xbox Series X includes 13.5GB of usable RAM, and targets 12 teraflops of GPU performance.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/26/...eries-x-lockhart-leaked-document-specs-rumors

Where was this from?

Also where you expect the resolution and fps between consoles seems very odd to me.
You basing it what you heard about the memory?

It's not as simple as that. It may have less memory and fewer TFs than XB1X but it'll be architecturally superior. I don't think the two exist side-by-side. XB1S may be maintained for the cheapest entry-level, then XBSS and XBSX. Similar to how a mid-range phone can be better and worse in different aspects to an older high-end phone of the same family that's discontinued.
I'm talking about Microsoft's statement about supporting all existing and new platforms for the next 3 years, for first party output anyway. They might discontinue One X and/or One S in that time.

I'm talking about Microsoft's statement about supporting all existing and new platforms for the next 3 years, for first party output anyway. They might discontinue One X and/or both One and S in that time.
Is that new? I remember last year they said there would be no nextgen console exclusives in the next two years, which from the time that statement was made would be about year after nextgen launched this Fall. Have they revised that?

So 7.5 GB Usable plus the 2.5 GB OS Reserved is 10 GB total for Lockhart. Nothing has changed.

Just like there is 13 to 13.5 GB Usable plus 2.5 GB OS Reserved is 16 GB total for SeriesX.

Do we think it's going to be 5*2GB or mixed capacity again? What are the bandwidth implications of various options? Given that they are only doing base Xbox One BC on Lockhart, I guess they didn't need to match the 12GB of the XboneX.

I personally would have felt better about 12, though, from a "what ways might XboxSX games be limited by Lockhart's existence" perspective. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that that number was arrived at after careful consideration and it won't be an issue, though. Time will tell.

I'm talking about Microsoft's statement about supporting all existing and new platforms for the next 3 years, for first party output anyway. They might discontinue One X and/or One S in that time.
Then what do you mean by your ordering? As consumers, you either own XS or XX or SX or SS. If you own XX, you won't likely buy SS as you want the best on offer. SS will be a step up for an XS owners, and XS owners won't be buying XX new to upgrade.

I was just mulling over again how much space they'll save with 5-6 memory chips and a half sized SOC. That's easily 3cm shaved off the board. I don't know why I find small consoles so pleasing. :D

upload_2020-6-26_14-39-16.png

Mainly because it seems MS want to split the consoles by TV resolution. One S and Series S targeting sub 4K with One X and Series X targeting 4K. At least that's the impression I got from MS's marketing of the One X, and also the naming conventions used.

Last edited:
Really seems like they are targeting the general performance of an Xbox One X with newer tech for Lockhart.

I personally would have felt better about 12, though, from a "what ways might XboxSX games be limited by Lockhart's existence" perspective. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt that that number was arrived at after careful consideration and it won't be an issue, though. Time will tell.
I've always wanted 12GB so that it can run BC in 1X profile. Everything apart from memory would (probably) support that.

This lower memory would mean unpatched games will run as XO.
Patched games, could probably work around it pretty easily with the use of the ssd.

I've always wanted 12GB so that it can run BC in 1X profile. Everything apart from memory would (probably) support that.

This lower memory would mean unpatched games will run as XO.
Patched games, could probably work around it pretty easily with the use of the ssd.

I fairly confident it can't. Everything we've seen points to the XBSX having two BC modes (XBOne and XBOneX) and Lockhart only having one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back